Corbin gap/mount issues

16 replies to this topic
  • Wybs

Posted August 06, 2007 - 11:19 AM

Hey all-
I know the lower corbin thread was addressing this but it was getting old and I need some new answers to the stock tank, top mounting clip problems. My saddle started out pretty tight, but the gap has been opening up (almost a finger wide now). I had it apart last night and noticed the top bracket on the tank is bending due to the crappy design of corbin's top tongue. If left unchecked I think the bracket will break off, as the little tack welds seem to be yielding. I called corbin and the guy was pretty knowledgeable on the DR's mounting, but he still would not admit there is a problem. He said there are 2 possibilities:
1) the seat needs to be farther forward (good concept but the rear bolt holes have very little slop)
2) the lower tongue is wrapped in leather and when installing that can bunch up and prevent the saddle from sliding as far forward as it should be. The fix is to put a peice of trim on the lead edge of the tongue to keep the leather from bunching(I believe mine just has leather on the top of the tongue, I haven't checked it yet, but the bunching sounds plausible))
Please reply if you have a gap, vibration (rattle) or other fitment issues. I would like a little data for the next call
Thanks

• buggs

Posted August 06, 2007 - 02:05 PM

You know the other day I also noticed a gap on the Corbin seat and IMS tank hat have not been there before. I been meaning to check the seat, I thought perhaps I did not sit it well, but noe I am begining to wonder. I will check t when I get a chance.

Hey all-
I know the lower corbin thread was addressing this but it was getting old and I need some new answers to the stock tank, top mounting clip problems. My saddle started out pretty tight, but the gap has been opening up (almost a finger wide now). I had it apart last night and noticed the top bracket on the tank is bending due to the crappy design of corbin's top tongue. If left unchecked I think the bracket will break off, as the little tack welds seem to be yielding. I called corbin and the guy was pretty knowledgeable on the DR's mounting, but he still would not admit there is a problem. He said there are 2 possibilities:
1) the seat needs to be farther forward (good concept but the rear bolt holes have very little slop)
2) the lower tongue is wrapped in leather and when installing that can bunch up and prevent the saddle from sliding as far forward as it should be. The fix is to put a peice of trim on the lead edge of the tongue to keep the leather from bunching(I believe mine just has leather on the top of the tongue, I haven't checked it yet, but the bunching sounds plausible))
Please reply if you have a gap, vibration (rattle) or other fitment issues. I would like a little data for the next call
Thanks

• Wybs

Posted August 07, 2007 - 03:37 AM

Yesterday I had a chance to look at it in the daylight and found part of the upper bracket on the tank is cracked and that is why the seat can pull back. The upper bracket is welded to a small plate that is welded to the tank. The small plate is broke right between it's tack welds next to where the bracket is welded on.
I did check the lower tongue and the leather is good and tight and it slips under the receiving tab nicely (no bunching). As I suspected the rear bolt holes only allowed the seat to move forward 1 mm, and that did nothing.
I also dug out my stock seat and saw what the upper tab should look like. What a surprise! It's mounted at an angle so it pulls on the upper bracket in the middle instead of trying to pry it off the tank. The upper bracket also has a little tab on the bottom side that helps guide the tab on the seat into place. Corbin is putting all the load on the little tab so in effect they are using a lever to break it off. Hello Corbin we have an issue???

• adams

Posted August 07, 2007 - 06:06 AM

for the money i'd expect a better design. I will be watching to see how they respond.

• Wybs

Posted August 07, 2007 - 08:38 AM

Just got off the phone with Corbin and basically I am screwed, There is no redesign so there really is nothing they can do. I said I am OK with it, but they should really look at redesigning the upper tongue. He said he would call R&D and let them know. Looking this whole thing over I can't imagine this setup working for very long. There is way too much stress on the wrong part of the bracket
So it's off to Farkle my $350 seat. I plan on making a new upper tongue so it connects right and probably use good old JB weld will work to reinforce the stock tanks upper bracket. In the mean time it's back to the stock 2X4
I would love to talk to the jackass that put his john hancock on this design

• Denbar

Posted August 07, 2007 - 08:59 AM

Just got off the phone with Corbin and basically I am screwed, There is no redesign so there really is nothing they can do. I said I am OK with it, but they should really look at redesigning the upper tongue. He said he would call R&D and let them know. Looking this whole thing over I can't imagine this setup working for very long. There is way too much stress on the wrong part of the bracket
So it's off to Farkle my $350 seat. I plan on making a new upper tongue so it connects right and probably use good old JB weld will work to reinforce the stock tanks upper bracket. In the mean time it's back to the stock 2X4
I would love to talk to the jackass that put his john hancock on this design

I had issues with my seat as well, except for it’s still pretty new. I finally took the top mount off and the seat fits better. However in the back of my mind I have been thinking about making a true mount for the top of the tank.

If your seat is older, and the gap is getting bigger, is it possible some support under the middle of the seat could close the gap and prevent it from getting larger?

Anyhoo… for $ 350.00 I’m really disappointed with the Corbin seat. It is more comfortable than the stock one, but I can still only take about an hour in the saddle at the time. I just don’t think that considering this is one of the most expensive single mods that you can do to the Dr, that the seat should have fit issues, not to mention fit issues that can potentially harm the tank.

I called Corbin about mine as well and was quickly told there was no top mount and that I needed to bend the bottom tab to correct the problem.

So to be honest, while it is more comfortable than the stock one, I’m just not real happy with the seat overall. I have also been thinking of modifying the stock one and selling the Corbin.

