Edelbrock Carb on a wr400?

6 replies to this topic
  • ffd480

Posted August 04, 2007 - 10:41 AM

Does any one out there run an Edelbrock Carb on a wr 400. I have a 99 Wr 400 that is in need of a new carb. I have found a good price on a edelbrock, $350. It is around $240 cheaper than an keihin $589. How do the two compare? Thanks

• creeky

Posted August 04, 2007 - 11:14 AM

I am running an older Edelbrock non-pumper on my '00 WR400. I swapped not because the stock carb was worn out, but because I like the simplicity of the Eddy as compared to the Keihin. Jetting issues are eliminated, starts easier, gets better gas mileage, adjusts for altitude in just a minute. The only difference that I can tell in performance is that the power delivery is more linear, pulls good and steady from idle all the way up. I thought that eliminating the TSP might be an issue, but that did'nt seem to make any noticeable difference.

• ncampion

Posted August 05, 2007 - 07:44 AM

I also have an Edelbrock (pumper) on my '98 WR400 and like it much better than the Keihin. No jetting and easy to adjust. I seem to get a little worse mileage, but hard to tell. I used to go on reserve around 90 miles and now it's more like 80. Maybe tuning or riding conditions. Overall, it's a much better carb.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Chas_M

Posted August 05, 2007 - 09:14 AM

If the Edelbrock carb is better than the Keihin FCR pumper carb, it must be one 'heck-of-a' carb, especially so since 'jetting issues are eliminated' and 'no jetting and easy to adjust'!

• creeky

Posted August 05, 2007 - 10:27 AM

I wouldn't go as far as to say the Edelbrock is better performancewise, but it is easier to deal with. These days I'm just a recreational trail rider and the less hassle the better.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted August 05, 2007 - 11:32 AM

You should check out ebay for carburetors, I found mine for around $200 barely used not too long ago. On my old Carb I tightend the top cover too tight with an allen wrench and broke the tab off the carb body. good luck

• DanyR1

Posted August 05, 2007 - 06:36 PM

Go for it man this is the best carb. I haved the same probleme on my wr400 1998 and everything go well now I love my bike, start first kick hot or cold.....

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.