Found out how far a 07 WR450 can go.

42 replies to this topic
  • TyeeHusky

Posted August 05, 2007 - 07:56 PM

Ok folks, went out for a great ride this weekend. Began to a little concerned about gas since the trip out was 28 miles. On the way back I turned it off on down hills (I was in the mountains of Washington) Well I think I did that for about 3 miles. As I was pulling into the campground I ran out of gas. Turned on the reserve for the final 5oo feet!!

So, I think the stock tank will do about 50 to 53 miles without coasting, not sure about reserve but cannot be much. I also was easy on the throttle to concerve gas.

Moral is to watch how far you go on the stock tank. Better option is to get a bigger tank.

• erickdj

Posted August 05, 2007 - 08:23 PM

Ok folks, went out for a great ride this weekend. Began to a little concerned about gas since the trip out was 28 miles. On the way back I turned it off on down hills (I was in the mountains of Washington) Well I think I did that for about 3 miles. As I was pulling into the campground I ran out of gas. Turned on the reserve for the final 5oo feet!!

So, I think the stock tank will do about 50 to 53 miles without coasting, not sure about reserve but cannot be much. I also was easy on the throttle to concerve gas.

Moral is to watch how far you go on the stock tank. Better option is to get a bigger tank.

that's weird. I've gone for 70+ miles on one tank, in the mountains and not exactly going "easy" on the gas. :thinking:

• wingnut16

Posted August 06, 2007 - 05:47 AM

What size tank is on the 07? My 04 will do 100 miles on a tank and its a stock tank. :ride:

wingnut16

• KennyMc

Posted August 06, 2007 - 06:26 AM

The tank size on the 07 WR450 is 2.1 gallons. I was able to go 50 miles before going on reserve. This was riding 90% singletrack up in the LPNF.

• FreeRideSouth

Posted August 06, 2007 - 06:28 AM

I did a 100 mile run through the mountains in WV. Left the condo with a full tank (a little more than 2 gallons I think). Ran it hard, at times over 80 according to the speedo, did some recently cut logging roads, several decent climbs. I ran it hard most of the ride. About 20 miles was on paved roads where I held back a bit. Hit reserve as I drove back into the condo parking lot.

I read a lot of stuff here on TT about fuel usage and I think there must be something wrong with the bikes these guys are riding, unless they run 1st and 2nd gear the entire ride.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted August 06, 2007 - 06:59 AM

100 mile run with a full tank (a little more than 2 gallons I think). Ran it hard

dang i have a 3.2 tank im gonna have to run it hard and see what i get

• TyeeHusky

Posted August 06, 2007 - 08:16 AM

I was at the Mad River area here in Washington State.

Most of it is 2000 to 4000+ elevation with lots of switch back mountain climbing. 2nd gear is the norm with 1st being used some. There is no 4 gear low rpm riding.

The comment about something wrong with some peoples bikes is not correct but the type fo riding a person does and at what speed makes a huge differnce. I have checked my 07 many times and i usally get 25 miles to the gallon of fuel. This weekend just confirmed it.

• dirtrider04

Posted August 06, 2007 - 08:24 AM

the wr 250 and 450 have the same tanks right?
on my 07 250 i got 138km with the reserve empty

Not what that is in miles

• SJMC_DON

Posted August 06, 2007 - 08:34 AM

I am (actually was) lucky to get 45 miles on my 07' before switching to reserve, and anyone that tells me they get 100 miles out of 2.1 gal tank is full of sheet:bonk: I don't care how lean your jetting is, that is just not going to happen... I installed the GYTR AIS removal kit and all associated jets only exception is that I went with a 172 vs. the 175 main sent with the kit. I live and ride in the same areas as TyeeHusky and I ride with guys that have 07 Wr's just like me... yes, fuel consumption varies from bike to bike, or maybe from rider to rider... (I am very heavy handed when it comes to the throttle)... anyway, just installed my IMS 3.1 and did not have to pit at the races for the first time:applause:

• FreeRideSouth

Posted August 06, 2007 - 08:55 AM

I am (actually was) lucky to get 45 miles on my 07' before switching to reserve, and anyone that tells me they get 100 miles out of 2.1 gal tank is full of sheet:bonk:

