YZ426F or YZ450F

24 replies to this topic
  • mickeyd

Posted August 06, 2007 - 11:01 AM

i am a new rider looking to get into riding dirt have been riding on the streets for years so here it is i am 6'3 and about 245 lbs i am looking at a 02 YZ426F and the 03 YZ450F looking for some insite from the member on the pros and cons of both bike and what would be the best fit the price is $3400.00 for the 2003 and $3200.00 canadian thanks

• Numba68

Posted August 06, 2007 - 12:21 PM

go for the 450. I'm not shure but i believe the 03 would have auto decompretion with will make starting 3X easyer to start. Also I'd imagine the 03 would be way better in the handeling department.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted August 06, 2007 - 04:08 PM

426:
- no auto decompression (harder to start)
- top heavy
- non-cartridge forks
- Clutch issues
- wierd powerband
Go 450

• rmzRacer293

Posted August 06, 2007 - 04:45 PM

def 450. always go newer, if u can.

• srv543

Posted August 06, 2007 - 04:51 PM

definelty 450

• m2r06

Posted August 06, 2007 - 05:14 PM

There's no reason to go 426, it's older, and more expensive, go 450! :thumbsup:

• Chris_Snow

Posted November 05, 2007 - 08:39 PM

Now I'd hate to pull up an old thread, but I searched this asking myself the same question...

I am also deciding between the 426 and 450. If I bought a 426 it would be 2001+ because I'd want the Ti valves, without the clutch issues of the 2000, with the carb changes to make starting a little less frustrating and for the smoother power delivery.
The 450 would be an awesome choice in my opinion, and was winning me over until I read that they switched to a 4-speed gearbox instead of a 5-speed like the 426... How does that compare? It almost seems slightly unreasonable... or is there a specific year of the 450 that still has the 5-speed that I should be looking for?
MickeyD, what bike did you end up buying? I am in the EXACT same position as you, except I only weigh about 150-160 at the moment...

• Slinkyman16

Posted November 05, 2007 - 09:24 PM

Now I'd hate to pull up an old thread, but I searched this asking myself the same question...

I am also deciding between the 426 and 450. If I bought a 426 it would be 2001+ because I'd want the Ti valves, without the clutch issues of the 2000, with the carb changes to make starting a little less frustrating and for the smoother power delivery.
The 450 would be an awesome choice in my opinion, and was winning me over until I read that they switched to a 4-speed gearbox instead of a 5-speed like the 426... How does that compare? It almost seems slightly unreasonable... or is there a specific year of the 450 that still has the 5-speed that I should be looking for?
MickeyD, what bike did you end up buying? I am in the EXACT same position as you, except I only weigh about 150-160 at the moment...

you cant go wrong with either.. i love my 02 426..

for the gearing.. the 4sp gearbox on the 03 is a perfect match for the 450.. yamaha did their research.. and i believe the 5sp was used again in 06.

acording to yamaha in 03.. the 4 spd gear box was pretty much the same ratios as the 02 with a 50t rear.

• mudhog426

Posted November 05, 2007 - 10:48 PM

Gotta agree with slinky, either choice rocks. The 426 isn't harder to start, it just takes a little more time and thought due to not having the auto-decomp. I'd probably base my decision on which bike was in better condition overall.

• shawnspawn

Posted November 06, 2007 - 12:26 AM

wow, easy now, don't go dissin the 426....

I have an 02 426 and for a cold start I almost always start my bike before my bro-in-laws 450. Clutch issuse??? what clutch issues? I believe we are talking 2002 right? As for the power and transmission, I have no problem getting my bike to 90+mph before the 3 other bikes (all stock 450s) that I raced on sunday. I also do not like the 03 450's 1st gear (too fast for trail). So in my opinion get the best bike for the price, either one will kick ass. But I don't think you can seriously say definately get the 03 just cause it's one year newer....

btw mickeyD I am 260lbs 6'0" and I payed $3100 cnd in Vancouver....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Chris_Snow

Posted November 06, 2007 - 01:08 AM

Well then otherwise, are there any particular years/models that I should avoid other than the 2000 and prior 426...? Just because there was a multitude of upgrades done for the 2001. I rode a 2000 YZ426F the other day, it hauled ass pretty good but I've read some pretty shitty stuff about their clutches, their low end studder (which I was quite noticeable when I test drove it) and starting. I know starting can be fixed up pretty good with some Hotcams (?) or something, and you can switch out the clutch to matching counterparts from 01+ 426's and with a couple other mods (blue wire mod and some carb tuning) you can end the low end studder but I'd rather have something perfect out of the box. I'm from Vancouver going down to the states to look at some bikes this weekend... a couple 426's and 450's. They're on Seattle's craiglist if you search YZ426F or YZ450F... anything within the $3300 price range, hoping to spend slightly less however.

