BAD case of buyers remourse!!

12 replies to this topic
  • Dougie

Posted July 29, 2000 - 04:31 PM

Oh God help me please. Someone talk me into thinking I just did a good thing.

Bent my Renthals last weekend and on the sites advice, went and purchased a set of Answer Pro Taper bars and the Answer triple clamp so they fit. No big deal right? WAIT, it gets better.

I get home tonight and go to put them on and realize the triple clamp is for the YZ400. It didn't even cross my mind that I have a speedo and headlight to attach. So I have to return them.

Now here is where I don't advocate working on your bike after you've had a couple of beers. It clouds your judgement (especially when the wife is not around to knock some sense into you).

I can't return the stuff until Monday. So I'm stewing about my bonehead mistake and what do I do? Oh Christ, someone help me. I get on the freakin' phone with Scott's and order the complete Scott's setup which includes: Pro Taper bars, steering dampner as well as the top and bottom triple clamps that bring the forks in 5mm. $750 bones. As the title says, I have a severe case of buyers remourse.

Now this is how I justify the purchase (I am a sick person). About two months ago I swore I would not put another dime into this bike except for mntc needs. Well, last month we found out that we are going to be parents for the first time. So here is my rational...I should make this purchase, because once the baby is born, that will be the end of such off the cuff spending thrifts. So I should get everthing now right? You guys with kids, back me up please.

My wife, to say the least, will not agree with my thinking.

All you guys with this setup, please, please, please tell me it is worth the money. Tell me I will notice a HUGE difference in performance. Tell me I did the right thing.

------------------
Dougie, '99 WR400
Mods: YZ timing, Race Tech Suspension, FMF PC IV, FMF Hi FLo Moto, YZ seat, IMS 3.3 tank, One Industries Graphics, Renthal bars, 14/52 gearing.

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted July 29, 2000 - 06:00 PM

Dougie,
Can't help you on the bike decisions, but welcome to the world of kids. YOU ARE GOING TO BE A DADDY!!!!!

Congratulations! :)

• Clark_Mason

Posted July 29, 2000 - 06:26 PM

Dougie

All right Dougie going to be a DAD congratulations and good luck POP!!

You will love the quality and performance of the complete Scotts stack and the improved turning on your 99 WR 400. Make sure you use a exellent front tire like a Dunlop 756, etc. The steering dampener once set up properly is worth its weight in gold, however, my wife never believe it but its ture--you will love it.

Congrats

Clark

• Mike

Posted July 29, 2000 - 08:13 PM

Dougie,

Kids are the best. I have 3 and would not have gotten back into riding if it had not been for my 11 year boy getting stoked about MX. thx espn 2 for the coverage. Got me back to something I loved as a kid and now having more fun then ever. The innocence of a kid when you've had a bad day is the best thing to look forward to. You may have a bad day, but they will light up your world. Again I have 3 so I believe I am experienced in this stuff. Nothing better. Can't comment on the dampner but spend, enjoy, although the spending does not go away after the child is born. You have to buy the little one a bike gear etc, then you have to match everything with the kid. Your wife has no choice but to agree. "HOney its for the kid." Truthfully, that doesn't work but its worth a try anyway. Congrats and enjoy it all, it is more than worth it.

Mike

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted July 30, 2000 - 02:49 AM

Dougie,
This is from my wife, Alisa. She said to get a secret credit card, and a secret PO Box (my idea). Then your wife will never find out. Unless your wife is like my wife...VERY INTUITIVE. Often Alisa knows things about me before I do. Lying to her is difficult, so much in fact I don't do it anymore (that is not including my Pro Action fork fix I forgot to mention to her-of which she found out). That, plus it doesn't strengthen a marriage.

Remember; It is always easier to get forgiveness than permission. Especially if you buy her something in return and lay some admitted guilt trip on yourself about how it wasn't right you did something for yourself but not her.

