help! yz or wr?

6 replies to this topic
  • yo_its_matt

Posted August 11, 2000 - 04:04 PM

i took the last year off from racing hare scrambles here in n.c. and i wanna get back on a 4 stroke, ive pretty much decided on the 01 426yz or wr? any ideas? pros? cons? my dealer is little help. i raced an xr600 2 years but it was so heavy, an xr400 but it wasnt what i really wanted a ktm 300mxc great bike but i was better on a 4-stroke.
amy healp would be apreciated

Posted August 12, 2000 - 04:54 AM

sounds like your choice is up to do you want the lights and close ratio tranny....seems like everyone re-times their bike to YZ spec anyway. both get the bigger engine for 2001.

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted August 12, 2000 - 05:22 AM

You have the advantage to dual sport a WR, if you can get a plate for it, like many of us have done.
Several guys are mx-ing their WR's.

Conceivably, you can dual sport your WR to the MX track, strip off your lights, race it, re-attach your stuff and dual sport home. Now you obviously won't do this, but YOU HAVE THE OPTION.

My two cents.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted August 12, 2000 - 05:24 AM

Wr and Yz have the same motor except for the timing. You just have to choose between: 1- Bigger tank, wider ratio, softer suspension and seat, light or 2- close ratio, small tank, no light. 1- is the wr and 2- is the Yz.
The bigger issue is the gear ratio since this is the only thing you cannot switch between yz and wr configuration without selling your house!! Choose the transmission and the bike is choosen.

• Clark_Mason

Posted August 12, 2000 - 05:43 AM

The wide ratio transmission, kickstand, lighting coil, heaver flwywheel weight, larger tank, all make the WR a seperior trail bike over any YZ. The first and seond gears on the YZ are very tall and almost useless on any real trail. The taller 4th and 5th gears on the WR are much better suted to fast open terain and a absolute must if you dual sport the bike and ride on the street.

Yes you can gear down the YZ final drive ratio 25 to 30% to make the low gears trail compatable but then you run out of top end at about 60-65MPH.

My 2 cents worth

I trail ride and dual sport the WR is the only choice for me.

• yo_its_matt

Posted August 12, 2000 - 07:22 AM

my biggest concern is how different is the suspension and transmission? i am only gonna race and trail ride, the lights would come off anyway, do i need to revalve a wr for serious trails?

• Bill

Posted August 14, 2000 - 02:49 AM

I ride a WR in NC. I have done one GNCC. But I'm not very good in the woods. I prefer to ride MX. My WR has the stock timing. Which I will change after I get a little faster in the woods.

It is advised that you do invest in the YZ seat and tank combo. You can't make a two hour race with the stock YZ tank but at least you'll be able to turn the bike. If you buy an aftermarket tank like the Clark or IMS then you can go the two hours.

My buddy Jeff is a lot faster than me and rides the YZF. He is considering a YZ250f for a race bike.

Whatever you decide you'll be happy. Get a hold of me when you do get a bike or before.

86TT225, 98CR80, 99WR, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. Odometer and headlight removed. Moose hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank and IMS seat. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.