Re Routing the Breather hoses?

7 replies to this topic
  • ray_lebreton

Posted August 09, 2000 - 06:58 PM

i searched the archives and found no usefull information on the subject but i was wondering which of the million hoses on my carb can i reroute into my airbox to stop the bike from bogging in deep water?

• Clark_Mason

Posted August 09, 2000 - 07:03 PM

Ray

On your carburetor there will be four (4) float bowl vent tubes and one overflow tube the black one that comes straight out the bottom. The two vent tubes which start out pointed up (one on each side) should be routed into the air box. The other two which are pointed down can continue down to below the frame. Make sure the ends are etiher split for 3/4 of and inch or cut on a angle so not to clog with crud.

Clark

• ray_lebreton

Posted August 10, 2000 - 05:47 AM

am i stupid or what i see the four hoses but on my oo wr they all run straight down. there are two hoses on the top and two on the bottom. which two hoses are the breather hoses? is there any way to tell?

• tbronco

Posted August 10, 2000 - 07:35 AM

It looks like your '00 has a different vent configuration.

'98 WR:

Posted Image

'00 WR:

Posted Image

on the '98, both #57 hoses start out going up.

for the '00, I would guess the #52 hose. By the way it looks, you will need to put in a T connector to run 1 end of #52 down, and 1 up, for both sides of the carb.

Does anyone know if a T is necessary?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • James_in_New_Mexico

Posted August 10, 2000 - 11:48 AM

Are you guys rerouting to the top of the air box?

James

• ray_lebreton

Posted August 10, 2000 - 07:16 PM

thank you very much that diagram is very helpfull! :)

• ray_lebreton

Posted August 11, 2000 - 05:56 PM

why would you need a t connector doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose?

• tbronco

Posted August 13, 2000 - 07:01 AM

James, Yes, I have a '98 and ran them past the top of the shock and into the airbox. Nothing fancy, they just lay in there.

Ray, Glad to help.

why would you need a t connector doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose?

It depends on the carb design. I didn't use one because in effect there is already one there (refer to exploded view, T is between #57 & #58 hoses).
You would need one if gas runs out of the hose in question when the bike's on it's side.

No, it doesn't defeat the purpose. The bike stalls in deep water because it draws a vaccum on the float bowl... not because water is getting in. A T will allow fuel to drain if needed, while still venting the bowl when the bottom hose is submerged.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.