• Vincent

Posted July 30, 2000 - 04:49 AM

Well speaking as a guy thats been married almost 17 years and has three kids...every time I ask to buy something for my WR I get "I thought you said that bike was the trickest four stroke ever built". I say "It is by far the trickest thumper ever built dear". To which (and you guys already hear it coming) she replies "So why do you need to buy a new seat and tank and steering thingy?" UGH!!! They just dont understand...
P.S. Congrats on being a new daddy, I wouldnt trade being a dad for all the aftermarket stuff in the world.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bryan Bosch

Posted July 30, 2000 - 06:07 PM

Here's the scoop: the next time she wants shoes, let her buy her fill. The next time she wants that expensive piece of furniture, load it up. The next time she wants to go on that trip with the gals, say "have fun!" Works for me. I can buy just about anything for the bike with no guilt. It's expensive no guilt but, none-the-less, no guilt. :)

• Bill

Posted July 31, 2000 - 02:31 AM

Dougie,

Get a second job. Then you can tell the wife that she can have all of your hard earned cash from your "day job" and you can spend all of your "night job" money on bike stuff. That's what I did!

Here's a little parenting advice. For the first year you'll teach them to walk and talk..........for the next seventeen, you'll be telling them to sit down and shut-up:-)!

Seriously enjoy every minute of parenting, it goes by fast! Congrats.

Bill

------------------
86TT225, 98CR80, 99WR, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. Odometer and headlight removed. Moose hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank and IMS seat. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA.

• Dougie

Posted July 31, 2000 - 03:54 AM

Thanks for the well wishings guys. We are not due until Feb. but I have already started feeling numb.

I feel better about my purchase and will enjoy everything about it I'm sure.

------------------
Dougie, '99 WR400
Mods: YZ timing, Race Tech Suspension, FMF PC IV, FMF Hi FLo Moto, YZ seat, IMS 3.3 tank, One Industries Graphics, Renthal bars, 14/52 gearing.

• Henry

Posted July 31, 2000 - 04:27 AM

Hi Dougie, congratulation!!!
To have a good bike and kids is a wonderful
combo I can say!
But prepared to spend your $$ on your kid when she/he is out!!
You will love your kid like you love your bike!
Wish you all the best Dougie. :)

------------------
'98 WR400F, YZ timed, main:180, pilot:48, DVR needle 4th clip from top,
snorkel removed, YZ tank/seat combo, YZ front no.plate/rear fender,
DSP Ti exhaust system, Brembo front brake,steel braided hose, EZ clutch adjust perch,
Stroker billet rear brake reservoir

• AngryCandy

Posted July 31, 2000 - 05:29 AM

Dougie,

Congrats. I just wanted to add that this is probably a pretty good time to spend. Kids are not very costly the first couple of years (unless you are putting him/her in daycare.) I wish you & your wife all the best.

• Heywood

Posted July 31, 2000 - 05:20 PM

Congratulations Dougie, the BIG adventure is about to begin.

You did the right thing with your purchase. Right before I got married I went out and bought a new FZR600, a slightly used KX250 and a new Van. (Kevin speaks the truth it is easier to get forgiven than it is to get permission).

My first son came a few months later (oops)and it was about 8 years (and one more kid) before my next motorcycle purchase.

Now my boys are riding and it is so cool riding with them, teaching them about bikes, etc. Now they want new bikes!! Then they'll want cars!! :)

Enjoy!

[This message has been edited by Heywood (edited 07-31-2000).]

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted August 06, 2000 - 02:24 PM

Doug...also congrats...you've got tons-of-fun to look forward to. You will soon have the joy of getting you kids involved in riding, and if nothing else, it will give you some common ground to enjoy with them when most kids are trying to get away from their parents. Also, as far as the wife is concerned, I managed success with the "if you can't beat'em, join'em" philosophy. I got a Warrior 350 Quad for her and now our outings are great family time. Makes some of those additional purchases easier to swallow as well. Good luck...you're kids will definitely be the best thing ever!!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.