YZ & WR USED STOCK AND AFTERMARKET PARTS

37 replies to this topic
  • Clark_Mason

Posted July 28, 2000 - 07:32 AM

Bryan Bosch et al

I visited Stroker in Hisperia and looked at their headers and went with their Rev header since it fit without gaskets or spaces. I also looked at their torque header at the time. The Rev header and the Stroker trail section proved what I would call disapointing bottom end but ok mid and top. I ran the Stroker with the stock WR header and was not impressed at all.

When I finally got my FMF PowerBomb header it change not only the Stroker performance but also the FMF PC IV-2 made them both work much better and really woke up the bottom and mid range with both tail secitons. The Sroker SX-1 SA is quieter than the FMF PC IV-2 SA.

Back to the headers the FMF Power Bomb was also reported by the mags as "really wakeing up the PC IV-2" which confirms my results. The FMF PowerBomb construction and fit and finish are exceptional especially when compared to the Stroker header. FMF is all stanless steel, Stroker is a pipe with ceramic coating but not stanless steel--FMF better Flange just quality in all the welds and construction and it works. I feel the FMF PowerBomb header is quieter and is definately one of the best products I have ever tested.

I did not run with the Stroker Torque header but cannot imagine it out performing the PowerBomb. Even if the Stroker Torque header matched the PB in performance the FMF is better made, looks better, I feel its quieter and is in my humble opinion a better product that costs a few bucks more. Guys on this web site are finding the PowerBomb for under $170 US--not bad for the quality you are getting.

My 2 cents worth

Clark

• Bryan Bosch

Posted July 28, 2000 - 08:29 AM

Thanks Clark. I'm convinced.

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted July 28, 2000 - 08:46 AM

Clark,
Did you weigh the FMF PB & Stroker SX-1 SA? Any lighter than stock? I'm pretty happy the power & sound from my stock exhaust w/Thumper Racing Quiet insert - the only two reasons for changing out would be lighter weight & oil filter clearance. It sounds like the PB/SX-1 SA combo meets these criteria w/added benefit of more/better power.

Is this a correct read on your results?

Brian

PS - how are the ribs?

• Harold_in_So_Cal

Posted July 28, 2000 - 09:16 PM

Now I'm getting excited.

Dampner- Count me in for a Scott's steering dampner.

Airbox- Assuming this is the exact set up that Mitch has- Count me in here too.

But I need a little help- Please!. On my 2000 WR I'm running the stock header, White Brother's E-Series muffler 12 discs in (I don't know if I have an S Bend or Promeg but I will check this weekend) yz timining, airbox cover off, throttle stop modified, clark's jetting except I have a 175 main jet). I live in So Cal and ride mx tracks and trails.

Help:

* I'm confused about the pipes headers, will my white brothers exhaust and stock header be ok with the new airbox or should I consider buying a new header and/or exhaust?

* I was considering trying the yz needle that James Dean has suggested. Does anyone (maybe Clark and James especially) have jetting reccomnedations, especially with the new air box).
* On the Dampner- Does it come with everything I need to install it. And will if fit with my existing renthal bars that have a cross bar or do I need to buy bars that have not cross bar on them.

A big pre-Thanks for the help.

Harold

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted July 28, 2000 - 09:43 PM

For any takers (and FYI to Mark from 2 Dad's), I will be ordering the:

1-DSP airbox Douggie Henry Replica,
2-FMF PB
3-Stroker (YZF) SX-1 SA w/ mounting hardware for the YZF.

I have to pay w/ a personal check (vice my credit card) to ensure my wife does not accidentally run across this "transaction" like she did w/ my Pro Action fork rebuild. I understand I will have to wait for the check to clear prior to shipment. That is quite fine.

