What's Going To Happen To The 650R?

131 replies to this topic
  • Cobalt650

Posted September 05, 2007 - 09:11 AM

Husky 123,
Couldn't help but notice that your "You get it" post was post #650. A good sign, I do believe. As a fierce leader once announced to his men, "Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?":ride:

• Rman of 237

Posted September 05, 2007 - 09:21 AM

The convention started today, we don't get to know until tonight: 2:00am EST/11:00pm MST. That is when Honda is releasing the info on the WWW.

http://powersports.h...dels/index.asp#

I am getting antsy watching the countdown timer on the ads that Honda has on the web. Unless your dealer that is there really loves you, and wants to risk life, limb, and wrath of Honda by sending you some photos from their cell phone!

I'm gonna watch this tonight! Thanks for the link eastreich.

• eastreich

Posted September 05, 2007 - 09:25 AM

I feel like we are just lining up to watch them officially kill off the 650R and introduce OEMed steering dampers...

I'm also watching to see how close the new CBR1000RR is to the now retired 990cc RC211V...

• Rman of 237

Posted September 05, 2007 - 09:27 AM

Husky 123,
Couldn't help but notice that your "You get it" post was post #650. A good sign, I do believe. As a fierce leader once announced to his men, "Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?":ride:

Bluto huh?:thumbsup: Good one Cobalt.

• JohnnyAirtime

Posted September 05, 2007 - 11:59 AM

I can see it now, guys like us are going to have multiple 650Rs stashed in garages and shops all over the country.

We are going to be hoarding 650Rs like squirrels hoard nuts before winter.

Have you not seen "Ice Age".... :thumbsup: I'm that cracked out squirrel, trying to get a nut. hahaha....

... Tick tock on the clock, and 650Rs will become most wanted.

Not sure how ThunderChicken can say 650R owners are sliding to the plated Husky and KTM. Two totally different bikes... (or 3, however you look at it). But I know I realized just how different a bike they are when I sold for the TE. Trying to get a cross between my 450R and my 650R with the TE. It was neither by far.

Those that sell, for the Euro bikes will be ... well... without an XR, and I will be up on a good deal! :ride:

• JohnnyAirtime

Posted September 05, 2007 - 12:02 PM

http://powersports.h...dels/index.asp#

Love that link!!

• ThunderChicken

Posted September 05, 2007 - 12:13 PM

Not sure how ThunderChicken can say 650R owners are sliding to the plated Husky and KTM. Two totally different bikes... (or 3, however you look at it). But I know I realized just how different a bike they are when I sold for the TE. Trying to get a cross between my 450R and my 650R with the TE. It was neither by far.

I agree for sure. But you have to remember what the world was like back around 2000 and 2001.

KTM was still a risky choice and Husky was still pretty niche. There were not a lof of options for dual sporters.

A lot of those guys bought XR650Rs and plated them all the way up to the 2004 deadline when in reality they were candidates for the 500cc range DS bikes currently offered from KTM and Husky. However, at the time, if you were looking for something modern, cutting edge, and reliable, the 650R was the only option.

I'm calling on every plated 650R that turns up on Cycle Trader, Craigslist, here on TT, the D37 messageboard, and advrider.com.

I would say 1 out of 3 guys selling the bike say it's to get a plated KTM.

• catota

Posted September 05, 2007 - 12:55 PM

I have a 1986 xl 600r and still get parts when if needed,17,000 miles still burns no oil and like the 650r is a very powerful bike, oh yea I ride it to work everyday also, and to check out new riding spots for my other bike.So don't worry you'll still be riding your 650r many years from now

• ThunderChicken

Posted September 05, 2007 - 12:58 PM

BTW,

The going rate for legit DS 650Rs in SoCal currently is $5600 to $4600 regardless of the model year. Typically, the seller starts at $5600 and is pretty bullish on the price. The bikes then get down to around $4600 and seem to stay around that price range until they sell.

I believe a 650R with a plate should sell for $3400 to $3800. The big question is what will happen with that extra grand of inflated price over the next 6 months?

• atreiou

Posted September 06, 2007 - 02:32 AM

ok, finally no new bike for next year.... :ride:

check the links... :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • zrxer

Posted September 06, 2007 - 05:14 AM

Check out the TRX700XX. From what I can see, it kinda looks like an updated 650R engine.

• eastreich

Posted September 06, 2007 - 06:25 AM

Check out the TRX700XX. From what I can see, it kinda looks like an updated 650R engine.

I agree. I have only looked at the side view, but that is a 650R cylinder. This motor is bored and stroked compared to a 650R, but the family lineage is undeniable.

Now the two big questions that I have, and will have to wait until my dealer gets one in are:

A.) Will we be able to retrofit the e-start onto the 650R? It appears to be run off the flywheel like the Joe Racer "kit". I think that if it doesn't bolt right on, someone will have to make a kit that will allow it to. This isn't as critical to me, as I don't D/S my R (although it is plated). I race more than anything, so the weight gain is a big deal for me. If I want to keep eating donuts, my penalty is having to kick start a bike. I'm ok with that.

