Headers and Silencers

2 replies to this topic
  • Gary_Kessler

Posted August 07, 2000 - 06:19 AM

Pursing the endless search for more torque and knobby ripping power, I'm considering a new exhaust system for my '00 WR. I'm currently running stock w/o baffle and it's a bit loud for my ears.

I've been considering the Big Gun SDS system, but have heard it's REALLY loud, but has great power returns. I'm also interested in the FMF PB/Stroker SX-1 setup too. I'd like to get good torque and power w/o a lot more noise. . .I really like sneaking up on RoadRunners here in NM.

B4 I spend my cash, I'd welcome any comments and considerations!

Thanks - gary

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted August 07, 2000 - 06:28 AM

I too have been chewing at the bit trying to come to this "Exhausting" issue. You must compromise between power and noise. I do not have the endless acres here on the east coast to ride. I must share my riding areas with homeowners, mountain bikers, hikers, etc. After waiting impatiently for FMF's "super quiet" PC-IV/2, I was extremely disappointed to find their system is quite loud. Through the help of Clark, I too am opting for the Power Bomb header with Strokers SX-1 spark arrestor. I think you will find improvements in your bikes performance no matter what system you install. If you are referencing Dirt Riders/Dirt Bikes YZ426F exhaust comparison, please remember the baseline is the OEM YZF system, NOT the WR system. The WR is so restrictive ANYTHING HAS TO BE BETTER!

99 WR, all YZ mods, de-octopused, OEM YZ tank and IMS seat, jetting by Clark/James, got forked by Pro Action, DSP airbox, PB Header, Stroker SX-1 SA, Thumper Rad Guards, Acerbis Hand Guards, WAITING IMPATIENTLY FOR MOAB, boning up on my sheep shearing skills AND knowing Mitch will help me out IN ANY WAY I NEED IT!!

• Gary_Kessler

Posted August 07, 2000 - 08:23 AM

Kevin -
Thanks for the "exhausting" observation - I do 50%MX and 50% Trails. Most of the riding here is in open space, but the noise is just offensive.

I figure any new exhaust system is a VAST improvement over the WR stock system. I'm leaning toward the FMF PB/Stroker system since most of the forum members seem to like it. And it appeals to my eardrums! I'll see what other opinions I get over the next couple of days.

Gary in NM (where the RoadRunners where Kevlar vests)

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.