More Condensation Problems with Vapor

14 replies to this topic
  • MountainMax

Posted August 06, 2007 - 06:07 PM

I bought and installed a new Trailtech Vapor last fall and never used the bike until spring, not long after i left the bike outside overnight and it went close to freezing and my guage went full of Condensation, I was not impressed. I called up TrailTech and they sent me a new one, said it was a freak thing, they actucally submerge them to make sure they are water and air tight. They reluctantly sent me a new one and it was fine for 2 months (hot weather) but this weekend it dipped down to 6 degrees above freezing and the next day bam, my Vapor was full of condensation again, and stopped working. I called them back up and they said they won`t help me anymore. This really upsets me as Im sure there must be others with the same problem out there, what else can I do. I sold my stock unit and speedo pickup assembly. I wouldn`t mind buying another trailtech unit but if they all do this whenever it gets cold out it`s useless. They did tell me others Here in the north have had similar problems and they suggested to put a rag over the unit or remove it every night, this is a sucky fix. What can I do , besides rant here........

Posted Image

• Terrain Rider 4z

Posted August 06, 2007 - 06:26 PM

Just part of the water cycle, the opposite of vapor is condensation :) Really though, if the part was made in an area with high humidity and the air from that area is sealed tightly inside, you will experience condensation at lower temperatures as the water molecules move together. Sucks that this is happening, but your problem should go away in the warmer weather. Hard to pay $90 for a speedo you can't read.

Try the rag idea, then try the rag and take it out for a ride in cold air. If at anytime you get condensation it is indeed air sealed inside. If you do not get condensation then the lens is not air tight. My buddy had his wife make him a trick little cover out of denim and elastic that stays on his endurance during storage and transport.

• GCannon

Posted August 06, 2007 - 09:04 PM

Max are you telling me in August that the PM temps went into the low 30"s Wow! us So Cal Kooks just don't get it. You get to have all the fun. I put my Endurance in my jacket pocket one (and forgot) and ran it through the wash.:eek: It still worked great after that and to this day.

What happens if you pop it off the pearch and put it in your pocket for a half hour?:excuseme: Does it come back to life?:applause:

• MountainMax

Posted August 07, 2007 - 02:31 AM

I have mine permanantly mounted, not easy to remove, but i did yesterday and disassembled it, found the condensation went on the circuitry and put lots of green corosion on the terminals and fooked up something, even after cleaning it, it wont' work........ and yeah, it will hit 32f in the nights very soon here, im far up north, but it still can hit about 30c in the day (85 ish), we have weird weather.

• MSHAM

Posted August 07, 2007 - 08:42 AM

man dude your having it rough with some of your after market stuff. I had a cell phone go in a hot tub and it didn't work for two weeks.I tried it right before I went to get a new one and Bam! It worked. green stuff doesn't sound good! If anything write a letter with the item and send it back. I have been having better luck with paper gripes rather than phone calls or e-mails lately!

• DanyR1

Posted August 07, 2007 - 12:23 PM

I have the endurance model always pressure wash my bike and never have this probleme !!!! :(

• byggd

Posted August 07, 2007 - 12:50 PM

Wow Max, you have had more than your share of problems with that unit. Are you in contact with Trailtech again?

You do realize your bike is not a WaveRunner right? :excuseme:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 450high

Posted August 08, 2007 - 12:59 AM

Where there made must be humid or cold when they are assembled.They need to be assembled in a controlled enviroment or somewhere that's dry ,NO MOISTURE IN THE AIR.Its not rocket sience.Maybe you guys need to pull apart and sit in an ove at VERY low temperature then assemblle while still in oven ( the air has no moisture ).I believe this would solve the condensation problem. But you shouldn't be the ones that have to do this.It's a manufacturing fault.They should recall and make an effort to keep there customers.Remember more people while talk about a bad product than a good one.It's cheaper to keep customers than advertising for new ones.

• MountainMax

Posted August 08, 2007 - 02:19 AM

Yeah, I ave had my share of problems with Aftermarket parts forsure, I blame it on me being in the middle of no-where. I would assume they do build them in a dry environment but maybe mine leaked, we did have some hot humid days about a week before it did this. The green was corrosion on the circuit board, which means it had to be damp inside for a long time. I do have it all packed up and im sending it back today with a nice letter, wish me luck.

• SID013

Posted August 08, 2007 - 02:20 AM

Hi Max, As you may remember I fitted a Vapour onto a friends quad & his unit started playing up after about 3 months with the digits not being able to be read. We also noticed around the edge of the clear lens there were cracks heading out from the edge. There also appeared to be condensation inside the unit which would point to the unit not being sealed. In fairness to Trailtech they fixed it (not replaced it) but it doesn't hold its settings even though it has a new battery. Both the failure & the fact it doesn't hold settings has put a bad taste in my mouth & while I would like to put one on my WR I am very hesitant to spend the big $$ to find it isn't up to scratch also. I feel for you :( & will monitor peoples feedback before I outlay money on one.

Cheers from Oz

Peter

• MountainMax

Posted August 12, 2007 - 11:13 AM

I really like the unit but I can't have it filling full of condensation every so often and getting ruined. I don't know what to do :(

• johnnyjeep

Posted August 12, 2007 - 02:59 PM

I really like the unit but I can't have it filling full of condensation every so often and getting ruined. I don't know what to do :(

If you moved WAY south, you wouldnt have that problem, and you wouldnt have to put the bike up for the winter!
Two solutions in one answer.

Good luck with trailtech

• strandman

Posted August 12, 2007 - 03:50 PM

I wonder why trailtech doesn't dry seal their units with nitrogen, to prevent this?

• MountainMax

Posted August 12, 2007 - 05:47 PM

maybe they do, maybe they just leak and allow the moist air to enter the unit.

• Fullbore4

Posted August 12, 2007 - 06:01 PM

Where there made must be humid or cold when they are assembled.They need to be assembled in a controlled enviroment or somewhere that's dry ,NO MOISTURE IN THE AIR.Its not rocket sience.Maybe you guys need to pull apart and sit in an ove at VERY low temperature then assemblle while still in oven ( the air has no moisture ).I believe this would solve the condensation problem. But you shouldn't be the ones that have to do this.It's a manufacturing fault.They should recall and make an effort to keep there customers.Remember more people while talk about a bad product than a good one.It's cheaper to keep customers than advertising for new ones.

ummmm......the warmer the air. the more moisture there is in it.....sorry.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.