Modifications to WR400F

6 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted August 06, 2000 - 05:29 PM

I recently purchased a WR400F and have been doing some reading about some of the basic modifications that most owners do to their bikes. Unfortunately, the dealer I purchased my bike from hasn't been much help with my questions, which are 1) what exactly is involved in shortening the throttle stop? 2) Which after-market pipe works best, assuming one rides both off-road and MX? and 3) Does the OEM YZ426 tank, seat and rear fender work on the WR400F? Any other thoughts on modifications would appreciated as well. Thanks.

• Bill

Posted August 07, 2000 - 02:23 AM

Charlie,

Welcome to ThumperTalk. Let me try to answer your questions:

1- There is tons of info on shortening your throttle stop. Do a search of the archives using "throttle stop".

2- Aftermarket pipes, you've opened a whole can of worms here. I have a White Bros E-Series. But now after reading all of the posts about exhaust. I wonder if stock with baffle removed or a YZ pipe might have been ok. The E-Series is very loud, but can be toned down and is very tunable. You may also want to search on this one. Just having the header that allows me to remove the oil filter without removing the header is worth the cost.

3- The stock tank and seat from a 98-99 yz fits the 98-99 WR's. Not sure about 2000 426's. Moight ask the guys from Two-Dads?

Bill

------------------
86TT225, 98CR80, 99WR, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. Odometer and headlight removed. Moose hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank and IMS seat. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA.

• Harold_in_So_Cal

Posted August 07, 2000 - 11:42 AM

Welcome Charlie:

Throttle stop - you can cut or change to the YZ throttle stop. There are lots of past posts plus the technical section has a great write up. I printed that off, took it to my mechanic and let him do the work. Due to some people having problems, I thought it was better to shave it down or replace rather than just removing it.

As far as the exhaust goes, I have the e-series. It helped but its loud. The recent posts regarding the powerbomb and the stroker seem to be the way to go, especially if you haven't made any purchases yet.

Tank and seat- huge difference. I read the posts and had a hard time believing that a tank and seat change would make that big of a difference but it did. I have a 2000 and bought a stock YZ 2000 tank. By the time you get the tank, hardware, graphics, etc. it gets expensive but its worth it. I am going to buy the Clarke tank for longer rides. I have the IMS seat. I like it but it could be a little softer. Look through past posts. There are all kinds of combinations like a seat base, with softer foam, and various seat covers.

Hope this helps.

Harold

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted August 07, 2000 - 12:24 PM

Harold,
One thing I found out on throttle stops. I could not purchase a '99 YZ stop for my '99 WR. It shows up on the part list, but cannot be purchased. I would have to buy a new carb for it.

------------------
99 WR, all YZ mods, de-octopused, OEM YZ tank and IMS seat, jetting by Clark/James, got forked by Pro Action, DSP airbox, PB Header, Stroker SX-1 SA, Thumper Rad Guards, Acerbis Hand Guards, WAITING IMPATIENTLY FOR MOAB, boning up on my sheep shearing skills AND knowing Mitch will help me out IN ANY WAY I NEED IT!!

• Gary_Kessler

Posted August 07, 2000 - 12:59 PM

Charlie -
If you haven't already made the changes, Baja Designs sells a pretty cheap kit to do the YZ conversion ($29). It includes a new throttle stop, excellent instructions and new carb jets. I did the conversion myself, but I would recommend you taking it to a mechanic if you're not a weekend grease monkey. The timing chain change is a PAIN. You have to take off the top engine mount to get off the valve cover. The frame bolt at the corner is WAY TOO tight, so it's a pain.

Check them out www.bajadesigns.com.

ps. welcome to thumpertalk.com. great place to get and give information on your bike!

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted August 07, 2000 - 02:04 PM

I'd like to slip a question in here if I could. Do the WR shrouds work with the YZ tank and what seat hardware is Harold refering to? I'd like to order everything I need at once. Thanks in advance

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted August 07, 2000 - 03:18 PM

The shrouds are identical between the YZF and WR.
The WR seat hardware is identical to the YZF. All you need is to remove it from your WR's seat.

------------------
99 WR, all YZ mods, de-octopused, OEM YZ tank and IMS seat, jetting by Clark/James, got forked by Pro Action, DSP airbox, PB Header, Stroker SX-1 SA, Thumper Rad Guards, Acerbis Hand Guards, WAITING IMPATIENTLY FOR MOAB, boning up on my sheep shearing skills AND knowing Mitch will help me out IN ANY WAY I NEED IT!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.