swing-arm pads

5 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted August 01, 2000 - 12:54 AM

Has anyone ever experienced or noticed when they have changed the swing-arm pad a gap between the pad and the actual swingarm right behind the front sprocket, its like the actual pad is to long for the swingarm. This might sound strange but could it be also responsible for sheering the teeth of the front sprocket as it may have come into contact with the pad as it went through its stroke.

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted August 01, 2000 - 02:45 AM

Splint,
Is your coutershaft sprocket the OEM sprocket, (13 teeth?)?

• Hick

Posted August 01, 2000 - 10:40 AM

Splint,

When looking for a new swing arm pad/protector I noticed that the PNs were different from 98-99 to 2000. Part itself looks diff. too, but only in area in FRONT of arm, where you are talking about clearance problems. If you are having this problem I would double check the PN.

I doubt pad could hurt countershaft sprocket, damage would be inflicted in other direction (sprocket to pad).

I trashed my stock guard in a hurry (partly due to welds protruding too high on top of arm) and bought a T.M. or TerryCable Chain Slider. Makes a spooky noise but has worn 400% better than stock rubber one.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted August 01, 2000 - 03:12 PM

I don't know if anyone else does this but while racing MX in Pennsylvania, I took off the countershaft sprocket guard and rode without it. The reason was PA had lots of small rocks. The chain would pull the rocks between the sprocket and guard. To prevent breaking the guard, AND POSSIBLY DAMAGING THE ENGINE CASE, I removed the cover. This was actually quite common. I have taken off the Thumpers guard as well. I have never damaged my boot in any way from the spinning sprocket. Out of sight, out of mind and works like a champ.

• MotoGreg

Posted August 01, 2000 - 03:52 PM

Is your coutershaft sprocket the OEM sprocket, (13 teeth?)?

Say what? Stock is 14 isn't it?

Yep, mine has the gap there.

------------------
MotoGreg - The voice of a new millennium
'99 WR400 - 'cause thumpers rule!
'92 GSXR 7/11 (But I wanna trade it for a dope 916)
You can visit my photo album for $1 - ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK
Sportbike fans, join us at www.insanespeed.com

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted August 01, 2000 - 10:13 PM

sorry guys I dont know how to paste quotes into my answer so I'll just go through in order.
The sprocket that sheered was a fifthteen tooth(standard for oz ADR's) I have tried a 14 but I seemed to run out of gears when riding. I'll try the 14 again as I've got it there.
The countershaft guard was the first thing I ripped off when I purchased the bike, I only run the case-saver which was mounted underneath the guard.
I think I'll put it down as just one of those things, and see how I go this weekend.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.