oil question

3 replies to this topic
  • vw127

Posted August 05, 2007 - 10:13 AM

My first oil change on an 07 450, I drained everything and changed the filter like the book said, but how much goes back in? The book says 1 quart then says 1.6 with filter change, then it says 1.27 complete. Isn't oil with filter complete? I know this is stupid, but how much are any of you putting in? Ok so here's another stupid question, does the copper gasket have to be on the drain plug on the bottem drain? Yup, it fell in the oil then I got distracted and forgot to put it back on and you guessed it, I already filled the bike. I was just going to tip it over and take it off to put the washer back on. I must still be in the clouds over a new ride!! Thanks Steve (YZ owner finaly)

• Ga426owner

Posted August 05, 2007 - 10:48 AM

Thank you for not asking what kind of oil to use:applause: :applause:

I put 1 qt in my 06 and then start bike and recheck level on stick

Yes you need the washer......you can drain it in a clean container and refill :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted August 05, 2007 - 03:34 PM

You mean 1.06, not 1.6. That's about exactly right. When I do the oil and filter on my '06, I dump a quart in, ad 50-70cc more, and it's always right when I check it.

The 1.27 qt "total" figure includes oil that never drains out. That has to stay in the engine so that it will make a mess on the work bench when you open it up.

If you don't put the washer on the plug, it will leak. Do it.

• vw127

Posted August 06, 2007 - 10:55 AM

Thanks guys, I figured it would leak without the washer there. I do wish there was a simpler wat to check the oil like a window on bikes in the older days!! Steve

Related Content

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.