Bad news.. I think this is it.. :(

23 replies to this topic
  • Matt_Porritt

Posted August 12, 2000 - 04:41 PM

Looks like I'll be selling the bike..
It hasn't been riden this year and won't be until after New Years..
Its just getting older and worth less.

I have the opportunity to purchase a WRX STI Version 5 at a steal and make 100%+ on my money also.
So it looks like its goodbye to the bike and hello to Scooby! :)

Of course I'll sell the car and buy new bikes when the time comes..
But I can't bear the though of getting rid of my baby!! :D

------------------
--
**Ride it like you Stole it!**
Matt Porritt
99 YZ400F
Vist the Rubber Chicken Racing Online Shop
Discounts for ThumperTalk members.

• RodH

Posted August 12, 2000 - 06:16 PM

I had an MY99 WRX sedan for 2 years, but sold it last month to buy a house. When the time comed for me to look at another new car there is only one that I will buy, and that's a Subaru WRX, even though 4 wheels doesn't come close to 2 wheeled fun, the WRX is the most fun I have ever had on 4 !
Here is some pics http://www.act.wrx.com.au/rodwrx/

------------------
RodH Canberra, Australia<A HREF="http://www.400thumpers.com" TARGET=_blank>
400 Thumpers Australia</A>
2000 WR400F See Photo's and Modifications

• Matt_Porritt

Posted August 12, 2000 - 10:10 PM

What did you may for it Rod?
Was it an STI?

I can pick this one up for $18k kiwi on the road..

------------------
--
Matt Porritt
99 YZ400F

• RodH

Posted August 13, 2000 - 01:44 PM

mine was the standard WRX, and it was still $43k on road (new price), and over here tha STi's are worth $60k as they are not in the line up of Subuaru's, they were just a one off import of 400 units.

At that price I would go for it, have you driven one ?
If not, when you do you will probably want it, but the best part about the whole car is the AWD in the wet, you can absolutley fly around corners in the rain :)

------------------
RodH Canberra, Australia<A HREF="http://www.400thumpers.com" TARGET=_blank>
400 Thumpers Australia</A>
2000 WR400F See Photo's and Modifications

• Matt_Porritt

Posted August 13, 2000 - 02:50 PM

I've driven MANY Subarus since my accident.
Twin turbo manual waggon was ok but the torque hole between the turbos was shocking!
Standard WRX.. OK.. hoot to drive.
RA WRX.. cool V.quick but alloy panels dent really easy and there is no power windows or anything.
STI WRX.. YEAH!! 3rd gear hard accell. and you have to really concentrate on the road and corners as you're doing 140+ with the needle wanting to jump towards the 200 mark.
The thing I link about the STI apart from the standard brute power is the close ratio box.
You're running out of 4th on the 1/4 mile.. and thats pushin the 170 mark.. with a gear to go... Always got a snap of power no matter what gear you're in! :)

------------------
--
Matt Porritt
99 YZ400F

• ScottyR

Posted August 13, 2000 - 05:07 PM

I must be missing something here! Are you guys really getting all excited about a Subaru?? That looks like an Impreza model that we get here in Canada. What is so special about it? My family owns a car dealership and honestly, Subarus are a bit of a joke here in Canada! I am not trying to stir up any sh-t here just trying to figure out what this car is all about. How much is it?

• Matt_Porritt

Posted August 13, 2000 - 11:04 PM

You guys don't get the turbos do you?

These cars put out 206kw from the factory!

When you've driven an STI come back and talk a little more! :)

CAN YOU SAY "WANK FACTOR"!!? :D :D

------------------
--
Matt Porritt
99 YZ400F

• Mitch_from_Oz

Posted August 14, 2000 - 01:16 AM

Hey Matt,

Sounds like a dream. I just picked up an SS Commodore:

250kW
6 speed Gear Box
Race suspension and body work

Can you say power slide and 100kmh in first. Max speed is 260+km/h YEAH baby.

Mitchie

• ScottyR

Posted August 14, 2000 - 02:15 AM

As I said earlier, I'm not trying to stir up any sh-t. We dont get anything like that in Canada for sure! Sounds cool enough! AWD works good on the Subarus we get up here. Sorry if I ruffled any feathers! Scotty

• Mitch_from_Oz

Posted August 14, 2000 - 04:06 AM

Hey Scotty,

Matt is just stirring you up... He meant nothing by it :D We Australians and New Zealanders like stirring it up.... :)

Mitch

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Matt_Porritt

Posted August 14, 2000 - 03:15 PM

Stirring?? &%$#@!??
NO.. I'M GENUINELY PISSED!! :D :D :D :D :D

You Yanks and Cannos will never experience a real performance car!! :) :D
(neither will you Roo shaggers!.. yes Mitch.. that includes you!.. Holden=Haha! :D )

------------------
--
Matt Porritt
99 YZ400F

[This message has been edited by Matt Porritt (edited 08-14-2000).]

