'Weekend Warrior' Type Trailers - Advice/Recommendation

16 replies to this topic
  • Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted July 20, 2000 - 04:08 PM

I'm looking at purchasing a 'weekend warrior' type trailer - hauls the toys & has living accomodations - in the next 6 months. I drive a '00 Dodge 2500 4x4 w/Cummins & 6spd manual so gross trailer weight isn't too much of a concern. It's primary purpose will be for weekend (or longer?) trips w/bikes but I'd really like one that can handle my Jeep CJ-7. I don't plan on putting the bikes & the jeep into the trailer simultaneously. I don't want to go over a 30' box (~33' total length) & I don't want a 5th wheel.
Does anybody have any experience with these types of trailers? Recommended manufactures? Function will drive my decision - I want something that will last as long as my truck (okay, maybe this isn't possible). I don't want something that I have to worry about the cabinets coming off the walls or the frame not being up to the job.

thanks for the input,
Brian

• MotoGreg

Posted July 20, 2000 - 04:15 PM

I think "SoCalErik" has one, you can email him here...

eriksmobiledetailing@prodigy.net

------------------
MotoGreg - The voice of a new millennium
'99 WR400 - 'cause thumpers rule!
'92 GSXR 7/11 (But I wanna trade it for a dope 916)
You can visit my photo album for $1 - ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK

• So_Cal_Erik

Posted July 20, 2000 - 05:15 PM

I have a connection with the head sales manager at richardson's rv in riverside Ca,
and can get you a better price than anyone.
I've helped out several people and saved them from getting ripped off. As far as quality goes the Warrior has the reputation
for being the highest, and highest priced in the biz. Others have made CHEAP imitations so beware! I personally spent about 4 months checking out all the other brands (as far as toy hauler types go) and ended up buying a Thor Wanderer
and have been totally happy. The thor had fit and finish and options far better than the rest, and equal with the warrior. for the same sized trailer the Thor is at least
4-5,000 dollars cheaper,and your money would definately be better spent elsewhere. just my 2 cents worth . The only thing that concerns me is you are gonna put a big vehicle inside, and you might think about
looking into a steel framed custom trailer
but those arent cheep! well if you need any help let me know I'll be glad to assist in any way.

------------------
So Cal Erik
Visit my club's site at <A HREF="http://www.ruts.org
" TARGET=_blank>www.ruts.org
</A>

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted July 20, 2000 - 05:16 PM

Brian, I have the Fleetwood 24ft Sport Utility Trailer for
my bikes and Sandcar and love it.. I currently have
the type with a bunk in the back, which limits what you
can put inside as far as height. There are trailers without the bunk bed, which would allow you to put
the jeep inside. As far as manufacturers, I think if you
are looking for quality, you should look at the 'Weekend
Warriors' or the Fleetwood trailers. I know that Fleetwood makes a 24ft and 26ft TT that should allow
you to put the jeep inside. I am not sue where you are at, but if you are in the Socal area, let me know and I
can point you in the direction of some good dealers..

Mike P

• So_Cal_Erik

Posted July 20, 2000 - 06:02 PM

Brian, where do you live? if you live in So Cal I would suggest maybe Thompsons RV. or Richardsons. I know Richardsons carries several makes: Thor, Fleetwood, and forest river(which is sold under other brand names
and I would steer you away from the purchase of this brand if possible regardless if I of
fend any one who may have one on this site)
You would be good to look at the fleetwood and thor brands and ask several different dealers that carry both the Thor and Fleetwood brands which one they think is better quality and then ask as many questions as possible. as far as the thor goes , they have gone after the warrior market and have several patented features that have caused sort of a (competition) between each other with the likes of their steel mechanical folding bench seat/beds ,
the other makes still have the old clums
ey wood ones, then Warrior retaliated and came out with steel mechanical fold up loft beds. I think this is good because it up's the ante with each new model year . anyway,
the rabbit trail is getting long here,
good luck,

------------------
So Cal Erik
</A>

• John_in_Long_Beach

Posted July 20, 2000 - 06:41 PM

If you live on So Cal you may consider "Mighty Mover" formally Dico trailers.

If I where to purchase a trailer I would consider one of these. I was looking at enclosed trailers and was going to purchase one of these until I went the cheap way and just got a 3 rail job. Good looking, nice quality construction.

You custom order your unit and they will have it built in about 2-4 weeks. Anysize any number of axles, so you can get something that meets your spec.

They basically have different sizes from which to start and then each modification is an option which has a price to it.

Kind of fun to pick and choose.

There is a factory locally, but I had stopped by a cheasy little showroom they had off the 91 just west of the 15 on the north side, just east of some motorcycle dealer.

Maybe a side ramp style door so you can get your bikes in from the side, while you drive your jeep in from the rear.

They are located in or around the city of Corona, I believe.

John

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted July 20, 2000 - 09:12 PM

Great input so far.....
I'm from Long Beach but I just moved to Santa Rosa - up here in wine country. I'm probably going to buy used so if you know anybody looking to get rid of one let me know. Able to carry the Jeep is a wish - if I can get it great, if not oh, well.
I checked Weekend Warriors website and they claim a payload capacity of 6000 lbs - enough to handle the Jeep, I just don't know about the height.
I'm serious about letting me know of a used one for sale - I'd come to So Cal for the right trailer.