• buggs

Posted August 07, 2007 - 09:24 AM

If I had known this, it would have save me an expense in money and potential damage to the tank. I also called them as my seat is only 3 months old, but even though they admit it might be a problem, they had no solution for me. :naughty:

• Wybs

Posted August 08, 2007 - 04:08 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image

The top picture shows the crack in the plate on the tank. The lower pic shows the difference between the corbin and the stock seat in the area of the top tongue. Note the rust on the black corbin base, that's all from metal on metal rubbing on the tank bracket. Last night I straightened the bracket out and installed the stock seat, I think the bracket will hold up using the stocker. One install of the corbin bends the tab right back. I think I have a fairly simple fix for the corbin. I am going to dremel away the part of the top tongue that contacts the tank bracket, then make an angled tongue that will screw to the remaining part of the corbin tongue and hopefully end up working like stock. I am going to try it out of aluminum with slots for the mounting screws to allow me to adjust the gap (and the stress on my weakened bracket). If it works out I will try one out of delrin or something to address the rubbing issue.
Working last night on this I was really having a hard time getting into a good farkling mode, the:mad: was getting in the way. I think I am over it now but if the bracket breaks off it will be back

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • spochynok

Posted August 08, 2007 - 04:57 AM

sorry to hear about all the corbin problems. i have flet your pain to the tune of 5 tries by corbin to get it right. i documented the fit of every seat with photos and finally got a refund less s&h of course. i saw no way to reduce the gap between the seat and stock tank without changing the angle of the seat base.

i've heard numerous corbin success stories but mine was a hugh failure. if i ever do try a corbin again i'll go through the pre-fit service offered by a few internet dealers. i was lucky to get a nearly new '07 stock seat here on TT to replace my torn '00 and i just stand up more often. :-)

i think it stinks that corbin isn't standing behind their seat quality. i got lucky and had a great customer service person named angela. she really tried hard to get it right but in the end it was not to be.

bol,

steve

• OUTTATHERE

Posted October 20, 2007 - 11:43 PM

Hey all-
Thanks

Man, I just read your thread about the corbin seat issue with the stock tank.
I thought it was just me - but I noticed that it looked like there was a gap between my seat and gas tank that wasnt there before.
My bracket didnt break off, but it is definetely begining to bend outward.
I am so bummed becuase I sold my Gel seat on E-bay, it wasnt much better than the stock - but it was an improvement.
I cant believe Corbin didnt catch this. Thanks for starting the thread - I definitely would have chalked it up to my imagination right up until the bracket snapped.

• NVDESERTKID

Posted October 21, 2007 - 01:29 AM

I haven't tried the Corbin but I'm having similar issues with a Gel seat. The back of the seat creates a 1.5'' gap from the fender, and the front seat clip is barely making it to the tank clip. The Seat is only about 300 miles old, and I've only sat on it for about 100 of those miles. On my last ride, I noticed that the tounge had completely come out of the tank clip! Horrible fit. It's like the seat is too short no matter which way I adjust it ( with only .25" either way). The one advanage is that it allows tons of dust direct access to my air filters. Back to the stock saddle I guess...

• OUTTATHERE

Posted October 22, 2007 - 10:37 AM

I haven't tried the Corbin but I'm having similar issues with a Gel seat. The back of the seat creates a 1.5'' gap from the fender, and the front seat clip is barely making it to the tank clip. The Seat is only about 300 miles old, and I've only sat on it for about 100 of those miles. On my last ride, I noticed that the tounge had completely come out of the tank clip! Horrible fit. It's like the seat is too short no matter which way I adjust it ( with only .25" either way). The one advanage is that it allows tons of dust direct access to my air filters. Back to the stock saddle I guess...

I had the same issue with my Gel seat - after a short trail ride my air filter was COVERED with dirt !!! I went back to the stock seat for a while and then I bought the Corbin , wich is now breaking the mounting bracket on the tank. Now I'm gonna try a Renazco seat. I keep hoping if I throw enough money at it, the problems will magically dissapear.
I think the Renazco seat is the ticket though, they sounded really knowlegable when I spoke with them.

• bigboy292000

Posted October 22, 2007 - 11:59 AM

Hmmm interesting thread indeed...

I have not noticed the gap getting wider, in fact I have no gap that I can tell. I had however issues when installing the seat. The back mounting brackets would not line up with holes no matter how many times I tried. I forced it into place a bit and am wondering what it is going to do over time... I'll be doing some work on my bike this coming weekend, might take it off then and have a look...

Generally I love my Corbin but I agree that for the price - we should not have to deal with this and damage our bikes in the process!!

• ttsquirrel

Posted October 23, 2007 - 01:26 PM

surprised fellow corbin seat riders haven't blitzed corbin about the issue.glad I didn't waste my money on a corbin. 350 is way to much for a bad design to make my ash feel better

• clodeb

Posted October 23, 2007 - 05:39 PM

Thanks guy,i was plannig on buying a Corbin so i will find something else. In Canada it is worth at least $500 or more so...

• thejosh

Posted October 24, 2007 - 02:37 PM

Go Renazco. it might take a little longer but you will be much happier in the long run.

• bigboy292000

Posted October 24, 2007 - 03:52 PM

surprised fellow corbin seat riders haven't blitzed corbin about the issue.glad I didn't waste my money on a corbin. 350 is way to much for a bad design to make my ash feel better

I will say that with a Corbin, this feels like a different bike IMO. I can finally ride full tank and not think about my behind 80% of the time. It is amazing how much attention I actually had on shifting, trying to be comfortable, with the stock plank...

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.