• So_Cal_Erik

Posted August 14, 2000 - 04:10 PM

I just gotta know what a Roo Shagger is!
And what does kw stand for, how does that convert to horse power? Man you aussies have some really Whacked out slang words, :D almost as strange as those Brits! I thought Taffy was hard to understand. :)
Erik

• Mitch_from_Oz

Posted August 14, 2000 - 05:10 PM

Kwatt to Hp

Divide the kWatt value by 745 and you get HP.

Matt, you sheep shaggers over there in Kiwi Land really know how to drive. So well, that you use your teeth as sheers... :)

Subaru - HA... Actually, almost bought one, but I have always wanted soemthing that would scare me.... The Subaru ios a great car, but too easy to drive. I wanted a challenge, that is why I ride Blue... :D

Mitch

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted August 14, 2000 - 06:09 PM

I am looking for the subaru here in Canada. Unfortunately, we don't have the turbo version and it just have 165 hp (1hp= 745 watts). Pollution law they say...

• imported_Scott_H

Posted August 14, 2000 - 07:46 PM

roo shaggers...
sheep shaggers...

You guys crack me up :D

275hp subees!

Man, I'm learning all kinds of cool things on this web site!

By the way, how many $kiwi per $yank these days?

Also, who makes a SS Commodore?(335hp! :) )

About the best we do here in the US in the reasonably affordable awd jap car market is the 210hp turbo mitsu gsx eclipse

I think I need to relocate to OZ or NZ someday (guess I'll have to decide if I prefer roos or sheep :D ). The eco nazis will probably drive me out of my country with all the brain washing that’s going on around here. Sounds like you guys have it all right down there!

Cheers!
Scott

[This message has been edited by scott h (edited 08-15-2000).]

• Mitch_from_Oz

Posted August 14, 2000 - 08:29 PM

Hey Scott,

SS Commodore - Holden, General Motors.. Australian designed car but Chevy 5.7 litre motor. Two options exist for the car a 220kWatt or a 250kWatt. I chose the big boy.

I am currently running in the car and she scares the living shite out of me. The Car redlines at 5,500RPM and the tac stops at 7,000RPM. But, Holden/GM states that it goes well beyond that and can supposedly do in excess of 260km/h.... YEEEHAAAAAAA

Mitch

• Matt_Porritt

Posted August 14, 2000 - 09:24 PM

Yeah but your lump of lard when modified will only then be on the 1/4 mile pace of a stock STI.

Kiwi to US is about 2.1:1.
US won't let turbos Scoobies in as when involved in a heavy frontal the turbo slightly dents the firewall.. this is changed for 2001.. so you'll be getting them then.. but the 01 models look FOUL!! :)

I've seen 400hps model with little modification.. also seen pics of a 750hp model!
Remember .. these engines are a 4 cylinder of 2litre displacement (750hp is 2.2l)

------------------
--
Matt Porritt
99 YZ400F

• Darren_Santilli

Posted August 14, 2000 - 10:40 PM

whats the difference between a wrx and a an sti??

• Matt_Porritt

Posted August 15, 2000 - 01:17 AM

Close ratio box, better seats, bigger brakes, 4 pot calipers instead of 2 pot, better intercooler, heavier clutch and gearbox, 70hp, LS Diffs, better turbo, run 4psi more boost standard, better inlet manifold flow and exhaust, stronger engine internals, better suspension and stut braces..

ABILITY TO PRODUCE ALT MORE POWER!! :) :D

------------------
--
Matt Porritt
99 YZ400F

• CraigW

Posted August 15, 2000 - 04:52 AM

Matt

I cant believe you want to sell your bike to buy a car - there is just no comparison.

I drive a BMW M3 (the 228KW / 308 KW version) and it does n't come close to my KTM520 for sheer pleasure.

True I can get quite an andrenilin rush when I really crank it up on the road. But the risks involved are normally exponentially high when going crazy on the road with a car. Besides the change of killing yourself, one small miscalculation costs you big bucks - at least I just take a mallet to my bike rims when I dent them, on the car with its 17" alloy wheels you are talking bankrupcy.

The other day I went through a radar speed trap at 270km/h on the clock (car was on the speed governor). Luckily the cops didnt get my number plate otherwise I would probably be writing this reply from a cosy cell with a big black dude opposite me checking out my cute ass. The fine , if you were lucky enough to get one would be about $4000. The trouble is that when you have such a fast car you invariably use its power. When things go seriously wrong just once, you are in big **** .

By comparison how many times can you go over the edge with your dirt bike and still be able to joke about it over a beer.

I am seriously considering buying a diesel double cab van to keep myself in check (or I could buy 3 new KTM/YZFs and still have change for a cheap car).

If only I could bring myself to sell the car, its just so nice to drive. Seriously though, if I had to choose between my car and bike bike, I would keep the bike.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.