• Clark_Mason

Posted July 28, 2000 - 10:04 AM

Brian Meadows

Yes the Stroker SX-1 plus the FMF PowerBomb are lighter than stock, because I weigh everthing that goes onto and comes off of my bike. I can't quite remember but I think the savings is around 3lbs. The next time I have the exhaust off I will weight it and take written notes a instead of mental ones. The Stroker is a little on the heavy side for after market but still much lighter than stock. Again I was after a little quiet without totally destroying the power.

Clark

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted July 28, 2000 - 10:19 AM

2 Dads,
would the universal mount for the Scotts be additional? I'm looking at using the Scotts w/Thumper Racing 1.5" bar risers. The Thumper risers require the use of the universal mount. Can you get TR bar risers?

Clark - thanks for the additional info on the exhaust.

Brian

• Clark_Mason

Posted July 28, 2000 - 10:21 AM

Harold in So Cal

Your WB e-series and stock header will fit just fine with the DSP CF air box. All of the exhausts I have tested cleared the Air box just fine. Yohimura complete ti racing system, White Brothers e-series promeg with ti tapered header, FMF Mega Max II, FMF PC IV-2, Stroker SX-1 SA, and of course stock. So it looks like everthing will fit.

Scotts dampener will not work with the stock top tripple clamps you must replace the top tripple clamp to install the Scotts dampener. However, to be on the safe side call Steve at Scotts (818)248-6747 and discuss you application and you will get the straight stuff.

I'm in the process of trying James D. recommended EKP needle. Right now with the needle in the #3 from the top its too rich on transition so I will try the #2 position soon. The jetting I have run with YZ cam timeing and the CF air box is as follows:

PJ 50, Fuel screw 1.25 (sea level to 3000feet), 48PJ above 3000feet)

Needle DVP #4 from the top

Main jet (182 to 175) sea level to 11000feet.

I will post my results using James D. recommendations after I have experimented for a few more rides. Also my bike is now a 420 running 13.5 to 1 compression so my resluts may be a little different but they will be in the ball park.

Clark

• Harold_in_So_Cal

Posted July 28, 2000 - 10:59 AM

Thanks Clark. Helpfull and fast too- just like your wr . I'll give Scott's a call.

One more question on the header/exhasut- Is there a noticeable improvement with the FMF Power Bomb and Stroker combination over the stock header and E-series exhaust? I think the answer will be yes but wanted to check first. Thanks again

Harold

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dave_VanBrocklin

Posted July 28, 2000 - 02:04 PM

I'm in on the Scotts dampener also, I'll call to order. Thanks 2 dads!!!

• Clark_Mason

Posted July 28, 2000 - 03:19 PM

Harold in So Cal

The White Brothers e-series is a excellent exhaust it is just too loud for me. I do not beleive you will see any performance increase by going to the Stroker FMF combo. Performance about the same NOISE LEVEL IS BETTER. This is what I was after. The Stroker + FMF combo will not be worth it for anybody who does not care about noise!!! So if you motocross or do not care about noise use something else. I do not want to here a bunch of squaks about putting on the Stroker + PowerBomb and no performance increase because depending on what you were previously running there may be none to be had---BUT IT WILL BE QUIETER AND ABOUT EQUAL PERFORMANCE.

Read what I write very closely as I do not want any of you Forum users to be disappointed.

Clark

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted July 28, 2000 - 04:42 PM

