4-speed vs 5-speed for lots of uses.

1 reply to this topic
  • sickmonkey

Posted August 06, 2007 - 02:19 PM

I am in the market for a used yz450f and was wondering if people had any issues with the 4 speed tranny gear spacing.

I plan on doing a little MX track use but more riding in the woods (mixture of tight and fast trails) and some dune riding with a paddle tire.

Would the 4 speed tranny have to large of gear spacing for tight woods use or run out of steam on the top end?

Would I need to have a bunch of sprokets depending on what i wanted to use it for? (wide open on dunes and some dune hill climbs)

I would be looking at 450's btw, not 426's.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted August 06, 2007 - 02:44 PM

I like my 4 speed, but I don't really ride truly tight woods areas, and the tighter trails that I ride don't require a lot of top speed. If geared to do one thing, it would suffer some at the other extreme. To an extent, though, all MX bikes regardless of whether a 4 or 5 speed are the same way.

Still, the 5 speed is that much more versatile. A 4-speed 450 can be fitted with the complete trans from a '03-'06 WR450 for about $700, which would give you a true enduro gearset:

Related Content

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.