XR650R Tall Rider Bar choices

16 replies to this topic
  • philipstjohn

Posted August 07, 2007 - 05:33 PM

When I bought the bike it came with a BRP upper triple clamp and Pro Taper Contour CR Mid's installed. I am 6'2", and I feel a little uncomfortable in the standing mode unless I am leaned back with my ass over the rear fender going over the whoops. I have read prior posts on the subject, and have found different specs with all the manufactures on CR high. What are you tall guys finding works for you with a simular set up? If I go to a taller bar will I have to re cable everything? Thanks for the help and suggestions as always...:ride:

• eastreich

Posted August 07, 2007 - 08:07 PM

I am 6'4". I have the Pastrana Free-Style bend Pro-Tapers. They have a 4" rise to them, and are narrower from the factory than normal MX bend bars. I also have Cycra Solution mount handguards with this setup.

I should note that these are sitting in a CR500 BRP top triple clamp. As you are well aware (but a noob may not), an aftermarket clamp moves the bars much farther forward for a little more room in the cockpit for us big guys.

No problems with cable fitment.

• martinfan30

Posted August 08, 2007 - 06:54 AM

i am 6'5" and i put roxspeedfx 2 " pivoting risers on my L. love em. a lot of adjustment range.

• Desertskyy

Posted August 08, 2007 - 07:29 AM

I am about the same height as you and I am running the BRP triple clamp. I am not sure what the height is of my triple clamp bar risers though. You can get different heights from BRP. I am running the ProTaper CR high bars with no cable issues or problems. I used to have a set of Doug Henry bend bars but after a high speed, lets get introduced to the ground get off I had to replace them. The CR high bars were the ticket. Much better when standing.

Good luck

• Denn10

Posted August 08, 2007 - 07:45 AM

i am 6'5" and i put roxspeedfx 2 " pivoting risers on my L. love em. a lot of adjustment range.

cuz your lucky azz got em for free LOL i dont know how i missed on that since im on here about every day about 630 am Lucky Dog!!! Ive always used CR high bend and love em im 6'2"

• martinfan30

Posted August 08, 2007 - 08:17 AM

cuz your lucky azz got em for free LOL i dont know how i missed on that since im on here about every day about 630 am Lucky Dog!!! Ive always used CR high bend and love em im 6'2"

i saw that post from rockspeed at 7:30! you were already on for an hour! slow and old!!LOL!:ride:

• BIGGITY

Posted August 08, 2007 - 01:27 PM

I am 6'4". I have the Pastrana Free-Style bend Pro-Tapers. They have a 4" rise to them, and are narrower from the factory than normal MX bend bars. I also have Cycra Solution mount handguards with this setup.

I should note that these are sitting in a CR500 BRP top triple clamp. As you are well aware (but a noob may not), an aftermarket clamp moves the bars much farther forward for a little more room in the cockpit for us big guys.

No problems with cable fitment.

I second the Pastrana Freeestyles.

I also have the BRP triple clamps and the BRP Scotts stabalizer sub mount which gives it an extra inch. I'm 6'7 though and I'm still pretty bent over when standing.

If anyone else has any ideas on how to raise them more I'd love to hear it.:thumbsup:

• philipstjohn

Posted August 08, 2007 - 01:32 PM

I was considering the CR HI'S, and think this might be the call. I have the PT Contour's now, and I have not gone down "high speed hard yet", so they seem to work well. Do you think the EVO'S are the way to go since I am buying new bars, or will I be fine going with the Contour's and saving a few bucks? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated....:applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • eastreich

Posted August 08, 2007 - 04:45 PM

The set of Pro-Tapers that I have now are my second set. I first bought a set for my KX500 in '98 (KX hi bend). Put those on my 2000 650R. Put them on my '01 650R when I blew up the '00. Took them off the 650R when the Pastrana free-style bend came out for more room. I have not bent the KX bend yet; I took them off to put them on my Arctic Cat race sled. And I crash REAL hard. Quite regulary. Don't MX a 650 and expect to not go through lots of parts!:bonk:

One of my buddies bought a new set of Contours last year for his KTM 380. Made it two rides. Now he has a set of original (evo) Pro-Tapers. And a Honda 450X!

The originals are worth the dough!

(If you crash and bend, I claim no responsibility!:smirk: )

• Thorpey

Posted August 08, 2007 - 08:18 PM

+1 on the KX hi

• philipstjohn

Posted August 09, 2007 - 04:09 AM

+1 on the KX hi

These seem pretty high... with Pro Taper- the difference between CR Mid's and CR Hi's in rise is 13mm, which is the same difference between the CR Hi's and the KX Hi's. The sweep is less with the KX's compared the CR Hi's, and close to the same with the Mid's. Compared to inches-how much is a "mm"? ... :confused:

• RdrMtn

Posted August 09, 2007 - 04:24 AM

One inch=25.4mm (millimeters) :thumbsup:

I know you guys are talking pro tapers here, but for those who are looking for a 7/8" set of tall bars to bolt onto their stock mounts, the Jimmy Button bend Renthals are their tallest choice. I'm 6'3" and love them.

• Supplicate

Posted August 09, 2007 - 05:51 AM

+1 on the KX Hi & BRP 'SUB' mount

• eastreich

Posted August 09, 2007 - 03:42 PM

These seem pretty high... with Pro Taper- the difference between CR Mid's and CR Hi's in rise is 13mm, which is the same difference between the CR Hi's and the KX Hi's. The sweep is less with the KX's compared the CR Hi's, and close to the same with the Mid's. Compared to inches-how much is a "mm"? ... :confused:

13mm=1/2in. To be a little more exact, there are 25.4mm in 1 inch. When I bought the KX Hi bend, the reason I chose them over the CR Hi was the lesser sweep; I have really wide shoulders. I tend to get blisters on the insides of my thumbs with bars that have a lot of sweep.

As I look at the Pro Taper applications now, I see that you cannot get the Pastrana FMX bend in the EVO. That sucks. I just don't really like the Contour bar. If you don't want the narrow Pastrana FMX bars, the ATV Hi bend is same, just wider.

• philipstjohn

Posted August 09, 2007 - 06:15 PM

13mm=1/2in. To be a little more exact, there are 25.4mm in 1 inch. When I bought the KX Hi bend, the reason I chose them over the CR Hi was the lesser sweep; I have really wide shoulders. I tend to get blisters on the insides of my thumbs with bars that have a lot of sweep.

As I look at the Pro Taper applications now, I see that you cannot get the Pastrana FMX bend in the EVO. That sucks. I just don't really like the Contour bar. If you don't want the narrow Pastrana FMX bars, the ATV Hi bend is same, just wider.

The EVO bends are much more limited... I noticed the difference between the CR Mid's I have now and the KX Hi's is 1 inch or so in height, but nearly the same sweep... so if I like the feel of the Cr Mid's but look for more height while standing, maybe this may be the way to go...? But it is not available in the EVO bar...:cry: :cry:

• philipstjohn

Posted August 11, 2007 - 08:07 PM

KX HI'S or CR HI'S? 6'2" wide shoulder guy...? EVO option is only in the CR HI

• Buckshot44

Posted August 13, 2007 - 07:33 PM

I'm 6'4" and was running an rtt stabilizer/triple clamp with tag cr high bend. The triple clamp was on the forward setting..... Awesome...

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.