03 WR450F starter making god awful noise

2 replies to this topic
  • willy_fitz

Posted August 05, 2007 - 11:59 PM

Last weekend was the first time I had the bike out this year (lohg story) and the starter was making nasty nioses like metal on metal. I took the starter out yesterday and I can see some wear on the armature shaft where it rides on the rear bushing (commutator end). I have checked the manual and it does not give any information on replacing the bushing or lubrication so it looks like I will be buying a new starter.
I would like to rebuild this starter if possible for a spare. Anyone have any ideas? :confused:
The bike has all the 04 starter upgrades.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dayvn

Posted August 06, 2007 - 08:13 AM

there is a post about where to get a replacement bushing. It is a little long and you have to cut it down. I am having the same problem. I rode last week to see ho bad it would be to kick the thing all day. All i can say is it is the easiest bike i have ever started. Way easier than a xr200! I am getting rid of the starter and battery on mine. Saves 13 pounds and lets the bike breathe easier. I am still going to rebuild the starter for when i sell the bike i can put it back on.

• Toinky

Posted August 10, 2007 - 10:43 PM

Here is a link to a thorough thread about rebuilding my starter after it began screaching:
http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=451945

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.