I GOT A GREEN STICKER!

22 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted August 01, 2000 - 11:31 AM

Since receiving a new WR400 for Father's day, I've been reading this site and I've learned a lot. After reading a few posts on the subject of California registration I was convinced that I was going to get a red sticker.(It limits where & when you can ride.) I opened the mail today and lo and behold I got a green sticker.I guess it's just a crap shoot.I have a question for Rod(PICTURES PAGE 2). What seat-tank combo is that? Also, has anyone installed grease fittings on thier linkage? Is there a kit? One more question-is it my imagination or are most of the new 4-stroke riders middle aged ex CR riders who are getting back in to dirt riding?

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted August 01, 2000 - 12:10 PM

I recently purchased a 2000 WR400 and received a red sticker. I live in suburban Los Angeles and unfortunately, will be unable to (legally) ride in most local areas during the summer months. The only areas open year round seem to be a great distance or are sooo darn hot, you can't ride in the summertime anyway. Anybody ever petitioned the DMV for a green sticker instead of a red??? Also, is the law regulating red stickers readily enforced. Anybody ever been ticketed for riding with a red sticker in the "off" season. Thanks...

• John_in_Long_Beach

Posted August 01, 2000 - 12:39 PM

Todd,

I haven't heard about petitioning the DMV.

But I would go down and tell them you got the wrong sticker and see what happens.
Somebody has to blaze the trail.

When I renew, if I get a red sticker, I will go down and tell them they made a mistake.

It was my understanding from the dealers that the WR would get a green sticker and fortunately I did.

But why else would Yamaha put such a restrictive baffle and a throttle stop in, if not to get in under the limits.

Why make the bike intentionally run like crap if there was not point. I just doesn't make sense.

It is a manufacturer's goal to sell bikes.

Can you imagine how many Hyabusas, Suzuki would sell if they were governed to 1/2 throttle.

Best of luck and let us know what happens.

John

P.S. - I do have the 3 or C in the 8th digit which people have said generates a red sticker, so who knows what to believe.

[This message has been edited by John in Long Beach (edited 08-01-2000).]

[This message has been edited by John in Long Beach (edited 08-01-2000).]

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted August 01, 2000 - 02:23 PM

It is a Big Crap Shoot!!! I too live in So CAL and purchased a used 1999 yz400, when I went to change
over registration I just figured I would get a RED Sticker. The DMV(fullerton) had problems with the program and sent my paper work to Sacramento. When I received my paperwork from the state they confirmed
that it was a RED sticker bike and to go down to the DMV and pickup my sticker.
When I walked out of the DMV I had a Green Sticker in Hand along with all the correct paperwork. Of course I
did not say anything to the DMV, so we will see what
happens. I am oing up to Arrowhead(Pinnacles) here shortly, which is suppose to be out of date for RED stickers, but we will see what happens.

Mike P

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted August 01, 2000 - 04:00 PM

Originally posted by Mike P:
It is a Big Crap Shoot!!! I too live in So CAL and purchased a used 1999 yz400, when I went to change
over registration I just figured I would get a RED Sticker. The DMV(fullerton) had problems with the program and sent my paper work to Sacramento. When I received my paperwork from the state they confirmed
that it was a RED sticker bike and to go down to the DMV and pickup my sticker.
When I walked out of the DMV I had a Green Sticker in Hand along with all the correct paperwork. Of course I
did not say anything to the DMV, so we will see what
happens. I am oing up to Arrowhead(Pinnacles) here shortly, which is suppose to be out of date for RED stickers, but we will see what happens.

Mike P

I have heard that some Rangers who do not agree with the Red sticker may not be enforcing. I also have a '00 model, but have not received my sticker yet. Still on the temp.
Dan

• Bryan Bosch

Posted August 01, 2000 - 04:31 PM

I too have green sticker for my 99 WR. The cool thing is that once you have it, I've heard that the DMV has no plans to recall them, even if they knew. The lady at the DMV could care less about the sticker when I registered. Also, the baffle and throttle stop are not there just to me CARB standards, but national EPA standards. Yamaha made them removable because that is what its customers wanted. My old 96 XR twofiddy has the removable airbox baffle and exhaust diffuser. I found out that Honda jetted the bike with these items removed! If you have red sticker, ask the DMV to issue a green sticker. Afterall, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

• imported_Scott_H

Posted August 01, 2000 - 07:24 PM

Here's the deal on how to tell if you have a red sticker or green sticker bike:

Check the eighth digit of the VIN stamped on the right hand side of the frame’s steering head tube. If its a “3” or a “C” you are hosed and will be issued a red sticker. You also have no chance of ever dual sporting this bike in California. All of the 98 and 99 WRs that I have seen have a “W” in the 8th digit of the VIN, therefore you will be issued a green sticker. The 00s & 01s have a 3.

