@#$%ING RED STICKER , where to ride in so cal

8 replies to this topic
  • DANSOCAL

Posted March 01, 2002 - 08:59 AM

Now that it is spring time and perfect riding weather the powers that be are telling us to put are bikes away or take them to a closed track. I prefer to do neither. What are my options in so cal. Anyone care to tell me what they do. Besides move.

02 wr426f throttle stop cut, exhaust uncorked, air box lid gone, gray wire pulled and more just to pissed off to list because yesterday I was told was my last day to ride it a pinnacles in lake arrowhead until Nov 1 :)

• big_G

Posted March 01, 2002 - 09:34 AM

Head to the desert brutha...

15 north past Victorville, exit Dale Evans Pkwy, go right and then the first dirt left and pick somewhere out there. Please stay away from the guy with the Ostrich farm or any of the houses out there. The ostriches get scared easy and alot second amendment lovers seem to live in the sticks, so go play in the 99% of land that doesn't have someone on it. I'd follow that first road in a ways or pickup a power line trail if you're not into all the camp-clowns hanging by the off ramp.

15 north to 395 north, head out towards Red Mountain (Randsburg area). Without question, that is my favorite riding area, although I haven't been out that way in quite some time, I'm sure you could find lots of space to roam.

I'd send ya to El Mirage, but I imagine the Rangers may turn you away, if they are there.

And then there is always Big Bear, go to a Ranger station and ask for some maps. There are staging areas all over the hills and the maps are either free or a few bucks. A deal and a half either way. The trails are well marked and the area is absolutely gorgeous. It may be a bit early in the season normally, but I can't imagine there being much snow on the ground at this point. We always go in the summer, so I have no idea if they close the trails, so ask the rangers if you go.

Personally, I'd just go ride. I hate the red sticker program and think its a bullsh!t waste of legislation, propagated by the man to keep a brotha down...errr...well you know what I mean. I have no idea what the tickets would cost ya, but I remember someone on this board collecting citations (a novel idea really) in order to make it an enforcement issue. But thats up to you...

Either way, I'd run a spark arrestor though, its just the right thing to do. While I can't stand the tree hugging leftist a-hole enviro's, I don't want to give them any more ammo than they have, so don't light any forest fires.

Does that help...and yes I did take typing in high school...damn computers...

• ChopperCopper

Posted March 02, 2002 - 07:16 PM

Big G,
While we are on the subject of riding in SoCal let me ask you this....I drive through Moreno Valley and then Banning on my way to Huntington Beach to visit in-laws on a regular basis. I always see this area of rolling hills with single track trails all over them that border the road on both sides. I have seen fresh tracks on these trails but hardly ever see anyone riding these trails, especially on the weekends!! What gives? First, what is this area known as? Is this the infamous Moreno Valley riding area that I have read about? Is it closed down? I must know as I am planning on going riding there as soon as somebody tells me the scoop on these trails... Thanks. :)

• dieseld

Posted March 02, 2002 - 08:14 PM

You are seeing the hills around what used to be De Anza Cycle Park - a great place when it was open with a motocross track carved in the hills, and steep, hairy hill climbs. I've seen some trails around there on the way to Palm Springs, and some track looking trails on the East side of the pass with guys riding, but I don't know if it's legal or a bust.

As far as riding with a red sticker - that rule sucks! In fact it will justify me never selling my 98, which also has a license plate when I care to bolt up the lights.

For ideas on where to ride, I've never been approached but 2 or 3 times in Ocotillo Wells after riding there for 15 or so years, and the remote areas around El Mirage and Soggy Dry Lake beds seem to be without much enforcement. But it's not quite like 15 years ago when I rolled out of the garage and 100 yards to the end of the street and chose from the 3 tracks we had carved in the valley between the hills...our choices are being limited fast.

So for me, it's either a day at the watered and groomed track, or a 3 hour treck to the desert for the weekend, with some trips to the mountains in the summer...still not bad choices.

