The 08 quandary: To buy or not to buy...that is the question?

12 replies to this topic
  • bjn

Posted August 04, 2007 - 03:10 PM

I just read the first media published review on the 08 450 that I could find. Its a e-magazine available online only (I believe). They tested the european release of the 450 (no shorty exhaust). The review was very favorable, and different from some of the comments I've seen thus far. Of course everyone has agreed that the handling and turning are now superb. The reviewers, however, felt the motor improved in power compared to the 2007. They did not say there was more power down low, but said it is more responsive and has a more "racing characteristic." On the other hand, the said the kayaba forks are inferior to their showa counterparts. So what does this mean (to me anyway)? I almost bought the 08, then hesitated after hearing the motor is weak. Maybe its just the exhaust. So now I'm thinking about it again. Anyway, I can't mention the direct source, but if you do an internet search that includes motocross and digital in the parameters, you'll turn up something that you can download and read yourself. Make your own conclusions and maybe comment here.

• DPW

Posted August 04, 2007 - 03:54 PM

Anyway, I can't mention the direct source,.

why???

• bjn

Posted August 04, 2007 - 04:55 PM

why???

I'm not sure, thumpertalk has deleted it in previous posts (not mine). I figured I wouldn't even bother linking it as a result. Do the internet search above, and you'll turn up the digital motocross magazine web page.

• DPW

Posted August 04, 2007 - 05:12 PM

hmmm...weird they would delete it. I'm very familiar with the online mag you refer to...very cool and best of all free!

• DPW

Posted August 04, 2007 - 06:36 PM

I would probably ride an '08 before you make your decision. I have a buddy that picked up an '08 and said there is no problem with the motor...good power and it hooks up....oh and the handling makes the '06 feel like a tank. His skill level....I'm guessing is a fast intermediate.

• grayracer513

Posted August 04, 2007 - 07:33 PM

... the handling makes the '06 feel like a tank.

Where does that leave the '03?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • nap__kxf

Posted August 04, 2007 - 08:24 PM

Where does that leave the '03?

it leaves the 03 handling like a semi truck :crazy:

• Ga426owner

Posted August 05, 2007 - 10:44 AM

I still like my Tank and Semi Truck..............:thumbsup:

• DPW

Posted August 05, 2007 - 01:23 PM

LOL...I rode a 07 KX450F today and I like my tank better..of course it was only two laps on the green bike and it was set up more for CC and tight trails. I liked the motor though.

As far as the tank and semi track comments...I was just passing on what I was told about the '08 YZ450F....I have not rode one personally yet..;-)

• grayracer513

Posted August 05, 2007 - 03:39 PM

As far as the tank and semi track comments...I was just passing on what I was told about the '08 YZ450F....

We knew that.

But, I wonder what the guys on the CRF's and KXF's that I passed today think about having an old man turn inside of them on a steel framed semi? :smirk:

• Bakemono

Posted August 05, 2007 - 03:55 PM

If you are a serious racer, Id say the '08 would be worth upgrading to. Look how much better Langston has been doing since he started riding the '08.
Ive read some reviews that said the motor felt kind of weak, but they did say the power delivery was a lot smoother and that the engine produced good power of a wider rpm range than the other bikes and that the amount of power it was down is a very small amount.
If youve got the cash and want a new bike, Id say go for it. It seems like Yamaha has fixed all the little gripes that everyone had with the bikes in past years and are now as good as any other bike on the market.

• Wyatt

Posted August 05, 2007 - 03:59 PM

Its funny how some people cliam 450's have too much power and everyone should be forced to produce 350's, and then we hear reports that a certain 450 machine is too slow. Makes me laugh.

• matt116

Posted August 05, 2007 - 04:04 PM

I made the tank comment about the 06'. I was just exaggerating to make a point that the changes made a big difference. I never once complained about the 06' turning ability until I rode my 08' but my opinion doesn't really matter so all I can say is ride one yourself.
O-ya I have never tried to turn a tank or a semi, they might actually turn good.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450FX OR YZ450F by MESSMAKER

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  30 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Wilson the Blue Privateer by jetfuel

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  50 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.