clockwise or anti-clockwise?

6 replies to this topic
  • Henry

Posted July 27, 2000 - 05:58 PM

Hi guys, wanted to remove the top cap of from my fork. I got a 17mm wrench the hold just below the the cap, but the 19mm socket just can't loosen.
Which is the correct direction to loosen?
I'm afraid to over tightened it with the wrong direction.
:)

------------------

• Henry

Posted July 27, 2000 - 06:13 PM

opps

------------------
'98 WR400F, YZ timed, main:180, pilot:48, DVR needle $th clip from top,
snorkel removed, YZ tank/seat combo, YZ front no.plate/rear fender,
DSP Ti exhaust system, Brembo front brake, EZ clutch adjust perch,
Stroker billet rear brake reservoir

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted July 27, 2000 - 06:35 PM

To loosen the fork cap from the damper rod you must turn the 17 mm lock nut that is below the cap clockwise while holding the 19 mm fork cap with a socket. Once the lock nut is loose you can unscrew the fork cap counter clockwise to remove it from the damper rod.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted July 28, 2000 - 02:38 AM

A navy saying: Righty-tighty; left-loosey. So far the only counter-clockwise-to-tighten stuff I normally see is aceteline fittings or LP gas bottle fittings.
On your bike, it is ALWAYS clockwise to tighten.
You are trying to remove the cap from the top of the fork leg itself, correct? If you are not doing it this way, it is best to keep the fork snugged in the triple clamps to loosen the fork cap.

After re-reading your message, you are trying to separate the cap from the upper portion of your damper rod...Is this correct?

No matter between the two, tighten is always clockwise.

Also, to break this free, keep the two wrenches semi parallel. If you have the wrenches 180 degrees out (wrenches pointing away from each other) you cannot get the leverage, and it is fairly awkward. Keep the wrench angle to a shallow "V", i.e. an acute angle.

[This message has been edited by Kevin in New Hampshire (edited 07-28-2000).]

• CraigW

Posted July 30, 2000 - 10:45 PM

If the forks are still in the top triple clamps make sure you have loosened the triple clamp bolts otherwise these will tend to lock the fork cap in its threads.

Keep the lower clamp bolts tight as this will prevent the forks from rotating.

• Matt_Porritt

Posted July 31, 2000 - 08:53 PM

Yeah 99.99% of the stuff on the bike is right hand.. I think the fly wheel may be l/hand???

The only l/hand stuff I ever deal with is acetylene bottles and centrifuge purifiers on the ship.. they're all l/hand.. (and spinning at 10,000 rpm/min!)

------------------
--
**Ride it like you Stole it!**
Matt Porritt
99 YZ400F
Vist the Rubber Chicken Racing Online Shop
Discounts for ThumperTalk members.

• Henry

Posted August 01, 2000 - 01:21 AM

Hi Kevin, you are right! :)
I was referring to the fork cap only.
Thank for enlightening. :D
So when can I have the T-shirt?
hahaa, suddenly out of topic.
But you guys are indeed a great bunch of
people I can say!!!
nice to meet you Kevin! :D

------------------
'98 WR400F, YZ timed, main:180, pilot:48, DVR needle 4th clip from top,
snorkel removed, YZ tank/seat combo, YZ front no.plate/rear fender,
DSP Ti exhaust system, Brembo front brake,steel braided hose, EZ clutch adjust perch,
Stroker billet rear brake reservoir

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.