Found out how far a 07 WR450 can go.

42 replies to this topic
  • kevinwr450f

Posted August 06, 2007 - 07:51 PM

It's 2.1 gallons and you'll be lucky to see 60 miles out of a tank. I ride two times a week long distance.... Lots of terrian changes from pinned in 5th to 2nd gear trails.... I've NEVER seen more than 55 miles out of a tank on GPS and my odometer... good luck

Wr

• KennyMc

Posted August 06, 2007 - 09:05 PM

Of course, if you you do a lot of wheelies, who knows...:thumbsup:

• jpoehls

Posted August 07, 2007 - 05:13 PM

This really is not complicated. Ride your bike at a fixed RPM in second gear and see how many miles you go. Now ride in 5th gear at the same RPM's...its not a linear relationship. A very rough estimate would be the %difference in applied horsepower (inverse) in the 2 gears times the speed in 5th divided by the speed in 2nd. That is a very rough estimate, but in the ball park. Now bring in the dynamics of elevation, terrain/traction, acceleration...just to name a few and the differences really magnify.

I ride like TyeeHusky in the Utah mountains, and I refuel at a little over 40 miles. I have 287 miles total on the bike with all the mods (still in break in), and the rear tire will be lucky to see 350 or less. Its almost gone from the tearing of the rocks and climbing...and pure acceleration power (I have not taken the bike over 7,000 RPM - and still wheelies in 3 gears; which means shes a pure screamer approaching 10,000! and red line is out of this world).

It certainly is plausible to see 80 miles or so on a tank if you ride at relatively higher constant speeds. On the other hand, if you ride and climb your bike hard in slower technical terrian...you may be empty in less than 40 miles.

This is a good question, and the explanation is relatively straight forward don't you think?.:prof: :ride:

• Sycamore

Posted August 07, 2007 - 06:51 PM

This really is not complicated. Ride your bike at a fixed RPM in second gear and see how many miles you go. Now ride in 5th gear at the same RPM's...its not a linear relationship. A very rough estimate would be the %difference in applied horsepower (inverse) in the 2 gears times the speed in 5th divided by the speed in 2nd. That is a very rough estimate, but in the ball park. Now bring in the dynamics of elevation, terrain/traction, acceleration...just to name a few and the differences really magnify.

I ride like TyeeHusky in the Utah mountains, and I refuel at a little over 40 miles. I have 287 miles total on the bike with all the mods (still in break in), and the rear tire will be lucky to see 350 or less. Its almost gone from the tearing of the rocks and climbing...and pure acceleration power (I have not taken the bike over 7,000 RPM - and still wheelies in 3 gears; which means shes a pure screamer approaching 10,000! and red line is out of this world).

It certainly is plausible to see 80 miles or so on a tank if you ride at relatively higher constant speeds. On the other hand, if you ride and climb your bike hard in slower technical terrian...you may be empty in less than 40 miles.

This is a good question, and the explanation is relatively straight forward don't you think?.:prof: :ride:

If I could see 80 miles on a 2.1 tank I'd be mighty happy! My goal is 100 miles with 3 gallons with a mix of fire roads, quad trails, and single track....heavily weighted towards fire roads.

• SurvivorMan

Posted August 08, 2007 - 02:41 PM

i have hit reserve in 30 miles, doing a lot of shale hill climbs. i bet i could make it run out in 20 miles if i tryed. i have also got 55 miles before hitting reserve riding open truck trails and quad trails. but there is no way that a 2.1 gal can get 100 miles before hitting reserve....unless...you are putting down a road or gravel road, then maybe it's possible, but where i am from, that is not trail riding.

i just blew up my stock tank with compressed air (heated up the plastic tank first with boiling water). stock was 8 litres and now i have 9.3 litres. it is a free mod, it takes about an hour to complete, then you have to let the tank cool down over night and it looks and feels stock. you would never notice any width gained or the extra weight when full. i cannot stand those large tanks when they are full, that fuel weighs a ton. i blew up my 06 yz stock tank last year as well. raced it all last year and never had any issues. the compressed air is only at about 4 psi, so no real danger. i highly recommend this mod.

• Sycamore

Posted August 08, 2007 - 03:03 PM

i have hit reserve in 30 miles, doing a lot of shale hill climbs. i bet i could make it run out in 20 miles if i tryed. i have also got 55 miles before hitting reserve riding open truck trails and quad trails. but there is no way that a 2.1 gal can get 100 miles before hitting reserve....unless...you are putting down a road or gravel road, then maybe it's possible, but where i am from, that is not trail riding.

i just blew up my stock tank with compressed air (heated up the plastic tank first with boiling water). stock was 8 litres and now i have 9.3 litres. it is a free mod, it takes about an hour to complete, then you have to let the tank cool down over night and it looks and feels stock. you would never notice any width gained or the extra weight when full. i cannot stand those large tanks when they are full, that fuel weighs a ton. i blew up my 06 yz stock tank last year as well. raced it all last year and never had any issues. the compressed air is only at about 4 psi, so no real danger. i highly recommend this mod.

