Strongest 650R pipe?

8 replies to this topic
  • Suikerland

Posted August 06, 2007 - 08:29 AM

What's the toughest 650R exhaust out there, headers or muffler or both?

I'm not talking about performance, just the ability to take a lot of hard knocks, and take a hit and not break. Long life.

Staintune? Stock? Pro Circuit? Others?

• Agent2

Posted August 06, 2007 - 09:06 AM

I would say XR's Only, solid construction, good welds, thick mounting tabs.

• RdrMtn

Posted August 06, 2007 - 09:28 AM

I think the general consensus among XR owners is that the stock system is hard to beat for pure durability. Steel construction with no fiberglass packing makes the stock system unbeatable in longevity. With an HRC tip, the stock system is hard to beat performance-wise also.

• martinfan30

Posted August 06, 2007 - 10:15 AM

i have an L but, i use e2 slip on, the hanger cracked. im going with xr's full system next.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • eastreich

Posted August 06, 2007 - 03:44 PM

The XR's Only Stainless Steel Oval exhaust is the strongest hands down. Here's why:

• One piece stainless steel construction from head to tail with a removable end to repack it. This design is just like the stocker (other than the internal packing).
  • The pipe tucks up tight against the bike. And I mean tight. I have the full race system, my riding partner has the regular system, and it is difficult to get a hand under the fender on that side of the bike. The tighter the pipe is to the bike, the less it hangs out to get mangled in a crash.
  • It is shorter in overall length than almost any other pipe out there. This is because the XR's Only pipe for the 650 was designed from the ground up for the 650R, and only the 650R. Unlike almost every other pipe made that has a universal can with a midpipe and bracket to make it fit on the bike.

I have been around 650Rs with T-4s, Q's, Q-2's, and Big Guns. I personally had a WB R-4 in the past. I also had a highly modified stock can (shortened with internal baffling mods) that I rode with when I needed to be sneaky. The XR's only system is hands down better than all the rest.

Now, it is a little loud, but you can get a quiet core that shuts it up. It is more quiet in stock form than the WB R-4, PC T-4, or FMF Ti-4. I think this is more due to the robust construction reducing resonance in the exhaust system. It still performs well with the optional quiet core in it. At least as good as the 496 and Q-2. With the regular system, you can use any headpipe as well.

I have the Race Team Edition full megaphone XR's system, and I would not recommend that pipe unless you really need it. It is very, very loud. It makes a sick amount of power if your bike is set up for it: i.e. if you do not have a fully built race motor (high comp. HRC motor or similar running on race fuel) and tall gearing, you are wasting money with this pipe.

My riding partner has the regular oval XR's system, and he loves it.

You will see lots of complaints about XR's only on this website. And I am sure that they have merit. It took me a little while to get my pipe (I went through my dealer to get it), but I think that there are a few outstanding reasons for this. First, is that my pipe was probably made after I ordered it. Two, most of the employees there race. In fact, I think they ride more than they work. This must be a priority of the guys that work there. Wish I had a work environment like that! But that is one reason their stuff works so good. They perfect it. Three, XR's only is like Scotts (they are a pain to deal with also): when you are the best, you can change your priorities around, because people that know will still buy your stuff. I'm not saying that is right, but that is the way of the world. After my pipe showed up, my dealer called XR's back right away, as he was so impressed with the build quality of the pipe. He had a SS Oval system by the end of the week.

• Dezrider

Posted August 06, 2007 - 05:38 PM

I've had this W/B R-4 on my bike for five years. Still good as new. Gave the bike more mid and top range. I only paid $150 for it. Can't get them anymore. (loud:eek: )

[IMG]http://[IMG]http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/8908/im002439pw0.jpg[/IMG][/IMG]

• Suikerland

Posted August 06, 2007 - 11:26 PM

has anybody tried the Australian Staintune system, long term?
Fully stainless, apparently never needs repacking.
Posted Image

• KAS

Posted August 09, 2007 - 10:52 AM

I've had this W/B R-4 on my bike for five years. Still good as new. Gave the bike more mid and top range. I only paid $150 for it. Can't get them anymore. (loud:eek: )

[IMG]http://[IMG]http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/8908/im002439pw0.jpg[/IMG][/IMG]

Interesting. The R4 I put on my BRP made it lose a considerable amount of power, most notably off the bottom.

• Dezrider

Posted August 09, 2007 - 12:06 PM

You're right, but for desert riding it made 1st and 2nd gear much more usable for me. The hit at mid-range was an improvement too.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.