R motor in a L???????

50 replies to this topic
  • flux 450x

Posted August 05, 2007 - 09:05 AM

ok...
has anybody ever swaped a XR650R motor to a XR650L frame?????
did a search but nothing.........
the deal is, i would get a R and just plate it, but here in wisconsin it cant be done anymore:mad: ..... and theres no way around it(i tryed)...... so....
the way it looks the L motor is limited to about 50HP at the wheel....
so what do you guys think......:ride:

• martinfan30

Posted August 05, 2007 - 09:10 AM

ok...
the deal is, i would get a R and just plate it, but here in wisconsin it cant be done anymore:mad: ..... and theres no way around it(i tryed)...... so....

you would be the first! i think that would be cool, but man, what a project!

• cleonard

Posted August 05, 2007 - 09:19 AM

ok...

Many states take the frame and the engine as a combo, change one and it might no longer be eligible for street status. Of course it they don't know...

The mounting of the engine may be a tough project. It should be doable though. Sounds like a cool project.

• jeanluconze

Posted August 05, 2007 - 10:18 AM

say bye to the cheese and move out of Wisconsin! Why are all these midwest states getting pickier than Cali now? At least in Cali you are grandfathered in with pre-2004 R's. I assume you tried that way around? No grandfathering there?

• flux 450x

Posted August 05, 2007 - 10:53 AM

:

say bye to the cheese and move out of Wisconsin! Why are all these midwest states getting pickier than Cali now? At least in Cali you are grandfathered in with pre-2004 R's. I assume you tried that way around? No grandfathering there?

no... if the vin # comes up as an off road omly bike, it dosnt have a fed. insp. sticker, so you have to show them at the DMV it has one....... or
no plates, i even went as far as getting a title from a diff. state(to plate a crf 450X) in my name, and no dice...... :banghead:

• martinfan30

Posted August 05, 2007 - 12:03 PM

you know, this really pisses me off! why cant we do this to a bike if we want! especially think about all the fuel savings. in the time of all the hybrid cars, epa pushing this on us and the manufacturers to build more efficient vehicles, why cant they see that a bike is more fuel efficeint! :bonk:

• BWB63

Posted August 05, 2007 - 12:18 PM

The XR600R frame (I would think also the XR650L) are lighter then the XR650R frame. So, in thought you would have a lighter bike then the XR600R was/is. The XR650R engine is 10 pounds lighter then the XR600R engine and 12 pounds lighter then the XR650L engine. Using a CR500/XR650R hybread shock to change the tail and change the triple clamps to change to half degree rake the bike will handle a little better. It would be closer to a Berg! It would be a fun bike....SM it and you wouldn't need all the change because you would be going the other direction anyways.

• MartinDKtm

Posted August 06, 2007 - 03:57 AM

Flux I also thought about that too, Its the same thing here in Quebec province. Can't plate a off road bike no more. Dmv's has event sent off road plate to all off road bike owners that were plated for the road. They can't take the road no more. There a bunch of !@$ hole.

• philipstjohn

Posted August 06, 2007 - 04:52 AM

:

no... if the vin # comes up as an off road omly bike, it dosnt have a fed. insp. sticker, so you have to show them at the DMV it has one....... or
no plates, i even went as far as getting a title from a diff. state(to plate a crf 450X) in my name, and no dice...... :banghead:

Try this- find a titled bike from another state for sale- have the seller fax you a copy of the title, then go to your DMV and let them know your considering buying this bike from out of state, and you want to make sure you will have no problems titling it. (act like your concerned about proper ownership, clean title, etc. -not the fact it is a titled dirt bike!) The state I live in began to keep tabs on all bikes sold in the state- dirt or street- so if you tried to buy a "off road only dirt bike" in the state, then go to a bike friendly neighboring state to get it titled and bring it back, they would have records its origin was off road use only, and they would not transfer title. Your state may be keeping records of all "off road only" bikes sold in the state as well, but probably not from every other state. Good luck... a little effort, but not as hard as re mounting a motor in a different frame! :ride:

• Kyron

Posted August 06, 2007 - 05:59 AM

Just move........

Naw, Az is full. But why dont you just keep it regestered out of state and claim to be a snowbird??

