KTM Power Valve Adjustment??

19 replies to this topic
  • Hydroman

Posted 05 August 2007 - 08:55 AM

Can someone tell me which way to adjust the KTM power valve to lessen the "Hit" at 1/4 throttle and give a smoother power delivery?

I opened the sight hole on the left side of the cylinder and moved the adjuster bar down, by turning the power valve adjuster clockwise (in), about 1/2 turn. This put the adjuster bar in approximately the middle of the two other reference marks. The stock position was just below the top refrence bar and there didn't seem to be much, if any, pressure on the adjuster..

Thanks
MG
2002 KTM 200 EXC

• wheels2

Posted 05 August 2007 - 02:02 PM

Leave the big nut off of the adjuster, and ride it down the road a little. Turn the adjuster and try again. You'll feel it when it feels right for you, and you'll notice it pretty quick. Don't forget to loosen the 8mm in the 4:00 position each time you adjust it.

• Mike in Fresno

Posted 05 August 2007 - 02:40 PM

move the bar up to make the hit later which makes it not so strong. See my method in the sticky "to the mod"

• superslyko

Posted 05 August 2007 - 10:48 PM

Wow! :eek: Different bikes have different adjustments. The 200 is different from the 300. Years are different too.

When you loosen those bolts to adjust the screw. Crankcase oil will leak out. Do not ride with those bolts loose.

If you back the screw out - counterclockwise - the powerband hits earlier in the rpm range. Tighten the screw, -clockwise - and the hit comes on later.

The older bikes just had the screw adjustment. The newer bikes have 3 different springs for the powervalve. :bonk:

• ibdivn

Posted 06 August 2007 - 05:15 AM

There are red,green and yellow spring avail,I belive yellow is stock

• Mike in Fresno

Posted 06 August 2007 - 05:33 AM

On the 200 no oil leaks out and no springs. Scot are you refering to oil on a 250/300??

• Hydroman

Posted 06 August 2007 - 02:03 PM

Thanks Superslyko,
As you can see I've seen some conflicting information on this but your description makes the most sense to me. By turing the adjuster screw clockwise (in) your placing more pressure on the spring, which I figure will cause the valve to open later, and lessen that "Hit".. (Also my bike was set almost at the top from factory (langston setting) and "Hits" pretty soon in RPM range.. I don't think it had much if any counterclockwise adjustment left. . No sure there was even any pressure on the spring at that stock setting..just the slack taken up.)
MG

• superslyko

Posted 06 August 2007 - 03:37 PM

Mike knows his sh!t. This ain't the 1st time he's corrected me. Different bikes = different adjustments. I owe you a beer. :prof:

I know nothing about the 200 other than I can pick it up & throw it around. I could actually hold it in place while twisting the throttle.

That said, I saw one fella put a foot down, and pivot the bike 180 degrees in the air, under power, on a cliff/switchback. :eek:

• Mike in Fresno

Posted 06 August 2007 - 04:26 PM

stock position is usually lower than what you describe as stock. I see your bike is older so Im guessing you didnt get it new and Im sure someone else has turned the screw on it before you. This being said, turn it in to make the hit later, this moves the bar up towards the top and the Langston setting is more toward the top. If it hit too soon for you with it that way then you will have to do other things to smooth it out. You can add a flywheel weight, jet it a little rich thru the range, add a smaller rear sprocket, or a throttle cam throttle. If you want to take the motor apart you can add a thicker base gasket to reduce the compression and change the port timing.

Tell us what you decide and what it does to your bike when you get to it.

• BrentL

Posted 07 August 2007 - 02:09 PM

listen to Mike..........trust me on this I can now keep my Pumpkin under me......Thanks Again Mike

• Shrewless

Posted 08 August 2007 - 01:18 AM

I don't mean to hijack this thread but it's kind of related. Where is the power valve spring located? I want to swap the yellow spring for the red one but I don't know where it is or how to do it. Any info would be appreciated.:excuseme:

• mjskier

Posted 08 August 2007 - 08:59 AM

I don't mean to hijack this thread but it's kind of related. Where is the power valve spring located? I want to swap the yellow spring for the red one but I don't know where it is or how to do it. Any info would be appreciated.:excuseme:

Should be in your user manual (at least on the 07)
If you don't have one, you can dowload a pdf from the ktmusa.com.
The difference from yellow to red is quite brutal. I love it but I might put a power curve switch on the handlebar in case traction is lacking...

Bruno.

• Mike in Fresno

Posted 09 August 2007 - 06:49 PM

I DONT HAVE A NEWER 250/300 SO iM NOT 100% SURE...I think the spring is under a cap on the right side that has 2 bolts and a raised center bump. In the center may be a screw device to adjust the spring tension. Hope it helps.

• Byte

Posted 23 August 2008 - 05:24 PM

Should be in your user manual (at least on the 07)
If you don't have one, you can dowload a pdf from the ktmusa.com.
The difference from yellow to red is quite brutal. I love it but I might put a power curve switch on the handlebar in case traction is lacking...

Bruno.

What is a power curve switch (Links)?

Byte

• Mike in Fresno

Posted 23 August 2008 - 07:17 PM

on the new bikes they have two ignition curve settings and use a switch on the bars to toggle between the two easily

• Matt Tiede

Posted 24 August 2008 - 09:32 AM

Some people still seem a little confused. Only the 250/300 uses springs that you can swap out. The 125/144/200 have a hug nut on the clutch side that you remove to reveal the part that adjusts the setting. For those with the 125/144/200 google or search for "langston setting" for info on how to adjust it.

• Mike in Fresno

Posted 25 August 2008 - 08:19 AM

just look at the FAQ on in this forum to see how to adjust it

• Supertrunk

Posted 25 August 2008 - 10:16 AM

Here's the power valve adjustment on the 200's:

Posted Image

And here's the "window" witht the referance marks and where I like to run mine:

Posted Image

Hope this helps...................

• George209

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:13 PM

um, my power valve isnt hitting at all, i have a 93 ktm exc, would that bike have a power valve adjuster? and could the actuater not even be pushing on my powervalve atm resulting in no powerband?? just rebuilt power valve and top end, still no powerband thats why i ask?? anyone know much about this older bike?

1993 ktm 3oo exc*

• Ricky7

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:12 PM

Here's the power valve adjustment on the 200's:

PVAdjustment.jpg

And here's the "window" with the reference marks and where I like to run mine:

PV5-10-08003.jpg

Hope this helps...................

Thank you Supertrunk! great pic's and simple  explanation. Is this for all 200's, I have a 2007. 

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.