Check out http://ohv.parks.ca..../redsticker.htm for the official (communist state of California) information on this subject.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted August 02, 2000 - 04:38 AM

I was too concerned about receiving a red sticker as I like to ride year around. Especially in the mountains in So. California. So I found a dealer who was willing to issue a license plate through the dealership. I was surprised that I found 3-4 dealers who would actually do the paperwork and submit to the DMV for a plate. I have "3" in the ID# so I was flagged for a "red" sticker. Anyway, I received my plates and mounted a Baja kit on the bike with low profile turn signal.....now I can go anywhere, anytime. I suggest if you know anyone buying a WR (or thumper) to do the same. The only extra cost is for registration...small price to pay for the anytime, anywhere insurance.

• Bryan Bosch

Posted August 02, 2000 - 06:07 AM

Scott H, I've seen CR 250's dual sported in San Diego! Clearly, the DMV is all screwed up on this issue. I believe there are a number of ways to get a green sticker for a red sticker bike. Especially, if you buy the bike new. As meantioned, many dealers will submitt the paperwork for you.

• Pyroted

Posted August 02, 2000 - 06:46 AM

I have a close personal connection with a CA DMV employee. Here is the correct scoop. Local DMV offices are Screwed up as far as understanding all of the regulations, and you may or may not get a Green sticker (depending on the Motor Vehicle Field Rep you are dealing with)

By the way, Don't call them Clerks It rubs them the wrong way.

But if they have to send your Reg. to Sac. they WILL get it right and you will receive a RED sticker for your 2000 WR.

As far a Dual reg. is concerned, it is not a dual registerable bike. Once again if you get it done locally you may get it through. Here's how.

Have them do the reg for the street portion of the bike first. They can over ride the Vin. problem if they are confused enough about the process. After that is complete they can do the Off Highway part and because it is registered on the street it will issue a green sticker.

Just remember, they might get it right and you may only get a red sticker.

Hope this helps and please no E-mails on this subject as I am away from home alot and my E-mail sometimes gets intercepted By the Above mentioned DMV empolyee. She gets touchy when I help others Cheat the system. Any other subjects though feel free.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted August 02, 2000 - 07:24 AM

I'm assuming my registration went through Sacramento because the dealer sent it in.One note though, he wrote accross the top "GREEN STICKER" hoping to send a subliminal message. He told my wife, who bought the bike, that I had a 50\50 chance of getting a green.

• Team_Oatmeal_Pie

Posted August 02, 2000 - 10:08 AM

Red stickers, green stickers, what a bunch of garbage, you should be able to buy a bike slap a freaking sparky on the pipe, pay a few $ for an ORV sticker and ride where and when you want. You people are controlled by the government with a little stamp that says where you can go, that is total crap. I fear the day when rules like that creep up north to oregon. I can go to a local mini-mart pay $10 fill out a form, and go ride when and where I want, prohibiting freedom of movement and recreation on public land/ our land is ridiculous, ride free. To think if we could only get organized like the NRA. Then off roaders would make the rules for off roading not geeking politicians and eco freaks.

• James_in_New_Mexico

Posted August 02, 2000 - 10:29 AM

I'm new to the forum, Been watching it a couple of weeks now. I cames across it while researching the WR. I Say that Team Oatmeal Pie is right on the money!!!

• Bryan Bosch

Posted August 02, 2000 - 11:38 AM

Oatmeal Pie, I just moved from Oregon and I can say that the environazi front is very strong there too. Don't get caught with your pants down! ;-) This kind of crap sneeks up when you least expect it. Fortunately, your cooler, season whether keeps the air relatively clean. Look what happend to the Oregon timber industry because of the spotted owl? Don't be too confident that you won't be in our spot (So.Cal) in the future.

