skid plate

15 replies to this topic
  • ricky1

Posted August 01, 2000 - 06:31 AM

Hi all,
I need to get a skid plate, if that is the right term, for my 426. Any reccomendations? I have seen the ones (pictures) that look like a piece of tubing that sticks out the sides. Maybe a Scott Summers product? I am looking for the best protection for my engine/sidecovers.

Thanks,

------------------
Rick Fuller
'00 YZ426
'81 490 Maico

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted August 01, 2000 - 08:03 AM

I think mine is from MSR - fully covers the bottom of the engine/frame tubes & the generator & water pump housings. Some of the guys run the carbon fiber skid plate from E-Line and report good results.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted August 01, 2000 - 08:09 AM

I also think MSR is the best and has the best coverage for a skid plate. You wont be dissapointed if you get it.

If you want an idea of what it looks like on the bike go to the third page in the "pictures" section of this site, and look for "Darin in Missouri". There are pictures of my bike from each side.

------------------
Darin from Missouri 1999 WR400F

[This message has been edited by milkman2544 (edited 08-01-2000).]

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted August 01, 2000 - 08:14 AM

Glide plates look good on the factory mx bikes. A smashed water pump wouldn't look so good on my bike. Get a full coverage skid plate, i.e. MSR or equivelent.

------------------
99 WR, all YZ mods, de-octopused, OEM YZ tank and IMS seat, jetting by Clark, got forked by Pro Action, WAITING IMPATIENTLY FOR MOAB!!
AMA, NETRA

• ricky1

Posted August 01, 2000 - 12:13 PM

Thanks for the info. I went to the pictures page, but could not figure out how to get to additional pages.

------------------
Rick Fuller
'00 YZ426
'81 490 Maico

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted August 01, 2000 - 04:04 PM

Originally posted by ricky1:
Thanks for the info. I went to the pictures page, but could not figure out how to get to additional pages.

MSR is great, so is White Bros. I have a WB, and it's definitely up to the task. Especially if you ride in rocks often.
Dan

• Bryan Bosch

Posted August 01, 2000 - 04:34 PM

I can't say anything about the MSR howwever, the last skid plate I bought from WB sucked. Not because it didn't provide great protection, but because I have to modify the hell out of it to make it fit. Lots of cutting and grinding. I know that many times, this is par for the course when it comes to aftermarket stuff. Can anyone comment on the installation of the MSR? What about the Devol or Moose Racing?

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted August 01, 2000 - 05:57 PM

I think the Moose Plate and the MSR plate are almost identical. As far as installation goes it was absolutley no problem. It was just 3 steel hooks and a bolt in the frame.

Ricky, try again and look at the top of the pictures page. It should say "next page" or something like that. Go to the 3rd page.

------------------

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted August 01, 2000 - 09:47 PM

The installation of the MSR skid plate on my '99 WR was pretty straight forward. The clamps were/are a little difficult to align with the holes in the skid plate but not anything a little bit of patience didn't solve. The mounting bolt that goes in the very back stock glide plate hole was the most difficult. I did not have to take a file to any of the mounting holes. Tightening the bolts did 'suck up' the skid plate to the frame.

Brian

• Matt_Porritt

Posted August 01, 2000 - 11:43 PM

I recieved an ELine carbon fire bashplate about a week or 2 ago.. yet to mount it up but it looks great+cool! :)

------------------
--
**Ride it like you Stole it!**
Matt Porritt
99 YZ400F
Vist the Rubber Chicken Racing Online Shop
Discounts for ThumperTalk members.

• Guest_Spudman_*

Posted August 02, 2000 - 06:23 AM

I also have the eline carbon fiber skid plate and love it. Looks very trick. This skid plate was discussed in this forum in the past which is why I went with it.

You may want to a search of past posts to get more information on previous skid plate discussions.

• Dougie

Posted August 02, 2000 - 07:24 AM

How does that carbon fiber skid plate hold up to a direct hit on a big unforgiving rock?

------------------
Dougie, '99 WR400
Mods: YZ timing, Race Tech Suspension, FMF PC IV, FMF Hi FLo Moto, YZ seat, IMS 3.3 tank, One Industries Graphics, Renthal bars, 14/52 gearing.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted August 02, 2000 - 08:51 AM

Good question Dougie. Thats what I was wondering. I was planing on getting one untill I started thinking about the rocks (or boulders) we ride over out here.

------------------

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted August 02, 2000 - 11:12 AM

I believe Clark Mason has posted his observations regarding the e-line cf skid plate - very positive from what I recall.

Brian

• ricky1

Posted August 02, 2000 - 01:07 PM

Thanks for the info guys. Thumper does not yet make rad guards for the 426, so I ordered the Devol, plus the MSR/Moose skid plate.

------------------
Rick Fuller
'00 YZ426
'81 490 Maico

• Matt_Porritt

Posted August 02, 2000 - 05:17 PM

The E-line plate is about 5-6mm thick.
Kevlar on the insode with a snadwich of ??? with carbon on the outside.
Really rigid with waterpump and ignition wings.

------------------
--
**Ride it like you Stole it!**
Matt Porritt
99 YZ400F
Vist the Rubber Chicken Racing Online Shop
Discounts for ThumperTalk members.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.