WR400 servicemanual - infos needed

12 replies to this topic
  • Drehwurm

Posted July 23, 2000 - 09:54 PM

Servus,

Could someone please look up the following things in his WR manual and post them here:

Section Electrical / CDI Magneto Inspection

1) Pick-up coil resistance
2) Source coil 1 resistance
3) Source coil 2 resistance

I've have only got a YZ manual (longer story) for my 1998 WR and I'm not sure if the numbers are the same.

Why I need those numbers? Well, my WR started to foul plugs and run like crab lately when the jetting was not spot on (it ran fine before with the settings it now fouls plugs). So I started checking everything and while my YZ manual says 44-66 ohm for "Source coil 2 resistance", I found infinite resistance between the pink and black lead. Nevertheless, if I removed the pink lead from the connector (an open connection has also an infinite resistance) the bike didn't start anymore, so I figured there must be something wrong - still I want to be sure that the numbers I got are correct for my bike!

Mike from Austria

• MotoGreg

Posted July 23, 2000 - 01:42 PM

From my '99 WR manual

Primary coil resistance .2-.3 ohm

Secondary coil resistance 9.5-14.3 ohm

Pick-up coil resistance 248-372 ohm

Source coil 1 640-980 ohm

Source coil 2 464-696 ohm

[This message has been edited by MotoGreg (edited 07-23-2000).]

• Howard_Robbins

Posted July 23, 2000 - 05:06 PM

how long does a new plug last? I had a
plug fowling prob mine would last bout
10min. my stock jetting was way off.i
thought it was elect.but every thing
checked out. oh ya my dealer had no idea
nor did yahama tec. well good luck

• Drehwurm

Posted July 24, 2000 - 12:34 PM

Originally posted by Howard Robbins:
how long does a new plug last? I had a
plug fowling prob mine would last bout
10min. my stock jetting was way off.i
thought it was elect.but every thing
checked out. oh ya my dealer had no idea
nor did yahama tec. well good luck

No, I'm absolutely sure that this is not jetting related. The settings which now foul plugs worked fine before. You really have to be 'way off' with jetting to foul a plug on a WR which has no other problem. Thanks anyway.

Michael

• Drehwurm

Posted July 24, 2000 - 12:40 PM

Originally posted by MotoGreg:
From my '99 WR manual
Source coil 2 464-696 ohm

That's what I thought - WR and YZ are different. Nevertheless I seem to have a problem here; I guess there is no way around disassembling the stator now. Thanks for your help.

Michael

• Taffy

Posted July 24, 2000 - 01:11 PM

i've seen this fouled plug come up quite a bit.

if you know that you're running rich-come down one number on the plug. this softer plug will 'put up' with more extreme wet/rich conditions without giving out. it also won't stall. likewise if you're running a little lean & after a good thrashing it stalls a lot you need to go to a harder plug. this willstop this problem as well.

of course what we all want to do, is get all the mixture settings spot on. but while we await the day we must have a bike that runs long enough to give us the answers.

i learnt from bitter experience NOT to look at the plug colour but to look at the pipe. i have mentioned this more fully in a previous thread.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Drehwurm

Posted July 24, 2000 - 07:48 PM

Originally posted by Taffy:
i've seen this fouled plug come up quite a bit.

if you know that you're running rich-come down one number on the plug. this softer plug will 'put up' with more extreme wet/rich conditions without giving out. it also won't stall. likewise if you're running a little lean & after a good thrashing it stalls a lot you need to go to a harder plug. this willstop this problem as well.

Well, I started this thread because I got wrong numbers when I measured one of the primary coils. The problem is still there and I'm pretty sure there is a problem other than jetting.

Michael

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted July 25, 2000 - 02:46 AM

I know you are almost positive that its electrical, but my experience has led me to believe that it if it is the case the bike wouln't start at all. It sounds very similar to a problem I've just sorted out on my bike.
1. check the pink vent tubes on the carby for blockages.
2.if you run optimax in your bike, cock it off because its crap (just fouls up plugs).
does it break down on you while you are riding?
does it come good again?
or does it play up when youv'e just washed it?

• Drehwurm

Posted July 25, 2000 - 10:38 AM

Originally posted by splint:

I know you are almost positive that its electrical, but my experience has led me to believe that it if it is the case the bike wouln't start at all. It sounds very similar to a problem I've just sorted out on my bike.

What was your problem - which symptoms, settings and the solution?

2.if you run optimax in your bike

What is optimax - never heard about it here in Europe!

does it break down on you while you are riding?
does it come good again?

Most of the time the symptoms (bike doesn't accellerate, bad performance up to 1/2 throttle, heavy back firing) start when the bike gets hot after a few laps. Then, sometimes when I really wring it out on a long straight it goes away (I know, sounds like cleaning out the plug on a two-stroke). When I let the bike cool down, the problems go away. Starting is no problem - neither hot nor cold.

What really baffles me, is that the bike ran fine with the jetting it now has problems. Any more ideas?

Michael

• Taffy

Posted July 25, 2000 - 12:09 PM

fuel starvation?

try pulling the nut off the bottom of the float bowl. turn the fuel tap on & check that it piddles out.

is there a blockage at the tank breather.

it also sounds like the generator isn't working at 100%

just an idea.

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted July 25, 2000 - 12:25 PM

Drehwurm,
pre '91 XR600s had a problem w/exciter coil that your descriptions of the symptoms reminded of. The XR's wouldn't start when hot - you had to wait for the bike to cool down. Other than this difference the problem sounds similar. Maybe check with Baja Designs - they were the ones that helped me out with my XR.

Good luck,
Brian

• MotoGreg

Posted July 25, 2000 - 05:46 PM

Ya, what Brian described is true of electrical stuff. Parts will expand with heat and a broken or loose connection will no longer make a good contact.

------------------
MotoGreg - The voice of a new millennium
'99 WR400 - 'cause thumpers rule!
'92 GSXR 7/11 (But I wanna trade it for a dope 916)
You can visit my photo album for $1 - ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK
Sportbike fans, join us at www.insanespeed.com

• Drehwurm

Posted July 31, 2000 - 10:11 AM

Servus,

Found the problem after a long search - look at the new thread "accelerator pump adjustment - BEWARE!" for details!

Michael

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.