Never again

12 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Spudman_*

Posted July 27, 2000 - 10:00 AM

During my ride last weekend I flatted my front tire about twenty miles back into the Idaho mountains with no way out other than riding or walking. I ended up riding and walking my bike out to try and not damage the rim. The rim made it back in decent shape but as for me that is another story(250 lbs takes on a whole new meaning now).

Any way to my question. I really don't want to pack 15" tire irons with me when I go riding. So what do people take with them on long rides to fix flats. CO2 cartridges, patch kits, etc.

Your help experience is much appreciated.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted July 27, 2000 - 11:18 AM

Hey Spud, The best way to go is not to get a flat tire so I take the precaution of using heavy-duty Bridgestone tubes and always have fresh meat. Some friends of mine use Slime, I think this could be a good idea until you have a big blow-out then your pretty blue WR will look like green paint balls hit it. Even then I do carry Tire irons and patches (always). On long rides I would suggest on packing a spare tube. If I see you on the trail with a flat I'll do it for you... Dan

[This message has been edited by Dan Lorenze (edited 07-27-2000).]

• Taffy

Posted July 27, 2000 - 12:00 PM

have you thought of a Mousse. its a sponge tube that you put in your front & it's gauranteed you can carry on. i'm told without even dropping your speed. the top enduro boys in england all fit them & puncture repairs, whilst racing are a thing of the past. in england they're £75 so i bet you can get them for that in dollars.

i believe you should replace them once per year.

this is what i understand so maybe someone else can tell you more.

• Snowman

Posted July 27, 2000 - 12:53 PM

A front tire puncture is no problem as you can just wheelie your way home. :)

• Tim_in_WA

Posted July 27, 2000 - 04:25 PM

Spud, I don't carry tire lever's or a spare tube either. And yes, it will probably bite me in the ass some day, but I'm a gambler :)! I carry two small bicycle size (3 oz.) cans of fix-a-flat (can get at K-mart, etc.), and a small CO2 inflator with an extra cartridge. I figure unless I get the mother of all flats, I'll be able to keep the tire aired up enough to get home (might have to stop a bunch to keep inflating, but that's no problem). All 4 items take up less room that a pocket camera, and the whole package weighs about 1lb. Oh, and I also agree with Dan, when I go to replace my stock tires, heavy duty tubes are going in. Good luck.

• Matt_Porritt

Posted July 27, 2000 - 05:12 PM

Until you run Mooss Tubes they are great!

They are a BITCH to change, need to be lubed every ride (ie. removing tube and reinserting), feel like you're riding on a flat and start to break down aftre about 6+ rides.
BUT you don't get flats! :)

I think the price of the tubes and the hassle of changing them etc is FAR outweighted by a flat every so often.

**Ride it like you Stole it!**
Matt Porritt
99 YZ400F
Vist the Rubber Chicken Racing Online Shop
Discounts for ThumperTalk members.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GB

Posted July 27, 2000 - 06:26 PM

I agree with Matt;

The mousse tubes are great if getting a flat and loosing five minutes in and enduro is going to mean the difference between winning or loosing, however for trail riding there are just too many disadvantages.

Flats are fairly common in some of the rocky areas that I ride in Australia. I have found that it is easier to just carry a spare front tube which can be used for either the front or rear tyre in the event of a flat. I carry the METZLER tyre irons which are about 25cm long. I also cut the ring ends of two spanners (the correct size for the front and rear axles) and then cut a small amount off the end of both tyre irons. I then welded the end of a ring spanner on to the end of each tyre iron. This saves carrying large spanners and has worked well for me. In addition to the tyre irons and front tube, I also carry one of the small CO2 inflaters. I like these CO2 inflaters as they are very small and light, however I have found that I do not get quite enough pressure from one CO2 bottle and I usually need to use a second one to get the pressure I want. All this gear together with an array of other spanners, tools etc all fit neatly into a Kelly Enduro bum bag. I don't really like carrying this extra weight but am sometimes very greatful that I do when something happens and it's a hell of a long way to get out to civilisation.

Oh, by the way. I am not saying that fixing a flat on the side of the track is easy. It sucks and usaually takes me about fifteen to twenty minutes, but is a lot better than calling off the ride for the day.

Just a side note, if anyone knows anyone who works for an airline, they use the CO2 bottles in all the life vests that the planes have to carry. Here in Australia they have to replace these CO2 bottles every year and they just throw them away. I think it would probably be the same over in the U.S. Luckily I have a friend who works for Quantas and supplies me with pleanty of these CO2 bottles.

• Guest_Spudman_*

Posted July 28, 2000 - 02:58 PM

Thanks for the info. I guess I will just have to learn how to wheelie. :)

• Dougie

Posted July 29, 2000 - 01:59 AM

I too never carry any flat fixins. I flated the front a couple of weeks ago up in the mountains of Breckenridge CO, 18 miles from the truck. I had to go up and down some very steep rocky areas to get back.

My buddy carries a spare tube, tire irons, and air cartriges (I guess that is why I never carry anything since he has it). Anyway, I went to change the tire and realized I didn't have a 24mm wrench to get the axle nut off (let alone a 27mm for the rear if needed). So I tried to use Robogrips. No dice, even stripped it a little. Problem number two, which I never got to, was how would I prop the bike up anyway to change the tire?

So I rode the tire out. Very slow through the rocks and up to third gear in the flat terrain. The tire held up, luckily, and the rim was fine. I find it much easier to ride out a front flat than a rear flat. My brother in law offered this advice on riding out a front flat...Carry a couple of large pipe clamps (the kind that your screw down and they tighten around a pipe). You can put them around the tire and rim opposite the tire lock and it will help support the tire as you ride it out.

I would have tried to change it but I don't have the wrench sizes yet to get my large nuts off (there you go Kevin, tee'd it up for you).

So that leads to this question...what are you guys carrying to remove the axle nuts?

[This message has been edited by Dougie (edited 07-29-2000).]

• Tim_in_WA

Posted July 29, 2000 - 11:54 AM

Like I said on a previous post, I don't carry irons or tubes for fixing flats, but I did end up needing a wrench for the rear nut for making chain tension adjustments on the trail.

I picked up a nice, fairly lightweight rider wrench from Baja Designs. One end is 27mm for the rear nut, the other end is 24mm for the front. I think I paid $15 for it, and it works great. Only problem now is I think my 27mm nut hangs a little lower than my 24mm!

• JamesD

Posted July 30, 2000 - 05:36 AM

I don't know if the product is for sale yet, but Scott Summers (team Honda) was testing a tube replacement that consisted of individual balls(?) that fit inside the tire instead of a tube. It was supposed to eliminate flats and bent rims. It was supposed to eliminate the need for carrying tire irons and spare tubes since if one ball got popped you could still finish a race on it. Probably available through Scott Summers racing sometime soon.

• JamesD

Posted July 30, 2000 - 05:37 AM

FYI, I currently carry CO2 but that won't help if the tube has too big of a hole.

• Matt_Porritt

Posted July 30, 2000 - 09:07 PM

I've seen the same sort of thing as what Summers is using..

Someone was testing using tennis balls (no shite) in the tyre!!

**Ride it like you Stole it!**
Matt Porritt
99 YZ400F
Vist the Rubber Chicken Racing Online Shop
Discounts for ThumperTalk members.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.