Damon

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • imported_Scott_H

Posted March 02, 2002 - 09:24 PM

Here is a link to the red sticker scheduled from the DMV:

http://ohv.parks.ca....p?page_id=21928

Here is another link for general info on CA riding areas:

http://www.all-offro...ding_Areas.html

Without a doubt, red stickers suck. Join the Blue Ribbon Coalition and help fight off additional infringements of our personal freedoms the eco-nazis don't think we deserve to have.

Hope this helps,

• DANSOCAL

Posted March 03, 2002 - 06:44 AM

That area you are talking about is also known as the badlands. You could ride forever out there, on both sides of the freeway, the downside is that it is illegal. The only time I have seen them make busts is on the weekends because it gets so crowded. But depending on what type of vehicle you are driving and how adventourous you are you can go in on the back side between the 10 and 60 freeways and four wheel in pretty deep and never be messed with, although colton p.d. has a couple of quads they usually only use them on the weekend.Hope this helps.

02 wr426F with "RED" sticker

• ChopperCopper

Posted March 03, 2002 - 02:46 PM

Thanks for the info on De Anza. I have heard of De Anza before and I couldnt remember the name when I asked the first question about the area. I would only be able to ride on the weekend so I guess its not possible. I also dont make a habit of riding in closed areas (My Brass Pass only works for deflecting speeding tickets anyway). Its too bad cuz that area does look killer...what the heck are they going to do with it anyway? :) I love it when they close an area for riding for enviromental concerns or saving the trees, and then blade the whole area flat six months later to build condos... :D Oh well, thanks for the info. Mike T.

• gottaplay

Posted March 03, 2002 - 07:29 PM

I bought an 02 in November. I received a green sticker for it while my buddy got a red one. I don't know how I lucked out. It doens't matter too much because I have Vermont plates for it now.

For anyone considering doing that, it was very easy and only cost $34.

• big_G

Posted March 04, 2002 - 11:05 AM

Originally posted by ChopperCopper:
Big G,
While we are on the subject of riding in SoCal let me ask you this....I drive through Moreno Valley and then Banning on my way to Huntington Beach to visit in-laws on a regular basis. I always see this area of rolling hills with single track trails all over them that border the road on both sides. I have seen fresh tracks on these trails but hardly ever see anyone riding these trails, especially on the weekends!! What gives? First, what is this area known as? Is this the infamous Moreno Valley riding area that I have read about? Is it closed down? I must know as I am planning on going riding there as soon as somebody tells me the scoop on these trails... Thanks. :)

In my book, thats basically the Badlands. Coming down the 60, you'll go right thru there. Personally, I have not explored the hills and such, but some of my friends have. There are miles of trails out there, and for the most part, you can most likely get away with whatever. But most of the land out that way is private now so the potential for getting busted is there. I have heard of some folks actually drawing helicopters (was it you???) out to bust them, but thats probably rare as I'm sure the cops have got to have something better to do. The enforcment issues seem to be creeping even to the Banning areas now, but I don't live out there so there are probably others on this board who know better than I do. I have heard of folks getting tickets near Elsinore, but mostly for those riding in the empty fields that are basically "in town".

Seems to me the guys getting in trouble are the one that are knowingly in the wrong and probably give the officer an attitude which gives even the nicest cop no choice but to pop you. Maybe you can give it a run and just play dumb. If you do get stopped, you may get off with a warning if your nice and your bike is not a hazard or otherwise illegal. Spark arrestor, registration, green stickers....and the like.

But thats why we always just pack up and go to the desert. Its only an hour away, and you can put in 100-mile loops as long as you can stand. Kinda depends on the type of riding you like, desert being my favorite, but I can agree how nice it is to just hop on and get a quick fix o'thumper without all the travel time. But thats why I got the plates...hehe.

I've got some friends in Reche Canyon (kinda east of San Bern. I guess) now and they say you can ride everyday out there, so I plan on giving that a go sometime soon. I'd be happy to report back on this when I get off my overworked, yet way too lazy ass.

Okay, the typing class is beginning to show again... let us know where you went and what you saw and if you met any enforcement on the way.

Have fun!!!!!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.