the aftermarket........

7 replies to this topic
  • flux 450x

Posted August 04, 2007 - 08:36 AM

thinking about getting a used XR650L and building the motor.... my ? is who out there has done this?? ive rode a stock one and theres just not enough there... ive built alot of 4 strokes but never a air cooled 650...
so.. who are the aftermarket parts supplyers for these things?? and whats the max over bore you can go, stroker cranks? best cam or custom grinds you have tryed? valve size? head porting? light high comp. piston? carbs???
ing. box mods?????
i guess what im looking for is the max you can go on these and what were your results.....:worthy:
looking forward to hearing form you guys:thumbsup:
thanx......:ride:

• HeadTrauma

Posted August 04, 2007 - 01:51 PM

The 650L is already a bored and stroked 600, just with lower compression.

The stock bore is 100mm and the largest pistons I've seen are 103. That will take the 650L out to 683cc. I haven't built a timebomb XR engine, so I'll let someone chime in who has.

• philipstjohn

Posted August 04, 2007 - 03:50 PM

thinking about getting a used XR650L and building the motor.... my ? is who out there has done this?? ive rode a stock one and theres just not enough there... ive built alot of 4 strokes but never a air cooled 650...
so.. who are the aftermarket parts supplyers for these things?? and whats the max over bore you can go, stroker cranks? best cam or custom grinds you have tryed? valve size? head porting? light high comp. piston? carbs???
ing. box mods?????
i guess what im looking for is the max you can go on these and what were your results.....:worthy:
looking forward to hearing form you guys:thumbsup:
thanx......:ride:

So many have done everything you could think of with this motor since its early days... and that is a long time ago!... do a search and you will find lots of info...
or just buy an XR650R and forget about it... :p :ride: :thumbsup:

• dlls_koe

Posted August 04, 2007 - 05:50 PM

i have a 675 bore kit from www.thumperracing.com
and i have a 14-48 sproket and i love it next i need a carb

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Denn10

Posted August 04, 2007 - 08:35 PM

theres some good info also on a 10.5-1 comp piston and cam upgrade that ive seen a few that have done also, with that and a pumper carb im sure its awesome check that out

• flux 450x

Posted August 04, 2007 - 08:58 PM

thanx for the info...
i checked out thumper racing, nice site....i also like the 660 build with the head porting,cam, etc. i also checked out web cams site, anybody try there
213/202 grind???? XRs omly has a nice site with some cool parts:thumbsup: to.....

• xr500_89

Posted August 05, 2007 - 06:12 PM

check out the bike in my garage ive done quite a bit to it

• truck6driver

Posted August 05, 2007 - 07:33 PM

Mine was in the 670 range. I kept the compression close to stock since I had heard of over heating problems with the high compression pistons. Did the port job on the head and switched to Kibble White valves and guides. I did notice, after the motor was built, it felt like the engine had more to give. I think a larger carb would have been the answer but wife's medical condition made it financially impossible to keep the bike. I guess I will never know what I could have gotten out of it if I kept going. I ran great though.

RH

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  186 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.