• brent

Posted August 02, 2000 - 01:09 PM

Originally posted by ROD NOKIN:
Since receiving a new WR400 for Father's day, I've been reading this site and I've learned a lot. After reading a few posts on the subject of California registration I was convinced that I was going to get a red sticker.(It limits where & when you can ride.) I opened the mail today and lo and behold I got a green sticker.I guess it's just a crap shoot.I have a question for Rod(PICTURES PAGE 2). What seat-tank combo is that? Also, has anyone installed grease fittings on thier linkage? Is there a kit? One more question-is it my imagination or are most of the new 4-stroke riders middle aged ex CR riders who are getting back in to dirt riding?

yes you never know what will happen i got my 00 wr street legal

• ricky1

Posted August 02, 2000 - 01:14 PM

Rod, in reference to your other question, I am 45 and did not ride for 20 yrs. In '99 I semi restored an '81 490 Maico and put about 20 hrs on it. Jan 28 I got my 426 and so far have put about 70 rides on it, 2-3 hrs per ride.

------------------
Rick Fuller
'00 YZ426
'81 490 Maico

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted August 02, 2000 - 02:17 PM

Hey Ricky 1, I too am 45 and hav'nt ridden much since my 10 year old was born. I love my cr250 and I love my new WR, but they sure are way different.

• Ratso

Posted August 02, 2000 - 07:31 PM

One thing I have to say about the grease fittings on the linkage, BUY A DRZ THEY COME STOCK, but you all knew that.

• Team_Oatmeal_Pie

Posted August 03, 2000 - 06:34 PM

Not to worry lads, I know they are out there and doing their best to stop me/us from riding in areas no one in their right mind would want to hike or visit. I regularly write and fax and email my views on the local issues. Unfortunately it is often difficult to find out where and when and area is being challenged. Thankfully the local clubs do a good job of notifying riders, the Trailsman and OMRA and currently some of the better sources of info. I will say I find it pathetic that the bike shops dont get more involved. Not too long ago I was buying some oil/filters and noticed at flyer at the check out detailing a situation. The cashier should have been handing one to each customer as they left but there where not, instead I just happened to notice it laying there on the edge of the counter. Someone on the forum said the dealers/big four should add the $29 to the cost of a bike for a AMA or Blue Rib membership, dont even give the person a choice, that way they will be in the loop on whats going on. For that matter the manufactures should cough up the $ and give each buyer a membership,organization is what will save us. Its only logical that as the population increases more people means more riders, and to accomodate more riders means opening up more lands to ORV, the answer is to expand and manage these areas not shut down and exclude people. But dont say it cant happen, REMEMBER WHEN 3 WHEELERS WHERE OUTLAWED, imagine a scene where the media makes a 3wheeler out to be the devil and so unsafe that we must protect the public from itself, I distinctly remeber Barbara Walters on 20/20 doing story on a family who bought 2 3wheelers for their 2 early teens sons for xmas who had no previous motorized experience. sent them out that day with no helmets and sure enough johnny rolled it on and off camber and paralyzed himself, they cried and blamed the unsage design, Barbara cheerfully demonstrated this fact by pushing a 3wheeler over that was set up sideways on an off camber so we could all watch it tumble down the hill. I hate her to this day for that, In my opinion the parents should have been held responsible for such a serious lack of judgement, I jeez would you hand your son a gun, not offer any training and send him off to play, I dont think so. I also remember the mags taking similiar action that we today are doing, like giving readers prewritten letters to sign and send to their congressmen, long story short we lost. It could happen again, the similiarities are there. Sorry for the rant and rave but sometimes I just want to come unglued on those people. In perspective we are the villians/bad guys in this situation, we have effectively been put on the defensive and portrayed as the problem. GET INVOLVED.

• DaveJ

Posted August 03, 2000 - 10:51 PM

Two of three riding areas that I go to are closed to red sticker bikes.

The third was also suppose to be green sticker only, but opened the summer up to all bikes.

I have a YZ426 that received a red sticker via Sacramento. So I went down to the first DMV and was issued another red sticker. Went to the second DMV and after watching them count to the "C", they gave me a green sticker. Good to June 2002. Two of my red sticker friends did the very same thing, (YZ426 and YZ125).

I'm not sure what's up with these guys, but if it's an issue for you, keep on trying.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.