2007 XR650R - CA Hwy. emission sticker

7 replies to this topic
  • scottro79

Posted August 06, 2007 - 10:13 AM

I'm interested in buying a new XR650R to convert to DS but I live in California and there's a number of problems associated with this.

What Ive learned is in order to get an XR650R street legal in CA. I need two things. First of which is a VIN# that does NOT have a '3' or 'C' in its 8th position.

Can anyone tell me if their 05 or newer (ideally 07') has a '3' or 'C' in the 8th position on their vin?

Second requirement is a "on-highway emissions sticker". These are appearantly only applied by the manufacturer. I was about to go to the dealership and start scouring 650R's to see if they have this sticker, but I'm hoping to have this question answered here

anyways hope you can help-
TY

• hill5150

Posted August 06, 2007 - 10:49 AM

Cali is a hit and miss state, I have spoken to guys that have had success D/S ing their 450X and R's. It's a matter of finding an un-informed DMV rep and use your best social skills and hope it's a hot female (yeah right, at the DMV...) I do know the number and letter placement in the VIN has been a factor.The Baja Designs website had a whole section on the Ca vehicle code regarding this........

• cleonard

Posted August 06, 2007 - 11:07 AM

A XR650R is a green sticker bike. As such it does not have the the "C" or the "3" in the eighth position of the VIN. So you are OK here.

It does not have a sticker that says "meets on road emissions." The sticker says that it meets standards for off road emissions. As such it is not eligible for street registration.

Since the DMV can't find it's rear with both hands, several have managed to plate green sticker bikes. It is the luck of the draw at the DMV.

Some have gone the special construction route, but this too relies on the cluelessness of the DMV. This is because since the bike has a VIN it is not a special construction.

If you don't want to rely on luck, get a Husky or KTM that already has the correct on road sticker.

• XR Bill

Posted August 06, 2007 - 11:34 AM

Hi Scott,

I plated (NOT the same as DS conversion) my '98 xr400 last year. The 3 or C in the 8th digit designates a red sticker bike ala any CRF-R bikes. That WILL kill you from getting a plate in Cali. Period. Green sticker bikes are what is still getting plated.

The lack of an emissions sticker is less clear as to its detrimental impact, but is whats required for street plating a bike. You can't buy one so don't bother looking. Folks do get snagged on this one & this is where it gets dicey for many like hill5150 sez. When I did mine I went to a reportedly friendly DMV for VIN verification & this is when the emissions label is checked for. When it was not located (no green sticker or red sticker has one) I explained that it was on the old rear fender that had been replaced due to damage. Notation was made on the paperwork that 'emission label was not evident' & that was that. Thinking I was sunk, she handed me the filled out inspection form & I went in to wait for next available clerk. 15 minutes later a clerk shuffles the paperwork around & hands me my plate:banana: :banana: . Again, DO NOT try for dual sport!

Check the sticky for conversion, but remember its all about having the all forms ready & completed, a good attitude, & a DMV that isnt shooting everyone down. Having CHP do the VIN check may also lessen the risk of getting fouled up. In hind sight I should have made 3 appointments with 3 different CHP locations in hopes one would have filled out the VIN verification portion only, but I survived even though I went straight into the lions den. Can of corn & even if one attempt fails try another DMV, etc. & you'll "get 'er done".

Good luck..

I'm interested in buying a new XR650R to convert to DS but I live in California and there's a number of problems associated with this.

What Ive learned is in order to get an XR650R street legal in CA. I need two things. First of which is a VIN# that does NOT have a '3' or 'C' in its 8th position.

Can anyone tell me if their 05 or newer (ideally 07') has a '3' or 'C' in the 8th position on their vin?

Second requirement is a "on-highway emissions sticker". These are appearantly only applied by the manufacturer. I was about to go to the dealership and start scouring 650R's to see if they have this sticker, but I'm hoping to have this question answered here

anyways hope you can help-
TY

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JohnnyAirtime

Posted August 06, 2007 - 11:42 AM

Great report by Bill... indeed a hit and miss.

And yes, sometimes CHP can help and at other times be a burden. Not all DMVs will take a CHP Vin Verification form, or if they do, an eyebrow is raised and they'll do it themselves none-the-less.

There is one other route that's being used. And it's a bit more costly, but a lot more reliable (in my findings). Use a DMV service. The one I used, met me in person, filled out the necessary paperwork (I already had the brake and light inspection paperwork completed), and did all my leg work for me. A plate arrived 2 weeks later for my '05 450X. I've been plated since 07/2006.

As mentioned... don't do a 'dual-purpose' registration. It's a bright red flag.

• rdjohnson55

Posted August 06, 2007 - 12:11 PM

It all changed in 03 in California, I was able and had no problems Dual sporting my 98 XR400R (back in 98) All I had to do was get the forms from the DMV and have my Dealer sign off that my bike met all the proper specs. Ex. Headlight, Taillight, blinkers, Horn, Mirror and DOT Tires. It did take 2 trips to the DMV because you have to have insurance to be able to get a plate in CA.

You were able to Dual Sport until Jan of 03 and then the CA DMV is requiring the Federal emissions sticker:banghead: In which the bikes in CA already meet and beat the Federal standard. I think it's more to do with the manufactures and the hassles to get the sticker on the bikes? I do not know what the procedure is to get a Federal emissions sticker are and if the Big 4 really do care.

I do see that KTM does care and they cannot keep the new 525 and 450 EXC on the showroom floor!!!!

With the special build bike option you have to grind off you VIN to get it done right. I've seen a couple of these in Southern Cal.

I have an 04 XR 650R and I just put my XR400 plate on it and removed the XR650 sticks and I'm good to go for awhile...

• Denn10

Posted August 06, 2007 - 12:26 PM

check this out its on the dual sport forum and has ton of info on that GL
http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=281966

• cleonard

Posted August 06, 2007 - 12:48 PM

I have an 04 XR 650R and I just put my XR400 plate on it and removed the XR650 sticks and I'm good to go for awhile...

I just don't understand why people make posts like this. You just admitted to what can be charged as a felony. If you are going to break the law, don't advertise it.:bonk:

The old plate swap works just fine until some law enforcement looks at it a little too closely. Then you are in a world of hurt. Is there a chance that it would never happen, sure there is. I would expect to never have an issue. However, all it takes is one close check.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.