my first handlebar handstand! (XR650L)

7 replies to this topic
  • jeanluconze

Posted August 05, 2007 - 05:05 PM

I got stuck in a rut going up a hill, kicked me off the trail into a ditch. Front tire stopped, I didn't and flipped over the bars. :cripple: NO, I only got some scratches. :thumbsup:

My question is: how can I tell if the forks are tweaked? It doesn't seem to be off by very much, but I think I can feel a slight misalignment. Can't tell if the bars are bent or not and I can't tell if the forks are tweaked. But it feels oh-so-slightly off. Maybe I'm just imagining it because I've never paid attention to it this closely and now I'm paranoid. Any measurement tricks to know for sure if bars/forks are bent?

I went to cyclegear and bought a protaper 1 1/8 CR high bend with adapters for stock t-clamp. Should I use this even if my bars aren't bent. Are the stockers that crappy or should I return it?

Oh yeah, I've heard about that ridiculous stock shifter that bends into the clutch cover when you go bonzai. It bent on me today and gouged the cover - luckily didn't punch through. What a shitty design! any good aftermarket shifter ideas?

Thanks guys

• pianoexcellence

Posted August 05, 2007 - 08:33 PM

When I had my first real crash, I had to re-align my forks. I just loosened the bolts that attatch to the telescopic legs and turned my front tire against a tree untill it was back straight again.

I'm not sure if I answered your question, :excuseme: but that would be the simplest place to start.

Pianoexcellence

• martinfan30

Posted August 05, 2007 - 09:16 PM

MSR makes a very stout little shift lever. i put one on my pig after it bent the piss out of the stock lever. only prob. with the msr shifter is the splines dont line up exactly like the stock shifter.you are either just a hair too high or too low when its on the shift shaft.

• Denn10

Posted August 06, 2007 - 05:39 AM

When I had my first real crash, I had to re-align my forks. I just loosened the bolts that attatch to the telescopic legs and turned my front tire against a tree untill it was back straight again.

I'm not sure if I answered your question, :excuseme: but that would be the simplest place to start.

Pianoexcellence

^^^^ thats how you do it. Ive heard MSR for shifters also seems they are the most popular and best.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kyron

Posted August 06, 2007 - 05:52 AM

X2 on how to "re-align" the forks.

The problem with the stronger aftermarket shifter is look what you just made to be the new weak link :naughty: the shifter shaft. I'd rather have to straighten the shifter with two 6" adjustable wrenchs than have to ride home in what ever gear I was in (best case) or have to find somthing to plug the hole where the shifter shaft used to be and get towed back to civilazition (worst case).......

:rant: dont dought the all knowing Honda engineer's

• martinfan30

Posted August 06, 2007 - 06:25 AM

good point! either way you are looking at engine work!

• jeanluconze

Posted August 06, 2007 - 07:39 AM

X2 on how to "re-align" the forks.

The problem with the stronger aftermarket shifter is look what you just made to be the new weak link :naughty: the shifter shaft. I'd rather have to straighten the shifter with two 6" adjustable wrenchs than have to ride home in what ever gear I was in (best case) or have to find somthing to plug the hole where the shifter shaft used to be and get towed back to civilazition (worst case).......

:rant: dont dought the all knowing Honda engineer's

Good point - that's the same logic I'm using in debating whether or not to use the pro-taper taperwall I bought. The stock bend-o-matics give way before the forks bend too much. It's like having a crumple zone.

• jeanluconze

Posted August 06, 2007 - 07:41 AM

AND... the Honda engineers, if they're so great, should have anticipated that weak shifter putting a hole in the engine!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.