Thanks,
brian

• So_Cal_Erik

Posted July 21, 2000 - 05:24 PM

I've also seen the mighty mover place off the 91 freeway, I think it's off of the lincoln exit. I have not seen any trailers at that location in a few weeks though, now it looks like theres a spa retailer there.
Mighty mover does make a quality trailer if you just want a bare bones down to business
vehicle hauler, but if you want full amenities (microwave,shower,tub,fridge,freezer,ac,etc....) the other style toy haulers are the ticket. Also, used toy haulers that are worth a darn usually are about the same price as what I can get you a new one for.
Also, you can finance a new one(if you have decent credit)and write it off as a second home! Better to pay for a toy than pay uncle sam!

------------------
So Cal Erik
</A>

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mike

Posted July 23, 2000 - 05:09 PM

Brian,

If you buy a trailer you won't have to worry about being outbidded on a home in Santa Rosa and be able to ride Stoneyford more often. :)

Probably be a lot cheaper as well!!!!!

Still on for next Sunday the 30TH?

Mike

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted July 23, 2000 - 09:47 PM

Gotta be honest - I'm catching hell from the wife on this one. Because of going riding next Sunday (30th) we won't see each other for 4 weeks. I'm gonna have to suck up on this one.....

The bike is torn apart - Guts tall foam/cover, heavier shock spring, de-octopus, grease swing arm linkage, maybe even change out the fork springs to the heavier ones. It'll all be done by Saturday - I promise.

I'm thinking about driving to Dunnigan on Saturday night and getting a cheap hotel room so I don't have to get up at 4:30 am in order to meet you guys at 7:00 am. Any recommendations on a hotel? What's in Dunnigan?

Brian

• Mike

Posted July 24, 2000 - 01:26 PM

Dunnigan huh. Had to look at a map to see where this place was. Can't help you with that info. You would be better off staying in Woodland, then going up I5. Only about 20 to 30 minutes from Woodland to Bill and Kathy's at 7am. Bill and Kathy's creeps up on you so watch on the East side of I5. My cell is 916-622-3385 if you need to call.
Good luck putting the bike back together.

Mike

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted August 01, 2000 - 04:26 PM

Originally posted by Mike:
Dunnigan huh. Had to look at a map to see where this place was. Can't help you with that info. You would be better off staying in Woodland, then going up I5. Only about 20 to 30 minutes from Woodland to Bill and Kathy's at 7am. Bill and Kathy's creeps up on you so watch on the East side of I5. My cell is 916-622-3385 if you need to call.
Good luck putting the bike back together.

Mike

I am considering a toybox trailer also. My observations:
Thor Wanderer: heavy duty, well built, good value, 5-1/2 foot clearance inside back door unless you order without loft bed.
Fleetwood: not nearly as well built, lighter frame, lower payload, but great service options and well appointed.
Dunes: seem very well built, high payload, heavy frame, well appointed and comfortable for the wife. Not many service locations, but full 6 foot clearance at back door for your jeep and it has an additional front bed in the 26 footer.
Dan

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted August 01, 2000 - 09:53 PM

Dan Clark,
I have a couple of friends that have the Dunes trailers and have not had good results. The weights were way off from what Dunes quoted & very poor workmanship/quality control. I believe that one of the guys has had to threaten legal action in order to get some of the problems fixed.

I don't know all the particulars but based on their adamant recommendations AGAINST Dunes I will be avoiding them.

Brian

• So_Cal_Erik

Posted August 02, 2000 - 03:41 PM

As I have mentioned in a previous post, the forest river brand toy haulers are cheap, but very poor quality, the trailers are sold under different brand names such as DUNES,or other names. Be CAREFUL, ALWAYS check out who the manufacturer is . Your best bet is probably Thor, they also make the tahoe , which is the same as the wanderer, just with different interior colors.

------------------
So Cal Erik
</A>

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted August 03, 2000 - 02:55 PM

Originally posted by So Cal Erik:
As I have mentioned in a previous post, the forest river brand toy haulers are cheap, but very poor quality, the trailers are sold under different brand names such as DUNES,or other names. Be CAREFUL, ALWAYS check out who the manufacturer is . Your best bet is probably Thor, they also make the tahoe , which is the same as the wanderer, just with different interior colors.

Thanks for the insight. I was not aware that Dunes was actually Forest River. Maybe time to reconsider that Thor unit. I was impressed by everything in the Thor except the lack of a front bed in 24 footer.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted August 03, 2000 - 03:02 PM

Originally posted by So Cal Erik:

Erik, I know some of the RUTS guys ride the TWMC Ghost Rider every year. If you're one of those guys, look me up. We belong to TWMC and will definitely be out there in October.
Dan

• So_Cal_Erik

Posted August 03, 2000 - 05:33 PM

Dan, I must be spacing out, but what club is twmc? If theyre having a race in October I'll try to make it. As for the front bed set up, Warrior has several front bed options
it's a shame though, they are just so expensive. If money were no object, I would have gotten the warrior. If you need a great deal on another brand I'd be glad to help.

------------------
So Cal Erik
</A>

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.