B.) Will we be able to retrofit the EFI ECU to the 650R? This is definitely something that I will be looking into. I know that I will be able to get the throttle body on there. If the EFI is direct port injected, then I will buy a 700XX head and cylinder to retrofit on as well. If the ECU will not work, it will be more of a challenge to get the EFI to work, but it can be done: http://www.megasquirt.info/. You just have to do all of the programming yourself!

If this works, look for a FCR41 that is setup for a XR650R on ebay this spring!

• dezracerE

Posted September 06, 2007 - 06:52 AM

WE GOT HOSED!
Thanks, but no thanks Honda.
All that nice hardware laying around and no new bike.

• eastreich

Posted September 06, 2007 - 08:48 AM

Sept. 28th is the release date for 9 more new models from Big Red. One of them will be the CBR1000RR (there are pictures of it out, but that is it; no specs, or anything else). This leaves us 8 models that hold potential.

I'll take a 12.5% chance of happiness over 0%.

Now, how to think positive for three more weeks......

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted September 06, 2007 - 10:16 AM

Sept. 28th is the release date for 9 more new models from Big Red. One of them will be the CBR1000RR (there are pictures of it out, but that is it; no specs, or anything else). This leaves us 8 models that hold potential.

And if nothing comes of it, so be it. I suppose we can all whine like stuck pigs about how Honda hosed us and how we're all going to go orange like every other Tom, Dick, and Harry in the world now. And that's fine. Just remember, there is nothing unique (or certainly mindblowing) about KTM anymore or even Husky for that matter. There is a reason that they are not listed under the exotic forum. I owned a KTM back in the mid 90's and one of the reasons I got it was because it was different, you just didn't see that many of them. Last time I checked I found as many KTMs on the trail as anything else. Fact is, they are darn good bikes. KTM has grown so much in the last 7 years or so because they listen to what riders want and then go build it- -quickly. My next bike could very well be one. But it'd take not a
2nd thought to jump ship back to Honda if they produce the bike for me. That bike could be a 650R with better suspension and 10 lbs less weight or it could be a bigger engined 450X. I've owned enough of them to have always appreciated the build quality and the way I instantly feel comfortable on them. And I have never ever been stranded on one. If you bleed red, you bleed red I guess- - - I'll always come back. :thumbsup:

• InternalCombustion

Posted September 06, 2007 - 11:03 AM

I wasn't aware of the second release on the 28th. Cool, there's hope yet.

Amen, to thinking positive.

• eastreich

Posted September 06, 2007 - 11:04 AM

I can't believe this gem got through without comment...Classic!:thumbsup:

Just goes to show how one track minded we were the other day...:bonk:

Even if there is hope, still feel like I got kicked in the nuts.:ride:

• rkwfxd1

Posted September 06, 2007 - 11:15 AM

Sept. 28th is the release date for 9 more new models from Big Red.

Please do not take this the wrong way but....How do you know this and where can I confirm it?

I'd just like to see something a little more solid than a forum post before I get my hopes up again only to be presented with another new 2005 line-up or no announcement at all.

Thanks

• eastreich

Posted September 06, 2007 - 12:33 PM

Please do not take this the wrong way but....How do you know this and where can I confirm it?

I'd just like to see something a little more solid than a forum post before I get my hopes up again only to be presented with another new 2005 line-up or no announcement at all.

Thanks

The owner of XXXX in XXXX, MT, XXXX, who is at the Honda dealer convention called my best friend, XXXX, who is the General Manager of the previously mentioned dealership, this morning to talk to him about the show. They had to discuss what they wanted to take in inventory of the new '08 models, as XXXX was having that meeting this morning. XXXX relayed this information to XXXX as XXXX knows that with the small dealership that XXXX is, inventory control is important. XXXX does not want to order a bunch of the '08 models that are released as of right now, if there is something will be that good coming down the pipe on the 28th. After XXXX got off the phone with XXXX, he called me to let me know. He is also a 650R diehard like the rest of us, and figured that I needed the moral support after seeing us get screwed last night by Honda. I used to work at this dealership as well, and still have a very, very close relationship with everyone there. I still go there and help out if I am in town and the need arises.

I do not know how you can confirm this. But this is my source.

Maybe you can find another dealer to let you know. Anyway, I do know, as does most of the rest of the world, that an all new CBR1000R is due for next year. There were photos of it up on the Honda News site last night, but there was no specification or features information posted. It is also not on the Honda.powersports website, while every thing else that was released last night is already up. Read that how you want, but there still needs to be a release date for the CBR (the 28th). And if Honda spent the bucks to get Hodgson to ride, it is obvious that they are taking the Superbike thing seriously next year. The release of the '08 CBR1000RR will be a very, very big deal for big red.

• dezracerE

Posted September 06, 2007 - 01:37 PM

CRF50L
CRF70L
CRF100L
CRF150L- (that might be cool)
500 Shadow
700 Shadow
800 Shadow
801 Shadow
802 Shadow
I think thats 9.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.