You have all the tricks!! How did you inject the 4 psi..overflow?...petcock?

• SurvivorMan

Posted August 10, 2007 - 02:30 PM

not all the tricks, just learned a few from some great TT members.

inject through gas cap. i hose clamped to the top of the gas cap and then hose clamped to a valve stem at the other end of longer portion of black vent line off of ball valve that is just after the gas cap....so in other words, remove the ball valve that is just after the gas cap. good luck!

• WRob

Posted August 10, 2007 - 06:55 PM

Is it possible your speedometer's are not set up correctly? This might explain all the mileages and some of these guy's out there that think because the speedometer reads 140 mph they have the fastest WR ever made. I'm not talking smack, but speedometers have variables that might explain some of these descrepencies.

• kenny1234

Posted August 11, 2007 - 09:09 AM

my 07 450 only does between 31 - 36 miles before i hit reserve and its on a 160mj every ride this happens riding steady or flat out always between 31-36mpg

• Beejay

Posted August 11, 2007 - 05:51 PM

the wr 250 and 450 have the same tanks right?
on my 07 250 i got 138km with the reserve empty

Not what that is in miles

138kms = 85miles:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Rich_in_Orlando

Posted August 13, 2007 - 07:06 AM

Different conditions = different gas mileage. My '99 usually gets 30-35 mpg in the sand but in the mountains I get 45-50 mpg. It also depends on your riding style, but the less you spin your rear wheel the better fuel economy you get, plain and simple.

• mikewr450

Posted August 13, 2007 - 03:12 PM

i am on mile 39 and still havent run outta gas yet. still tryin to break her in.

• bobc1

Posted August 24, 2007 - 07:40 PM

Moderate to fast desert trails: 2.1 gallons = 60 - 65 miles

Very slow hill trails: 2.1 gallons = 45 - 50 miles

This is with the AIS removal kit installed on 2007 WR450F's.

• RnB

Posted August 25, 2007 - 05:39 AM

I generally get 60km (37 miles) until reserve. Tight single track, 1st and 2nd gear. JD Jetting. Blue needle, clip 2nd from top. #168 main. #48 pilot. Fuel screw 1 1/2 turns out. Air box mod and small exhaust insert removed. I'm going to have a look at the plug and see if it may be a little rich.

I like your idea, albertabigdog. Thanks for sharing :applause: . Would it have killed Yamaha to put an 11 litre (2.9 US gallon) tank on. The KTM XC/XCWs don't feel fat.

• chevytrkn1

Posted August 26, 2007 - 11:55 AM

while breaking my bike in, considering its still stock with ais,throttle stop etc. i put 45 miles on and it took 1.08 gallons of gas to refill it

• AnthonyB

Posted August 27, 2007 - 09:23 PM

I'm beginning to think there's something wrong with my 07 WR450 :cry:

I only get 40 - 50 Kilometers before hitting reserve, and my pipe burns a lovely tan / grey :crazy:

• Miotch

Posted September 09, 2007 - 07:11 PM

this weekend I did west higgins and denton in mid-michigan, both about 40 miles round trip. had to hit reserve around 39-41 miles each ride, and use it for the last couple miles back to the trail head. did the ais removal, jd kit, snorkel removal, etc. 1st/second gear tight single track, lots of sand. sounds like I don't have a leak like I thought. I'm heavy handed and still learning to ride dirt, so I'm probably not too efficient with the butterfly. oh, this is on an 07. guess I need a tank then, eh? fookin yamaha....

• kissfan113

Posted September 09, 2007 - 07:21 PM

I rode mine on mostly hard top and gravel friday, pulled 74 miles out of it before i hit reserve, i beat on it, hard throttle and puttin around, so i wasn't exactly goin for mileage more testin throttle response, i'm also having jetting trouble and planning an install of the jd jet kit i bought soon, so that could have affected my results,

• yamahead01

Posted September 10, 2007 - 05:21 PM

Not to flog a dead horse but my 07 wr also gets 50 mpt give or take a few miles but this is before reserve and I believe the reserve is more generous than we think although 50 miles is weak for a offroad bike!

• yankee270

Posted September 10, 2007 - 07:04 PM

I rode some mountain trails this weekend and went 62 miles. Got back and switched the tank out with an IMS. I must have dumped out at least 1/2 gallon. With that said I can for sure see 80+ miles before reserve on a stock.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.