Road Suspension Settings

5 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted July 30, 2000 - 08:19 AM

Could one of you're obviously experienced posters please give advice on hard surface suspension settings for a stock 2000 model wr400f. I have set the suspension at around midpoint and improved matters but dont really like to go to mad with it before getting advice. bye the way, my body weight is 94kgs and height is 6'3". Thanks in advance, coop's.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted July 30, 2000 - 09:56 PM

Originally posted by coopsybaby@hotmail.com:
Could one of you're obviously experienced posters please give advice on hard surface suspension settings for a stock 2000 model wr400f. I have set the suspension at around midpoint and improved matters but dont really like to go to mad with it before getting advice. bye the way, my body weight is 94kgs and height is 6'3". Thanks in advance, coop's.

I´am seem situation what can hapen If in the front suspencion turn-off about almost 18 clicks the bikes run exelent but pump up a lot, my body weight is 79 kg. and height 6´00
thanks

• John_in_Long_Beach

Posted July 30, 2000 - 10:54 AM

After reading the posts, I am convinced that the 1999 suspension is stiffer than the 2000 suspension.

So take peoples suggestions regarding the 1998-1999 bikes with a grain of salt.

As for my 2000 year model. I weigh about 170 and found the stock clicker settings a very good place to start.

I would absolutely raise the fork oil level to 105mm from the stock 135mm as a first item, if you do any jumping or even an aggressive trail riding.

The front fork just felt to out of control with the stock oil setting.

From there it just depends how aggressive you will ride the bike.

I would say the stock settings will be a little soft for your weight and may work well for non-aggressive riding.

If you do any MX, you will need to firm things up quite a bit.

When you say hard surfaces, do you mean flat surfaces?

John

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted July 30, 2000 - 04:17 PM

Originally posted by John in Long Beach:
After reading the posts, I am convinced that the 1999 suspension is stiffer than the 2000 suspension.

So take peoples suggestions regarding the 1998-1999 bikes with a grain of salt.

As for my 2000 year model. I weigh about 170 and found the stock clicker settings a very good place to start.

I would absolutely raise the fork oil level to 105mm from the stock 135mm as a first item, if you do any jumping or even an aggressive trail riding.

The front fork just felt to out of control with the stock oil setting.

From there it just depends how aggressive you will ride the bike.

I would say the stock settings will be a little soft for your weight and may work well for non-aggressive riding.

If you do any MX, you will need to firm things up quite a bit.

When you say hard surfaces, do you mean flat surfaces?

John

john
thanks for you tips my bike is 2000 actually my from settings is down 11 cliks and up 9 cliks, but still is hard with the holds and rocks some time almost down off, for know the righ measure 105 mm. do i have take off all oil or can I get only 30mm. with a syrenge. my ride is agresive so I need some soft
thank you very much

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted July 31, 2000 - 09:03 PM

Thank's for you're help John, I,ll stick to the stock settings for a while and see how i get on. I suppose my biggest problem is my need for the bike to do everything, I normally have to ride to my nearest green lane area, which is 25 road miles away !!!

These roads can be fast, the drivers won't wait for you, they will fly past at over the ton, sometimes i think the race has finished before i get to the start line, ho ho. All i need to do is set the bike up better for this part of the trip, but i can't seem to get it right, i always revert to standard setting when i arrive at the track anyway.

I suppose you can't have it both ways, but i'd like to get a little bit closer, Coops.

• John_in_Long_Beach

Posted July 31, 2000 - 12:12 PM

Coops,

If I am reading your response correctly...

You drive on the road for about 20 miles before you get to an MX track or some trails?

I would just set up the bike for the track or trails and use those settings.

You don't have to worry about being too stiff for the street. Most street bikes only have about 1/2 the suspension travel of dirt bikes and handling can be upset with too much travel or movement on the street. This can adversly affect the steering geometry. So I would not worry about a full MX set up on the street.

I can't say that I have ridden on the street with my WR so I can't say for sure if what I am saying is correct. But I have done some road racing and am pretty familiar with street bikes.

The only problem might be if you have too much dampening in the rear shock which could get you some high speed wobble.

Other than than I would say the set up for the street is almost completely unimportant.

The BIGGER factor would be tire pressures.

You may want to go on the street with a higher pressure and then let out the air for the trails.

I am not sure what people use for the pavement but it could be around 25-30psi, and for dirt people use 12-15.

Keep in mind when you drop the pressure that after the tires are warm the pressure should be higher.

John

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.