**or what about a KTM?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR650L_Dave

Posted August 06, 2007 - 07:51 AM

You might end up with a bike with enough oomph to twist-o-flex the frame a bit.

Dave

• jetfuel

Posted August 06, 2007 - 08:37 AM

I see noisy ,chrome encrusted , nib knob covered, custom choppers almost everyday with idiots in sandals and shorts but thats OK for some reason :excuseme: ... But your screwed if you want to plate your factory built bike upgraded to d.o.t. lighting ... its just not fair ... I guess if you could take your bike to someplace like OCC maybe you could get chrome valve caps and a porky pig sticker then call it the " violent swine " or something and then it would be acceptable :bonk: ... I guess I'll just go orange..

• martinfan30

Posted August 06, 2007 - 08:59 AM

I see noisy ,chrome encrusted , nib knob covered, custom choppers almost everyday with idiots in sandals and shorts but thats OK for some reason :excuseme: ... But your screwed if you want to plate your factory built bike upgraded to d.o.t. lighting ... its just not fair ... I guess if you could take your bike to someplace like OCC maybe you could get chrome valve caps and a porky pig sticker then call it the " violent swine " or something and then it would be acceptable :bonk: ... I guess I'll just go orange..

you pretty much summed it up! double standards rule our world.

• flux 450x

Posted August 08, 2007 - 05:45 PM

well.. even thou the motor swap might be fun...
what i really want is a dirt bike motard for the street....
like my crf450X.....
so..... orange it is....:applause: :ride: :worthy: :thumbsup:
im thinken 08 EXC 530R swiched to motard tires......
my crf was the most fun ive ever had on a bike:eek:

• Frank ZX

Posted March 19, 2008 - 02:38 PM

I see this forum is a lttle old.AS you most know I traded my XR650L for a XR650R.I want to ride it on the street some,but after checking the local tax commisioner,They say you can't tag a off road bike.I went as far as buying a frame with a title from Keepitroosting.com.I thought it would come with a good title,but the title say's"off road only".Now I don't know what to do?I can't afford a new KTM,and I really love my XRR,so the only thing I know to do is buy a basket case XR650L and put my XRR engine in it,or swap vin's.lol
This is the most stupid law I have ever seen!I'm willing to make my bike as streetable as any production bike,and can't even ride it on the street.I have no problems welding gussets on the XRL frame to keep it from flexing.Has anyone heard of this being done yet?

• hondacrf150f1

Posted March 19, 2008 - 02:46 PM

im thinken 08 EXC 530R swiched to motard tires......
my crf was the most fun ive ever had on a bike:eek:

The EXC + wheels and brakes will cost ya 10 grand....why not just get a SMR and plate it and put a light kit on it for under 7 grand:excuseme:

• Norge

Posted March 19, 2008 - 02:52 PM

ok...
:

Why? Doing the swap would de-value the 'L'. :confused:

• cleonard

Posted March 19, 2008 - 02:53 PM

I'm willing to make my bike as streetable as any production bike,and can't even ride it on the street.

How are you going to get it smog tested to show that it meets the federal standards for an on-road bike? That's the problem. It's not the trun signals or anything else.

There may be another way however. If you weld on the frame enough to make it no longer a Honda, you might be able to go the special construction route. Basically it has to be a frame that you make that doesn't have a VIN number. I'd also remove anything that says Honda from the bike. As part of the special construction title/registration a new VIN number will get added to your frame.

That head tube needed a bead run down it and then ground smooth, right? Only for structural purposes of course. That frame you made is sure a close copy of a Honda 650R frame. Good work.

• Frank ZX

Posted March 19, 2008 - 03:22 PM

Icat makes a spark modifier thingy.They claim it reduces emissions or in some cases eliminate emissions(I don't beleive that),but anyway I do understand they try to reduce emissions,but my little XRR puts out less emissions than alot of vehicles.I also thought about the custom bike route,even looked at the application.They want to know what the engine came from,or a custom engine MSO.There is some stuff I don't understand about there web page.I searched Georgia tax commisoner,can anyone find any loopholes?

• Frank ZX

Posted March 19, 2008 - 03:27 PM

It may be worth buying a TIG welder to run a bead down the head tube,
for structural purposes of course.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.