What's Going To Happen To The 650R?

131 replies to this topic
  • rkwfxd1

Posted September 06, 2007 - 01:38 PM

Eastriech,

First of all let me appologize. Even though I aked you not to take it the wrong way, your post reads to me like you did a bit. I was not trying to call you out or question your honesty I just wanted something a little more solid than a basic post from a guy I don't know.

I would have been totally happy with a reply to the effect of....I am good friends with a dealer and the GM and they told me......

Sounds like you have some solid informaiton there. Thank you for sharing. This really gives me some hope.

Thanks again and ride safe

• eastreich

Posted September 06, 2007 - 03:04 PM

I wasn't taking that way at all. I just wanted everyone to know where I was getting the info from. Trying to legitimize it as best as I could. If it came off seeming like I was pissed for being called out, I apologize. That was not my intention at all.

Everyone has sources, the he said, she said, my sister's cousin's stepson's best friends brother that was walking a dog who pooped on the lawn of a Yamaha sales rep that was pissed his buddy the Honda rep hadn't told him about XX and was ranting in the front yard...

We all hear so many things that it can get really trying at times as one rumor after another passes over the 'net. I just really wanted to say that I trust the information that I got. This is why I am keeping my hopes up.

So for now, lets just patiently wait, and pray. Pray lots. To God, Allah, Buddha, Thor, Zeus, or whatever diety you seek for guidance and pray!

And if it doesn't happen, worship Jack, Jim, the Captain, Bud, or whatever other substance you need to drown out the horrors that Honda has decreed on the 650R population.

• eastreich

Posted September 06, 2007 - 03:15 PM

I guess if you did want to think of other bikes that may come out:

CBR125R is a hit in every market it is sold in (125cc EFI liquid cooled). If Honda brought this bike to the States it would outsell the Ninja 250 in a landslide IMO.
New CB600F (Hornet) in Europe (but the slow sales in the US may eliminate this Italian built bike)
New CB1000F (Hornet) (see above)
XR650SM. Yeah, it may be a 650L motor, but it is still WAY cool. Maybe updated with a EFI 700XX motor to take on the KTM 690SM?

Personally, I think with gas prices and inner city travel getting to be worse all the time, if Honda did start to import the small bikes now (they are sold everywhere else in the world), they would get a leg up on the competition.

• rkwfxd1

Posted September 06, 2007 - 04:09 PM

So for now, lets just patiently wait, and pray. Pray lots. To God, Allah, Buddha, Thor, Zeus, or whatever diety you seek for guidance and pray!

And if it doesn't happen, worship Jack, Jim, the Captain, Bud, or whatever other substance you need to drown out the horrors that Honda has decreed on the 650R population.

Amen brother

• bosshog

Posted September 06, 2007 - 05:37 PM

I guess if you did want to think of other bikes that may come out:

CBR125R is a hit in every market it is sold in (125cc EFI liquid cooled). If Honda brought this bike to the States it would outsell the Ninja 250 in a landslide IMO.

We've had It here for a year or so now. They're really trying to get the first time buyers. $149 a month almost nothing down. You get all your riding gear and a 3 year warranty and roadside assistance. There was talk of including trainning classes aswell for those who wish to get a licence. $149 bones sounds high to me for such a small bike but otherwise they seem to have everything else covered. Don't forget the racing class that would spring from it aswell.

• porterdog

Posted September 07, 2007 - 05:56 AM

This is what Eric (the guy who runs the PigPen [http://www.xr650r.us/]) had to say this morning... can you tell he's a little peeved?! :thumbsup:

"I'm sure the Mags didn't help the pig sales a whole lot. When the beast
came out, she was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Then all the
editors and testers turned gay, realizing they couldn't handle a four
stroke above 80cc, and termed the big XR "big, fat, heavy, and
obsolete". Of course Honda listened, and all the wana-bee's watching the
X-game morons kill themselves, and decided that they too had to have a
rev-to-the-moon weenie bike, not realizing once they got it home that
they couldn't afford the maintenance with their meager weekly allowances.

Pu*sies!"

LMAO.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • InternalCombustion

Posted September 07, 2007 - 06:41 AM

This is what Eric (the guy who runs the PigPen [http://www.xr650r.us/]) had to say this morning... can you tell he's a little peeved?! :thumbsup:

Of course Honda listened, and all the wana-bee's watching the
X-game morons kill themselves, and decided that they too had to have a
rev-to-the-moon weenie bike, not realizing once they got it home that they couldn't afford the maintenance with their meager weekly allowances.

Pu*sies!"

LMAO.

Yep, he sounds mad. Sadly, a lot of what he suggests as Honda's thinking is probably true.
In any case, Honda is still Honda: they like winning, they like being the big dog, they see what's happening in the "Adventure bike" market. Honda is not stupid. They ARE going to introduce a big-a$$, kick-a$$ DS. it WILL happen.

So, to quote eastreich, let's hope and pray for a small miracle in the Sept 28th announcement.
Ride safe.

• Scotty Breauxman

Posted September 07, 2007 - 11:42 AM

What's Going To Happen To The 650R?

????????????????????????????????????

I'm keeping mine!!!!!

• dezracerE

Posted September 07, 2007 - 12:50 PM

Yep, he sounds mad. Sadly, a lot of what he suggests as Honda's thinking is probably true.
In any case, Honda is still Honda: they like winning, they like being the big dog, they see what's happening in the "Adventure bike" market. Honda is not stupid. They ARE going to introduce a big-a$$, kick-a$$ DS. it WILL happen.

So, to quote eastreich, let's hope and pray for a small miracle in the Sept 28th announcement.
Ride safe.

I am in the adventure bike market- I was going to pull the trigger on the 08 KLR650. Should I wait another month again?
Please "Help me Honda. help help me Honda"

• InternalCombustion

Posted September 07, 2007 - 01:12 PM

I am in the adventure bike market- I was going to pull the trigger on the 08 KLR650. Should I wait another month again?
Please "Help me Honda. help help me Honda"

I would, its just a couple more weeks... who knows, Honda may have a nice little surprise for us. Maybe.

• weskc35k

Posted September 07, 2007 - 03:14 PM

The XR650R is plated in a few countries so it could be rebadged as an L and a new big bore offroader could be born?
Yeah i know.

• Nummie

Posted September 08, 2007 - 07:40 AM

Interesting::thumbsup:
I'd sure like to see a fuel injected, 700cc, electric start one of these.
I'd also like to see a more usefull subframe, but that's just being picky.

http://www.euroboost...-enduro-de.html
Posted Image

Babelfish translation:

"With the CONQUEST OF LARGE ESPACES
Nouveauté in 2007, the XR 650 is proposed in a version equipped with the electric starter.
This installation was very awaited and allows of a simple pressure on this small "magic" button the startup of the engine. Robustness and power are two dominant qualifiers for this devourer of spaces. Its one-cylinder of 650cc with liquid cooling placed perfectly in its frame gives a compact unit. This machine of enduro preserves a surprising handiness and a good directional stability thanks to its hydraulic fork Showa Ø 47mm and its suspension postpones Prolink.
It is predestined for the great crossings The version with starting with the kick is always proposed with the catalogue"

Of course thse translations suck.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.