Hard to find parts? XR650L

28 replies to this topic
  • wheelnut46

Posted August 04, 2007 - 07:32 PM

There are a couple of things that I want to add to my bike but I can't find them anywhere. Sure they might be shown on a website but that doesn't mean I can actually get them.

1. Frame guards - to protect the frame/paint on the sides near where the passenger pegs would be. Made for XR600 but cant find them anywhere. Have looked on websites, asked in stores etc.

2. Disk cover/fork guards. Ordered Acerbis one from BikeBandit last week because it was listed on the website as available for XR600 but it turns out it is unavailable.
:smashpc:

Does anyone know FOR SURE where I can get these items (new)?

• Nailpounder

Posted August 04, 2007 - 07:57 PM

I have the works connection frame protectors on my XR650R, have you tried them?

• wheelnut46

Posted August 04, 2007 - 07:59 PM

Those are the ones I was looking for.
Can't find them anywhere for XR650L / XR600.

• Sum Ting Wong

Posted August 04, 2007 - 09:49 PM

I called Acerbis (and several other manufacturers) about these very items.
The consensus was they are no longer made. I've seen the fork guards pop up on Ebay occasionally, but they go for more than $100 bones.

• motometal

Posted August 05, 2007 - 05:06 AM

for that price, you could probably take your chances on the forks. Is this for protection against rocks, or branches or?

I've found that on the disc guards, they do very little to protect against bending the discs, and since the discs are steel they don't really get scratched up (but then I don't live in rock country)

• lhark

Posted August 05, 2007 - 08:31 AM

I have the Works Connection ones, that were set up for XR 600. All I had to do was drill holes where the passenger peg mounts are on the XR650L.
This came up on an earlier thread, and I was informed they were no longer made. Maybe someone else has XR600 ones that you can modify. I have the Acerbis disc guard, too. Maier is still making them for the XR600, the last I looked. They may be compatible with 650L's. I still don't understand the manufacturers out there.....Every year there's more and more XR650L's being sold, and there appears to be less and less things available for them.....

• Valerie Wilson

Posted August 05, 2007 - 08:53 AM

Here are you frame guards and they are in stock, I checked for you. http://shop.thumpert...fault.asp?p=610

The only front disc guards I was able to find are Mair's and they are for the 600. I don't know if they are the same and will fit.
http://shop.thumpert...t.asp?p=641&s=2

I checked stock for you and we have one of those left. It looks like they discontinued those too.

Shoot the TT Store an email so we can research and see what we can find. We have other sources than just the 3 main distributers that we get parts from. If its out there we usually can get it!!!!

If I could do it now for you I would but I don't have the resources here at home to do it and not to mention everyone is closed on sundays. :)

• jeanluconze

Posted August 05, 2007 - 09:57 AM

Here are you frame guards and they are in stock, I checked for you. http://shop.thumpert...fault.asp?p=610

The only front disc guards I was able to find are Mair's and they are for the 600. I don't know if they are the same and will fit.
http://shop.thumpert...t.asp?p=641&s=2

I checked stock for you and we have one of those left. It looks like they discontinued those too.

Shoot the TT Store an email so we can research and see what we can find. We have other sources than just the 3 main distributers that we get parts from. If its out there we usually can get it!!!!

If I could do it now for you I would but I don't have the resources here at home to do it and not to mention everyone is closed on sundays. :)

Are you sure? I've also been looking for the WorksConnection frame guards (for XR 600, to fit my 650L). When you enter the catalog number it says the part doesn't exist. If you do have some, please let me know how to order a pair ASAP.

• axarob44

Posted August 05, 2007 - 04:14 PM

I know what your saying about the parts. I got out of bikes for about 10 years, I come back and nobody is making the XRL parts anymore. Am I right to remember that White Bors. actually sold to us mere mortals back then? I remember I had one of their catalogs in the late 90's and they made a bunch of hi-perf parts for the 650L. Now it seems they have very little for the L any more. I guess thats because the 600R and 650L being so close. Kinda sucks.