I am full of "sheet" them. I ride about 90 to 100 miles before reserve running around town, never checked it riding the MX track and haven't had enough trail riding to get the numbers yet. In New Jersey I ran a tank through it last month, got about the same before reserve, it was 50% trail 50% road.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SJMC_DON

Posted August 06, 2007 - 09:05 AM

I am full of "sheet" them. I ride about 90 to 100 miles before reserve running around town, never checked it riding the MX track and haven't had enough trail riding to get the numbers yet. In New Jersey I ran a tank through it last month, got about the same before reserve, it was 50% trail 50% road.

You have an 07' with the 2.1 gallon tank?

Make sure your odo is not set to km's..... this would mean your bike is getting 50+ miles / gallon..:excuseme:

• FreeRideSouth

Posted August 06, 2007 - 09:18 AM

Yes, it is a 2007 WR450 with the stock tank. It has the "free mods" and a Yosh pipe. No the odo is not set on km's. The bike is jetted for sea level which would be rich for WV but seemed good in NJ, (I'm in Florida but travel as much as possible). Doubt jetting would make a difference of 10 mpg. I see the same statements of low mpg's in the DR-Z forum.

45 to 50 mpg

• SJMC_DON

Posted August 06, 2007 - 09:48 AM

Yes, it is a 2007 WR450 with the stock tank. It has the "free mods" and a Yosh pipe. No the odo is not set on km's. The bike is jetted for sea level which would be rich for WV but seemed good in NJ, (I'm in Florida but travel as much as possible). Doubt jetting would make a difference of 10 mpg. I see the same statements of low mpg's in the DR-Z forum.

45 to 50 mpg

hmmmm..... go figure, well stranger things have happened, I wish I could get the same out of mine. It runs good but I know I'm a little on the rich side for my riding environment

• KennyMc

Posted August 06, 2007 - 10:16 AM

Being that there was 20 miles of pavement and a lot of logging fire roads, it seems a bit hard to compare. Riding in 2nd, 3rd up rocky hillclimbs on/off the gas is different then running 5th with the throttle in a steady position. Hard to tell how the consumption would vary.

I put the IMS 3.1 gallon tank on last week to at least extend it a bit further:ride:

• dustinw

Posted August 06, 2007 - 11:00 AM

I get 30-35 miles out of a tank before I have to hit reserve. This is in tight 1 & 2 gear trails, with the occaisional gravel road thrown in.

• TyeeHusky

Posted August 06, 2007 - 12:39 PM

May be a bit boring but what I will do is fill the tank then ride logging roads at a good 4 gear low rpm speed. Put on 25 miles and then refill the tank. This will tell if bikes or conditions cause the difference in economy. May be a boring ride but am curious to know

• godhappan

Posted August 06, 2007 - 12:53 PM

I get 90 miles, stock tank, w/o and single track mixed riding

• SJMC_DON

Posted August 06, 2007 - 02:43 PM

I get 90 miles, stock tank, w/o and single track mixed riding

I think 06' tank is like 2.4 or 2.6 gallons.... 90 miles is believable with that capacity.

My 07' at the Desert 100 only got 39 miles before switching to reserve:eek:

Riding Single track I'm averaging 40 - 45 miles before I hit reserve, never figured out how far I could go on reserve.

Non issue now with the 3.1:thumbsup:

• Michigan DS

Posted August 06, 2007 - 03:03 PM

Rode this weekend with a friend of mine, we both just bought 07 WR450s. He has the stock tank and I have the IMS 3.1. JD Jetting (168 main), he has and FMF and I have stock pipe. Based on our odometers and refueling quantities, we were getting 33-35 miles per gallon (not per tank). We were not full throttle but also were not driving Ms Daisy. I would call it moderate plus trail riding. 800' MSL 80 degrees.

Just our averages.

take care,
Doug

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted August 06, 2007 - 03:59 PM

I think 06' tank is like 2.4 or 2.6 gallons.... 90 miles is believable with that capacity.

nope its 2.1, i just checked the yamaha website

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.