What's Going To Happen To The 650R?

131 replies to this topic
  • dezracerE

Posted August 25, 2007 - 04:57 AM

You just can't buy them here in the UK anymore. They discontinued it last year here. I have had 2 and my dad had one. I wanted to get another but after ringing Honda UK and them looking into it they came back to say no dealers had any left. On the used market there were few nice ones about when I was looking - most had been heavily modded.

I bought a KTM690 instead (I wanted another XR to supermoto it anyhow)

Honda should relaunch the XR650R but give it an electric start, upside down forks, a digital dash and re-market it again. It would sell. Here the XR's were not so popular because the lack of e-start and dealers did not seem to push them or know much about them.

Thats what I am hoping.
And add a half fairing, cushy seat and rear pegs and rack.
Make it an adventure tourer.

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted August 28, 2007 - 07:28 PM

Found this posted in the Dualsport forum. Kinda looks like what the elusive CRF600X should look like. :lol: :lol: :blah: :blah: Oh it's a sad day, Jawa even stole all of Honda's plastic and possibly the suspension. It's a dirty job, but someone had to do it.

http://motokros.nedi...ndarik_2004.jpg

Original posting by Krannie: http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=544203

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted August 29, 2007 - 09:35 PM

This from the 450R forum. Looks like it's from a French website, but why would Honda go to the trouble of making this bike electric start if they did not plan to continue to make it? The XR as we know it had basically already run it's course in virtually every country but here. I wonder.......

http://64.233.179.10...50r8&hl=en&sa=G

• uncleroby

Posted August 30, 2007 - 03:56 AM

The electric starter is not by Honda!

The italian importer (www.dallarahonda.com) produce and install an electric starter, so it does the swiss importer.

The problem is that th XR650R in Italy costs 8200 euros kick starter while electric starter costs 9000 euros (more than 10.000 dollars!).

• orsoxr

Posted August 30, 2007 - 05:13 AM

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: the price is very crazy :eek: :eek: :eek:

• philipstjohn

Posted August 30, 2007 - 11:36 AM

The electric starter is not by Honda!

The italian importer (www.dallarahonda.com) produce and install an electric starter, so it does the swiss importer.

The problem is that th XR650R in Italy costs 8200 euros kick starter while electric starter costs 9000 euros (more than 10.000 dollars!).

What someone in Italy should do is get a electric start kit available on
e-bay for the XR650R. The e-start set ups I have seen on Italian XR's are very clean compared to the "Oil Can" set up BD's or others have offered here. Just an idea...:ride:

• focallength

Posted August 30, 2007 - 01:03 PM

Many will have the pleasure of riding the 2009 KTM 690 Hard Enduro (aka Baja). A lighter weight, e-start, 6 speed, EFI, 650cc thumper with upside forks, a linkage rear suspension, and a near 4 gallon fuel tank. The bike Honda could have built, but won't.

KTM is going to enter another niche market and hit a home run, like they usually do.

And I will be able to pick up a nice used XR650R that someone will be selling to buy the KTM. I'll drain the fluids, put some Stabil in the tank, and park it in a corner for a spare so I'll have a parts source when Honda obsoletes the 650R (no more parts).

Maybe I'll find a used KLX650R to go with my XR650R. If Kawasaki had built that chassis right, Honda would have been way late to the party. I've always wanted to put that KLX motor in a KX500 chassis...

As far as the no more parts, honda continues to make parts for 10 years after the model is discontinued. So if you bought a 07 650 youll have a steady stream of parts until 2017 then you will have to dig into hondas stored parts and that could last a few more years.

• eastreich

Posted August 30, 2007 - 01:56 PM

As far as the no more parts, honda continues to make parts for 10 years after the model is discontinued. So if you bought a 07 650 youll have a steady stream of parts until 2017 then you will have to dig into hondas stored parts and that could last a few more years.

I fully plan on having a minimum one 650R in my possesion for longer than 10 years (even if the rumored 585cc CRF600X sees the light of a showroom floor by 2010). I'm sure that many here feel the same way. If Honda eventually builds the bike I really want, I'll get it, but the 650R will still stay!

• MoeSizlack

Posted September 03, 2007 - 03:42 PM

Bottom line is, Honda is not selling the 650 XRR's, I bought mine new last year and it was a 2004. My local honda dealer bought 5 unites of XRR's and took him over 3 years to sell them all.

The XR's will be stoped from being produced like the old XL's where discontinued in the 80s.

Its hard to speculate what will replace the pig, but the XRL's are still selling good.

The XRR is definately the better bike but lacks e-start and most important its not street legal.