• Valerie Wilson

Posted August 05, 2007 - 07:43 PM

You' re right. I put in the frame guards for the XR650R when I checked stock. Those are the ones we have.

The XR600R ones are discontinued and no longer available. Sorry :(

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • HeadTrauma

Posted August 05, 2007 - 10:02 PM

Dang, I'm suddenly glad I got my 600 with the Works frame guards already on it. :blah:

• jeanluconze

Posted August 06, 2007 - 07:47 AM

I called Works Connection a while back and told them that there were tons of 650L/600 guys wanting the frame guards. They guy said he would pass on my request to the execs. I'm sure they still have the machinery and CAD design all set up to start spitting these out again. Can some of you other 650L/600 guys could call them up too? Maybe we can get the TT store to do some sort of group buy, maybe that would get WC's attention?

• CTXr650L

Posted August 06, 2007 - 01:24 PM

i have a set of the UFO plastic frame guards on my 650L. they are the ones for the xr600 modded to fit.

mod requires drilling a hole in the left side one so the footpeg mounting boss can pass through. right side required a little trimming on the bottom, total time to mod both around 5 mins...

i just got them may of this year, they were on backorder for some time prior to that. oh, they only come in white.

UFO part # 12-488-29

good luck :thumbsup:

• wheelnut46

Posted September 01, 2007 - 06:47 PM

I got the works connection frame guards and the Maier disk/fork guards.
I ordered them last week from Chaparral racing.
http://www.chaparral-racing.com

I still cant ride worth a darn but the bike is looking GOOD!
:thumbsup:

• dirtflea

Posted September 02, 2007 - 03:09 PM

Whatever you do, don't break a footpeg or kickstand. I did and I had to apy the price. There is no aftermarket available, I paid over $80 bucks for one freaking foot peg, it wasn't even a pair. I feel like I have been raped every time I buy parts for that bike. However, it is rare it needs parts, and like the energizer bunny, it keeps going and going..................................

• wheelnut46

Posted September 02, 2007 - 03:53 PM

Wider, after-market foot-pegs are on my short list of "must-do" mods.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted September 02, 2007 - 06:13 PM

Whatever you do, don't break a footpeg or kickstand. I did and I had to apy the price. There is no aftermarket available, I paid over $80 bucks for one freaking foot peg, it wasn't even a pair. I feel like I have been raped every time I buy parts for that bike. However, it is rare it needs parts, and like the energizer bunny, it keeps going and going..................................

Aftermarket foot-pegs are avail., so I assume you broke the right-side peg mount?

Or do I need to go ebay my spare pegs for other mod money?

Dave

• HeadTrauma

Posted September 02, 2007 - 07:27 PM

Dang, I have some aftermarket pegs on my bike too.... Maybe I should just part the whole thing out! :thumbsup:

• dirtflea

Posted September 03, 2007 - 04:55 PM

Aftermarket foot-pegs are avail., so I assume you broke the right-side peg mount?

Or do I need to go ebay my spare pegs for other mod money?

Dave

It was the left foot peg, I basically tore it off the bike and bent the shifter beyond recognition. The kick stand looked like it was trying to signal a left hand turn. It took three months for the broken bones in my foot to heal up and the skin and flesh to grow back over my elbow. I asked the doctor to stitch up my elbow when he finished with Mr. Foot, the foot peg went through my boot and attempted to take some bone with it. The doctor laughed at me, "what do you want me to stitch up, there isn't anything there", it will grow back in time". Anyway, both local dealerships told me that ther was no aftermarket pegs for that bike, OEM only and they would be hard to find as well as expensive. Apparently the pegs are made out of some odd alloy called "unobtanium", strong as titanium with only a 10th of the wieght.

• HeadTrauma

Posted September 03, 2007 - 05:54 PM

I just checked IMS's site and they list footpegs for all kinds of XR models...600, 650L, and 650R included.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.