new to forum and wr

11 replies to this topic
  • mikewr450

Posted August 06, 2007 - 03:27 PM

hi i just bought an 07 wr450 and rode it for the first time on sunday. this is my first 4 stroke and what a difference as compared to a 2 stroke. i was reading some of the free mods guide but am still not sure about them. on the thumperfaq.com page it only referred to the wr250f. i am looking to gain some hp and possible some of the pop the 2 stokes have. thanks for any sugesstions.

• redswr

Posted August 06, 2007 - 04:18 PM

deffinatly do the throttle stop mod and remove the exhaust baffle the bike will be so much faster you won't believe it. the AIS and fuel screw didn't really seem to afect it from what i felt and i haven't done anything with the grey wire yet.

• ETP

Posted August 06, 2007 - 04:28 PM

Welcome to TT. Hope you enjoy your new bike. I sure like my 03 450!
Lots of good info here to get your bike uncorked and dialed in. Familiarize yourself with the search engine. Mucho good info already archived. :thumbsup:

• Gandalf_WR450

Posted August 06, 2007 - 05:15 PM

i was reading some of the free mods guide but am still not sure about them. on the thumperfaq.com page it only referred to the wr250f.

I know what your saying- It made me nervous that they were not talking about a 450 also- people get on your case they think you do not search, but sometimes for new folks, you dont know if this also applies to your model as well. Search first, but there are a ton of helpful people here who will help if they think you put forth the effort and still cant find the answer. Congratulations on your new bike and finding a great place for support (TT)!

• mikewr450

Posted August 06, 2007 - 06:14 PM

yeah thanks. i think i will relook at thumperfaq again to see. i guess that the 250 is the same as the 450, just a bigger motor.

• KennyMc

Posted August 06, 2007 - 06:34 PM

hi i just bought an 07 wr450 and rode it for the first time on sunday. this is my first 4 stroke and what a difference as compared to a 2 stroke. i was reading some of the free mods guide but am still not sure about them. on the thumperfaq.com page it only referred to the wr250f. i am looking to gain some hp and possible some of the pop the 2 stokes have. thanks for any sugesstions.

The main thing is to replace the throttle stop with the YZ450 throttle stop. You should notice that currently the throttle only opens up half way.

There are other things to do to gain performance:
- JDJetting (bike comes lean)
- Remove the pea shooter baffle
- Remove the AIS (no real performance gain but stops decel backfire when re-jetted). If you get the GYTR AIS removal kit, it comes with the new throttle stop.
- Remove grey wire (part of the 6 plug loom behind the left side plate). This mod is used in conjunction with the AIS removal kit as per the instructions. Some people do it, some don't...

:ride: :ride: :ride: :ride: :ride:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Michigan DS

Posted August 06, 2007 - 07:05 PM

Mike,
I recently bought an 07 WR450. hadn't really ridden in about 20 years and used to ride 250 2 strokes. The WR was the first 4 stroke dirt bike for me.

i am looking to gain some hp and possible some of the pop the 2 stokes have. thanks for any sugesstions.[/QUOTE]

Now, I have only had one opportunity to ride sandy trails this past weekend. we put in about 130 miles, so I do not pretend to be an expert but.......I kept down shifting in the corners like you would on a 2 stroke to gain the high rpm power coming out and found that using one gear higher on the WR actually worked better. You still have all the power, but it is contained in the great torque of the big bore. Where I might have powered out of a corner on a 2 stroke in 2nd gear, the WR really performed well in 3rd and you had a longer run before you needed to shift again. I am still getting used to it, but have a long way to come.
Kenshaw did a great job at detailing the mods you need to do. There is alot of info on this site about all of these mods.

Below are a few links to get you started. There is a ton of good info on Thumper talk. Just look and ask questions.

Good Luck,
Doug

http://www.thumperfaq.com/jetting.htm
http://www.dansmc.co...epaircourse.htm
http://www.thumperta...ht=AIS tutorial
http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=374181
http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=516501

• kevinwr450f

Posted August 06, 2007 - 07:37 PM

YZ throttle screw,snorkel removal,grey wire,pea shooter(I put on mine a FMF TI Powercore exhaust),AIS, re-jetting....... it will make your eyes bleed....lots of nice roll on power.... If your buddies have 250's they don't stand a chance from the top of 2nd on.................Enjoy!!

• mikewr450

Posted August 06, 2007 - 08:49 PM

wow great responses guys. thank you.. i just did the air box mod and exhaust baffle removal. i will be riding it this weekend so i'll see how it goes. i am definatley looking into the gytais kit. thanks kenshaw for the info on that specifically the new throttle stop.

• GCannon

Posted August 06, 2007 - 08:51 PM

Welcome! Did you read the Stickies at the top of th e forum? Clarke did a great job of condensing down all the "IMPORTANT" info you need.

• JSanfilippo

Posted August 06, 2007 - 08:52 PM

i haven't done anything with the grey wire yet.

You're missing out. Pull it out asap:thumbsup:

• mikewr450

Posted August 07, 2007 - 06:14 AM

for sure read the stickies... maybe a few times already.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.