Honda Corp.

When replacing the current XRR with a new model my wish list includes:

1.Dual sport capabilites
2.E-start
3.EFI
4.New suspension
5.Weight savings (25lbs)

Most people that I talk with are buying KTM 525's that have owned XRR's and if they bought a XRL over the R it was because they didn't want the hassle of trying to get it plated.

• JohnnyAirtime

Posted September 04, 2007 - 03:32 PM

As far as the no more parts, honda continues to make parts for 10 years after the model is discontinued.

That's OEM... how about the aftermarket supply?! Kinda sucks.

I fully plan on having a minimum one 650R in my possesion for longer than 10 years (even if the rumored 585cc CRF600X sees the light of a showroom floor by 2010). I'm sure that many here feel the same way. If Honda eventually builds the bike I really want, I'll get it, but the 650R will still stay!

Already I'm seeing many dumping their XRs due to our local SCORE races not being supported by HONDA for the XR-R. They are moving to the 450X. 2 bikes last week... full race prepped and one street legal - SOLD.

I too would keep one around for a long time... as I've already made the mistake and sold my '00 for a Husky TE510 (street legal) last year. I sold the TE 6 months after buying it and wished I had kept my XR. Now... they're being sold darn cheap for the amount of bike you get (solid bike, gobs of grunt, good suspenders...etc) even with loads of aftermarket goodies on them.

...this next couple of years they're be an abundance of them pop up for sale. I'm like an alligator in the weeds... waiting.

:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ThunderChicken

Posted September 04, 2007 - 04:05 PM

I think there's going to be a real short period here in about 4 to 5 months where you can get a sweet deal on used, legit-plated, 650Rs.

However, the window will be real short.

A lot of it depends on what is announced tomorrow at the Honda convention and what happens with the realestate market in SoCal.

Score and the new DS offerings from KTM and Husky are helping move guys off the 650R. I'm not sure what kind of impact the fact that it won't be in the 08 lineup will have on moving people off the bike. I think early on it will help move people off the bike.

But, like I said, the window will be short. It will be a perfect storm for those of us looking for a legit DSed 650R.

But then people will start to remember their 650 and tell their buddies not to sell. Then, people will start looking for them again.

I just bought another 650R over the weekend. Well, technically I did. I bought a frame, swing arm, suspension and a bottom end. Does anybody know how to pack a dirtbike in cosmaline? :thumbsup:

• InternalCombustion

Posted September 04, 2007 - 04:11 PM

Already I'm seeing many dumping their XRs due to our local SCORE races not being supported by HONDA for the XR-R. They are moving to the 450X. 2 bikes last week... full race prepped and one street legal - SOLD.

...this next couple of years they're be an abundance of them pop up for sale. I'm like an alligator in the weeds... waiting.

:eek:

Amen to THAT!! Watching and waiting... :thumbsup: :ride: :bonk:

• husky123

Posted September 04, 2007 - 04:23 PM

What's going to happen to the 650R? The same thing that happened to Elvis.

• XR4DEZ

Posted September 04, 2007 - 05:30 PM

Die taking a crap?

• InternalCombustion

Posted September 04, 2007 - 06:31 PM

Yeah:
1. Worth more after he's gone than when he was alive.

2. Still "The King" 30 years later.

• eastreich

Posted September 05, 2007 - 05:48 AM

I can see it now, guys like us are going to have multiple 650Rs stashed in garages and shops all over the country.

We are going to be hoarding 650Rs like squirrels hoard nuts before winter.

• Cobalt650

Posted September 05, 2007 - 06:42 AM

Is today, Wednesday the 5th of September, the day that Honda will show what they've got at the dealer convention?

• eastreich

Posted September 05, 2007 - 06:58 AM

Is today, Wednesday the 5th of September, the day that Honda will show what they've got at the dealer convention?

The convention started today, we don't get to know until tonight: 2:00am EST/11:00pm MST. That is when Honda is releasing the info on the WWW.

http://powersports.h...dels/index.asp#

I am getting antsy watching the countdown timer on the ads that Honda has on the web. Unless your dealer that is there really loves you, and wants to risk life, limb, and wrath of Honda by sending you some photos from their cell phone!

• husky123

Posted September 05, 2007 - 07:36 AM

Yeah:
1. Worth more after he's gone than when he was alive.

2. Still "The King" 30 years later.

You get it.:thumbsup:

• ThunderChicken

Posted September 05, 2007 - 08:58 AM

I feel like we are just lining up to watch them officially kill off the 650R and introduce OEMed steering dampers...

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.