• Slowmotion426

Posted November 06, 2007 - 01:25 AM

I've owned both of the above mentioned bikes. The '01 426 was bulletproof reliable. Never let me down once. Owned it for six years and only did one valve adjustment. Started on the first or 2nd kick every time. I'm 6'3 260lbs so I put the heaviest springs I could find on the forks and shock. The suspension was perfect for me then.
The biggest difference between the bikes was that the '03 felt lighter, although less stable at high speeds, but the 450 turned so much better.
Tough choice, but you can't lose either way.
But me? I'd get the 450.

• shawnspawn

Posted November 06, 2007 - 10:00 AM

although less stable at high speeds, but the 450 turned so much better.
Tough choice, but you can't lose either way.
But me? I'd get the 450.

Hmm perhaps thats why I was able to out run the 450 the other day, He was complaining about the control at high speeds.

The bikes are so similar, what makes this so?

• grayracer513

Posted November 06, 2007 - 11:01 AM

what makes this so?

Little changes in steering geometry. That which makes a bike steer more quickly often makes it a little less stable at speed.

However, a YZ450 is not a particularly "nervous" handling bike when going fast in stock form.

• getpower

Posted November 06, 2007 - 10:46 PM

Starting the 426 shouldnt be that hard. First, make sure the valves are adjusted correctly and keep checking them.

Next, heres how you use a mechanical decompression lever:

Bring the piston to TDC (a hard spot), then bring the starter back up, pull the lever in, bring the starter past TDC (just a little bit-you should feel the lever pull in a bit) then let the lever go, bring the starter back to the top and give it a kick.

It should start pretty easy with that. Just remember, with a four stoke you dont give it a full-on "I hate this thing" kick. You give it a relaxed, but stern one.

• Chris_Snow

Posted November 07, 2007 - 12:38 AM

Here's a list of bikes that I am going to look at this weekend. I will post them in order of what I would imagine be my pecking order... starting with my favorite on the top. Each one has it's own bonuses which you can see. The 426 is on the bottom because it's more so set up for trail riding.
http://seattle.craig.../469547943.html
http://seattle.craig.../469192837.html
http://seattle.craig.../469118622.html
http://seattle.craig.../468963588.html

I wont be suprised if one of these bikes belongs to a member. I think the first one is the cleanest, the second runner up with some tasteful mods. The third has no pictures, but I had some emailed to me. Looks like the plastics have some wear marks here and there but there's no decal kit on the thing. With the third however, it's a fraction of the price of the other ones, while still being 2004 like the rest. I could take the savings of $700 and get a decal kit and a nice exhaust and some other mods and new gear which would be nice; so really the top three (all 450's) are tied... What would each of you guys do in this case? It'll probably take me a week to get the money together and get my ass down there so it'll probably be whichever one is left when I finally get my ass in gear.

• shawnspawn

Posted November 07, 2007 - 08:55 AM

Wow tough choices...
I was only able to find one decent bike up here in Vancouver and it was $3699 for a stock 04 450. Now I know why you are going to Seattle. What's the deal at the border? taxes? duties? paperwork?

• Slowmotion426

Posted November 08, 2007 - 12:37 AM

Bike #3 seems to be the best bang for the money. Check 'em out good.

• Chris_Snow

Posted November 08, 2007 - 01:16 PM

Bike #3 seems to be the best bang for the money. Check 'em out good.

I have pictures of this bike on my email, it has no decal kit which is nice because I can choose which one to get. Also the guy is planning a trip to Bellingham within the next couple weeks so he can save me a 3hr drive. I think it's between bikes 3 and 4 right now because of the prices... The 426 is VERY nice, in good shape, has reduced gearing which should be nice (the other 426 I rode seemed a little fast for my liking in first and I do a bit of trail riding) and has exhaust and some bonuses here and there. The 450 is an 04 though so it's a toss up. Whichever one's left when I have all the cash in hand I guess.

EDIT:
Shawn the deal at the border is you pay one of the taxes (can't remember which one) and you shouldn't have to pay duties if you declare it a competition use only bike. It does have to sit at the border for three days while they remove it from the system (you must hold the title and have to ride it in the States, so when it's exported they have to remove it from the system) but you can call and inform them of the date you are brining the bike over, tell them all the numbers and then they can complete the process in the mean time so that you don't have to leave it there.

• brandonizr

Posted November 08, 2007 - 01:39 PM

both are great bikes, i love my 01 426 coming from a 97CR250(too stiff frame), the 426 was a dream, smooth consistant power and great ride, don't stress about starting one, it is just a technique like any other bike, mine starts up 1st kick cold w/tennis shoes(now that i fixed that float needle :worthy:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.