Oh Clark,
Don't back down now! I KNOW YOU SAID I WILL HAVE EARTH SHATTERING TORQUE. IT WILL PULL JUST AS HARD AS A CAT BULLDOZER. I CAN ENTER TRUCK PULLS AND KICK EVERYBODY'S ASS. I KNOW YOU SAID THAT CLARK. IF THIS AIN'T TRUE, CLARK, OH BOY, OH BOY, THERE WILL BE HELL TO PAY. AND GUESS WHO IS GOING TO PAY...CLARK? YEAH CLARK, YOU GOT IT. OH BOY, YOU DON'T WANT TO SEE ME MAD. HAVE YOU EVER SEEN A WOMAN GET MAD??? THAT'S ME CLARK!! I WILL KICK AND SCREAM, I WILL BLAME EVEYTHING ON YOU, I WILL BLAME WORLD HUNGER ON YOU, I WILL BLAME THESE GOD-AWFUL GAS PRICES ON YOU, I WILL BLAME THE DAY MY TONKA TRUCK GOT SMASHED ON YOU. AND NO, CLARK, THAT WASN'T LAST WEEK, IT WAS THE WEEK BEFORE!! AND CLARK, DON'T TRY TO DEFEND YOURSELF CLARK. DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT, MISTER!! JUST BECAUSE YOU DESIGN AIRPLANES, JETS, SPACESHIPS, THE SHUTTLE, MISSLES, GOD ONLY KNOWS WHAT CLARK, DOESN'T MEAN I WILL NOT HOLD YOU UTTERLY RESPONSIBLE IF I AM NOT HAPPY WITH MY STROKER SILENCER, PB HEADER, AND MITCH'S JUST-GOT-TO-HAVE-IT DSP AIRBOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:D :D :) :D :D :D ;) :D :D :D :D
I am so frustrated now, Clark, I just can't make up my mind how I am feeling. And by the way, I DON'T LOVE YOU ANYMORE, NOT IF ALL THIS POWER STUFF AIN'T TRUE!
So there! :D

• Clark_Mason

Posted July 28, 2000 - 07:09 PM

Kevin

If you ride forest and want a little quiet and still make good power the Stroker + FMF PowerBomb are the way to go until the factories decide to take noise seriously. For today I'm happy!! I do not think my advise has missed the mark yet.

So keep the sunny side up and be positive.

Clark

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted July 28, 2000 - 07:37 PM

Clark,
I have decided to go w/ your recommendations. I do understand that I am making the final decisions on my bike. I am sure I will be happy with it.

Thanks for your timeless testing! Without your input, we'd all have our octopus, have bad jetting, have standard air boxes, etc.

• Harold_in_So_Cal

Posted July 28, 2000 - 10:42 PM

Clark- I agree with everything Kevin said. Although, he left out the hair pulling, nail scratching, and contesting the pre-nup. Seriously, your knowledge and advice is greatly appreciated but I take it as just that. Final decisons and responsiblity lie with the guy putting the cash out. No complaints or second guessing afterward.

As I'm learning, especially here in Southern California, noise is a big thing. Hell, I grew up in Alabama so noise and environmental concerns weren't considered too much. We were too busy riding loud motorcycles through trailer parks while shooting guns, doing the rebel yell, and chasing our sisters while under the influence of Boones Farm and beany weanies.

Thanks again. Harold

:)

------------------
Harold
2000 WR

[This message has been edited by Harold in So Cal (edited 07-29-2000).]

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted July 29, 2000 - 10:44 AM

Replies like Kevin's & Harold's are the reasons people at work look at me funny - I start laughing out loud and people think I'm strange. I'm not, I'm not I'm not - I swear.

Brian

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted July 31, 2000 - 10:57 PM

I HAVE (1) USED STROKER SX-1 NON SPARK ARRESTOR EXHAUST FOR $150.00. LET ME KNOW IF INTERESTED 888-248-9159 THANKS MARK

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted August 01, 2000 - 03:22 PM

Brian Meadows,
Sorry to disagree with you dude, BUT, when I snuck into the ladies restroom, to uhhh, mop the floor, I read on the wall, in lipstick no doubt, that BRIAN MEADOWS IS A TOTAL WEIRDO! Now I am sure there are lots of Brian Meadows out there. And I am sure that lots of those Brian Meadows own Thumpers. The note on the wall did say, "HE THINKS HIS THUMPER IS SO COOOOL. HE IS A WEIRDO". I just cannot believe how POPULAR your name is, last name too. Dude that is cool, and YOU, Brian, are cool too!! :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.