650R dual sport electrical gremlins

3 replies to this topic
  • rhythmofbeing

Posted August 03, 2007 - 08:54 PM

This new-to-me bike has a rewound (dual-output) stator and what I think is a BD dualsport kit. However, the electrical system is running at a very low output--the headlight is worthless in the dark and battery eliminator isn't charging. However, a couple nights ago when I started it up, it was really bright for about 30 seconds, then dropped back to low power.

I haven't dived into the wires with a multimeter yet, but I was wondering if there are any 650R-specific gremlins to look for, like floating versus normal ground.

Thoughts?

• philipstjohn

Posted August 04, 2007 - 04:05 AM

This new-to-me bike has a rewound (dual-output) stator and what I think is a BD dualsport kit. However, the electrical system is running at a very low output--the headlight is worthless in the dark and battery eliminator isn't charging. However, a couple nights ago when I started it up, it was really bright for about 30 seconds, then dropped back to low power.

I haven't dived into the wires with a multimeter yet, but I was wondering if there are any 650R-specific gremlins to look for, like floating versus normal ground.

Thoughts?

If in fact you do have a BD's kit, You could go to the BD's web site for trouble shooting. If the previous owner installed a BD's kit, he may have had them do the stator as well. Good luck...:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • eastreich

Posted August 05, 2007 - 03:17 PM

BD has very good information for the wiring on their site. You need to download the pdf files for the DS installation instructions. They have wiring diagrams in them. You can also see the wiring diagrams for the HID lighting systems, as they will be very similar (dual output stators).

For the record, I had an aftermarket high power stator (Moose) and could never get it to work quite right. My riding partner had his 650R stator rewound by BD and never had a problem. We had them wired identical, as they both had identical wires coming out of them. Mine just worked sporadically. I sent a spare OEM stator to BD to have it rewound, and all of my lighting problems were eliminated (I run a Trail Tech 8" HID race light).

• InternalCombustion

Posted August 05, 2007 - 04:08 PM

What eastreich said.

I did my own stator rewind. Single output, going through a ProCycle regulator-rectifier. To futher smooth the voltage I send it through a small 1.3 amp-hour sealed battery, to power my gps and other tricks.

There's no easy way to shoot your trouble except just roll up your sleeves, get your multimeter, start at the headlight and work backwards.

My only other suggestion is at some point pull the stator cover and carefully check the routing of the wires to make sure there's nothing funky going on with wires shorting out or whatever.

One mistake I made when I went to wire-up and install my rewound stator, was I forgot that the copper wire I used had a clear epoxy coating that needed to be scraped away before I soldered up the connection.

Point is, with an electrical gremlin you gotta check everything. Assume nothing.

My guess is its either a bad connector somewhere between the headlight and stator, or a 12v lead is momentarily shorting to ground somewhere.

You said your stator is dual-output. Do you have both outputs going to the headlight or only one, and the other output leads power the rest of the DS lighting?

Sorry, there's no quick fixes here. Check everything carefully. .

Good luck.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.