springs?..boing!

16 replies to this topic
  • bigwake

Posted August 07, 2007 - 07:15 PM

ok i'm 255 lbs..and riding stock rear spring on my 03 yz450f..is a 5.4 enough for me?..i have a chance to buy one..and i have no idea what these numbers are..any help?

• 642MX

Posted August 07, 2007 - 07:26 PM

ok i'm 255 lbs..and riding stock rear spring on my 03 yz450f..is a 5.4 enough for me?..i have a chance to buy one..and i have no idea what these numbers are..any help?

A 5.4 is too soft for you. I'm 225 and use .48 springs on the front and a 5.8 on the rear.

Go over to Race Techs website and use the spring rate calculator, it will tell you exactly what you need.

• bigwake

Posted August 07, 2007 - 07:27 PM

ya..where is the calc?i couldnt find it..

• 642MX

Posted August 07, 2007 - 07:33 PM

ya..where is the calc?i couldnt find it..

Fork calculator: http://www.racetech....SpringType=Fork

Shock calculator: http://www.racetech....pringType=Shock

• bigwake

Posted August 07, 2007 - 07:34 PM

sweet thanx!

• 642MX

Posted August 07, 2007 - 07:37 PM

Happy to help!

• bigwake

Posted August 07, 2007 - 07:37 PM

..well..i used it..and all it says is not available..so it did not work for me..

• grayracer513

Posted August 07, 2007 - 09:46 PM

That link won't work because of the way the site is set up. Go to http://www.racetech.com/ , click "Dirt Bike" , then look for Spring Rates Search at the left.

Their recommendations are .50 for the front, and 5.8 at the rear.

The numbers are rates in kg/mm. in the case of the fronts, each spring requires .50 kg of applied pressure to compress 1mm. The rear requires 5.8 kg to compress it the same amount.

The fronts are so much lighter because there are two of them working together, and they act directly on the load. The rear works alone, and is at about a 3:1 disadvantage because of being mounted so far forward of the wheel.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PatrickM

Posted August 07, 2007 - 11:06 PM

I weight about 265 lbs and I have a 5.9 Kg rear spring on my YZ400F.

my shop guy said that anything more than that would be way too stiff and would only be used if you do lots jumping.

I hope this helps...

Patrick M.

• bigwake

Posted August 08, 2007 - 04:32 AM

ya..that deffinately helps..i was offered a 5.4..so there's no point in me getting it if its no better than what i already have..thanx

• Yz400Flyer

Posted August 08, 2007 - 02:17 PM

I'm a suspension noobie, and trying to learn more about that foreign world...

The site says that I need lighter springs and fork springs cause I am failry light (99 400)

If the springs are too stiff what will happen to the handling (rougher ride most likely?)

And if they are too soft, do you just bottom out easier?

Is there more to it?

A

• 642MX

Posted August 08, 2007 - 02:37 PM

I'm a suspension noobie, and trying to learn more about that foreign world...

The site says that I need lighter springs and fork springs cause I am failry light (99 400)

If the springs are too stiff what will happen to the handling (rougher ride most likely?)

And if they are too soft, do you just bottom out easier?

Is there more to it?

A

There is more to it, but I'm not an expert on the subject. The correct springs help the bike track smoothly, corner properly and be able to handle jumps. Too light of a spring, and the bike will be riding down to far in the suspension stroke and you won't be taking full advantage of the valving. And its just the opposite if you have too much spring.

• moto2000

Posted August 08, 2007 - 04:55 PM

When I go to the spring calculator, all it says is "ouch"...

......is it trying to tell me something?

:lol:

• Yz400Flyer

Posted August 08, 2007 - 05:17 PM

When I go to the spring calculator, all it says is "ouch"...

......is it trying to tell me something?

:lol:

It is saying, get off the Wisconsin cheese and Milwaukee's "Beast"! LoL

• Quack

Posted August 08, 2007 - 05:28 PM

I got the same rating for my springs, I think I should get off the cheese and the Miller myself at this point...... no, why take the fun out of it?

• matts06yzf

Posted August 09, 2007 - 05:05 AM

ya..that deffinately helps..i was offered a 5.4..so there's no point in me getting it if its no better than what i already have..thanx

I am 6'4 250 and to get correct sag etc with gear on, I am 6.2 on rear I ride all Mx and supercross. If you are doing alot of jumping a 5.8 will be to soft also. Look on mxtech.com or call enzo etc. Enzo wanted me at 6.4 which sometimes I feel would have been better for me

• bigwake

Posted August 09, 2007 - 06:30 AM

i am doing zero jumps..only hitting bumps when i ride

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.