Metallic ringing noise

12 replies to this topic
  • asf

Posted August 07, 2007 - 02:33 PM

I am hearing a wierd metallic ring in 2nd and 3rd when the bike is vibrating alot. Mostly high revs at constant throttle. Sound coming from right, sounds like towards the front.

Almost sounds like a ducat dry clutch, or a dragging brake pad on the rotor on my sportbike. But I tried applying the F = R brake at speed and sound is still there. I poked around all the bolts and everything seems tight...

Any thoughts? Sounds like something is loose and rattling but I have no idea from where. Inside the motor? Outside the motor? :excuseme:

• asf

Posted August 07, 2007 - 02:37 PM

BTW the bike has 1300 street miles on rebuid, no metal in oil, and a valve check at 1000 miles and tightened to spec.

Sound is not there in 4th or 5th, but the motor is definitely tight in 4th or 5th due to me pushing against the wind, thats why I suspect it is something loose inside.

• cleonard

Posted August 07, 2007 - 03:24 PM

Check that everything is tight on the outside first. On mine the little heat shield on the header pipe on the side of the engine makes an incredible metallic rattle/ringing. It is just barely loose. If it is loose at all it could be making the noise you describe. At speed it has enough wind blasting against it to quiet it down.

On another bike I was getting this terrible growling noise. I was sure that the engine was about to blow. It turned out to be the speedometer. :bonk: A little oil and it went away.

• martinfan30

Posted August 07, 2007 - 04:06 PM

Check that everything is tight on the outside first. On mine the little heat shield on the header pipe on the side of the engine makes an incredible metallic rattle/ringing. It is just barely loose. If it is loose at all it could be making the noise you describe. At speed it has enough wind blasting against it to quiet it down.

On another bike I was getting this terrible growling noise. I was sure that the engine was about to blow. It turned out to be the speedometer. :bonk: A little oil and it went away.

i have something similar on my xrl. sounds like from the forks. cant pinpoint, but same gear range.

• DenialDeath

Posted November 21, 2007 - 11:02 AM

I had something like this similar happening to my XRL. IT was the top motor mount, one of the bolts was vibrating out and against the inside of the fuel tank (which is metal on the XRL)

• yammx

Posted December 04, 2007 - 10:58 PM

@asf, can you tell me what finally the problem was.
I have the same noise.

Thanks!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • weskc35k

Posted December 05, 2007 - 01:48 AM

I have it too,it's called tinitis i think.

• rdahl

Posted December 05, 2007 - 07:44 AM

Do you have an over sized free floating front rotor? Those tend to rattle some at idle.

• asf

Posted December 05, 2007 - 12:43 PM

I took my chain guard off and now the ringing is almost gone.

I think 2nd gear is just really noisy on the XR's and especially when you have a lage countershaft sprocket or a small rear sprocket ( I am running 14/40 on a supermoto 17" rear wheel) I think the noise gets worse.

Bike still rides and shifts like a dream so Im trying to ignore it. No metal in oil filter, etc. :thumbsup:

• philipstjohn

Posted December 05, 2007 - 08:27 PM

When I first bought my XR650R, it was slightly used, so when I rode it the first few times, I was almost "looking for some unusual noises". I thought the bike seemed to make alot of "wierd noises" at first, but I soon realized it was just its "own purr". Maybe since you just rebuilt it, you were "looking for" noises and you now hear things you never heard before, because you were not listening or looking for any potential "negative noises" or issues before? Just a thought, but as mentioned by some prior you should double check all is tight. No metal in the oil is good, if the valves are adjusted just right, and the bike is running great aside from this noise, just get out and ride. :thumbsup:

• XRsteve

Posted December 06, 2007 - 03:44 PM

I had a ringing noise after I installed a glide plate on my XR400. If you have a glide/skid plate check that. You should be able to hear it just revving it up.

• FoolishMortal

Posted December 06, 2007 - 09:44 PM

I lost the bolt for the little heat shield that sits behind the rear brake reservoir - made a hell of a racket. :thumbsup: Replaced the bolt...done.

• DenialDeath

Posted December 08, 2007 - 08:36 PM

The next thumper I get will have all of the hardware painted a fluorescent color so I can find the bolts/nuts that vibrate off.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.