fcr on a 650r?

7 replies to this topic
  • rulingtheroost

Posted August 03, 2007 - 03:40 PM

my buddy just bought a used 00' xr650r.looks to be all stock was wondering if any body has tried running a fcr carb on there bike,saw the edelbroc thing.if so hows she run?

• martinfan30

Posted August 03, 2007 - 04:35 PM

my buddy just bought a used 00' xr650r.looks to be all stock was wondering if any body has tried running a fcr carb on there bike,saw the edelbroc thing.if so hows she run?

i dont have an R, but i do run a fcr 41 pumper on my 05 650L. i love it. the throttle response is instant, jetting is easy, not to mention have an accelerator pump now. just 1 twist of the throttle it starts and idles good. great power all the way up. power wasnt a huge leap, but it is noticeable. a little more intake noise too. i know a lot of R guys like the EDELBROCK, i dont have any experience with it though. i hear its a little work to get top end balance with low end response, but that is all heresay.

• ogrider650

Posted August 03, 2007 - 08:15 PM

i have the eddie on an 04 and i love it throttle response is amazing and no flooding this things runs all the time no matter what. never tried an FCR but the eddie get two thumbs up

• martinfan30

Posted August 03, 2007 - 08:25 PM

i have the eddie on an 04 and i love it throttle response is amazing and no flooding this things runs all the time no matter what. never tried an FCR but the eddie get two thumbs up

curious about the eddy, you say thr. response is amazing. do you have any issues with top WOT from 3/4 to 4/4 throttle as far as a hesitation?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • eastreich

Posted August 05, 2007 - 03:35 PM

I have the FCR41 kit from Sudco on my bastardized 650R. It is not a bolt on, as Sudco says :banghead: , as I have had to do some other modifications to make it fit well. As for the performance, it is waaaay better than the stock round slide.

If you don't mind a little fabrication, I would just but the complete carb from a Honda dealer (CRF450R part). You may have to machine the bells a little bit going that route, but I have had to change enough other stuff that it would seem easier. Also, the Sudco carb doesn't use the same pilot jets as a regular dirt FCR (the pilots are the same as the Keihin CV carbs), but the mains are the same. The Sudco 41 also has some fitment issues that a dirt FCR from a CRF, YZF, etc. will not have with the cam chain tensioner.

Was it worth it in the long run? Absolutely! Is it better than the Edelbrock? IMO, yes. The FCR is the closest thing that you can get to fuel injection. Once I got the FCR jetted right, I have never had to adjust it (I can see elevation changes of 5000 feet in a ride). The only thing to remember is that with the FCR41 that I have, is that there is no choke circuit. When the bike is cold, I give the bike three quick blips of the throttle (to 'prime' the motor using the accelerator pump), do the drill, and she almost always fires on the first kick. You then just need to run the throttle manually for a few seconds until the bike will idle on its own.

For jetting, I am running a 45 pilot, 188 main, fuel screw 1.5 turns out, needle 2nd position from the top, 100 octane fuel.

• motoboy1968

Posted September 16, 2007 - 07:15 PM

I have an fcr from a crf450 I want to put on the 650, can i ask what needle you are using

• porterdog

Posted September 18, 2007 - 04:31 AM

I have the FCR41 kit from Sudco on my bastardized 650R. It is not a bolt on, as Sudco says :thumbsup: , as I have had to do some other modifications to make it fit well.

eastreich, I've read that before. Can you go into a little more detail regarding what's involved? I'm not shy about giving stuff a go, but I'd like to know in advance what the deal will be...

Thanks!

• roadrunner81

Posted September 18, 2007 - 02:48 PM

I had to cut down timing chain tesioner and use a bolt from a 450, other than that I don't recall any other real mods. almost forgot that I had to heat up tank with a heat gun and push in slighty where throttle shaft is on carb and tilt cab slightly towards frame. Runs great and would not even consider an edelbrock.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.