more hype!

13 replies to this topic
  • So_Cal_Erik

Posted July 28, 2000 - 01:47 PM

Hey everybody, this afternoon I went to my local KTM dealer to check out some aftermarket goodies for my new KTM 400sx and
I was checking out the latest MX action magazine. There was a write up on all the 2001's and so I looked up the new YZ 250 f
and there was quite alot of info on it, including horsepower and weight. First of all, I still have my wr400, and still like it
so I dont mean to offend anyone on this site,
but I must say that I was a little bit bothered by what I saw. First of all,the 250f
has great horsepower,37hp.. but heres the problem,it weighs 239lbs! All the write ups
were saying how that thing was supposed to be
lighter than a 250 two-smoke? I dont get it,
I am convinced that the Jap bike manufacturers pay huge dollars to the magazines and they in return will write anything or sell anything or hype anything
in the name of the almighty dollar. Before any of you throw your hard earned money at a bike that you think barely weighs more than a 125 :) ,what they meant to say was barely weighs more than a 250 minus ten horsepower! Or, weighs the same as a 520sx minus 20 horsepower! Just my two cents worth!

Grouchy Erik

• Hick

Posted July 28, 2000 - 03:13 PM

I wonder what they are now saying the 426 weighs? I remember they made a ridiculously low weight claim for 400/426.

In fact, it seems they claimed a dry weight of about 239. That means that 250F weighs same as 426!!

Or maybe they finally learned how to be more truthful about claimed wt.s.

On the corp. website under model spec.s both bikes have "n/a" listed as weight :)

I read that 250F is to weigh a bit less than 2 stroke 250.

Grouchy, when you say "new 400SX" are you talkin' 2001? So your new ride has a six speed huh? Kick ass!!

Too bad they didn't do same to 520SX. I'm thinking of buying one anyway and figuring out how to retrofit 6 speed anyway...

Who is your KTM dealer? Only KTM dealer in my area is about 300 miles away and isn't at all interested in aiding my quest for 6 speed 520SX.

• MotoGreg

Posted July 28, 2000 - 06:01 PM

There was a new 250F in the Yamaha display at a roadrace I went to a few weeks ago. I was checking it out and lifting it on and off the stand it felt a little lighter than my 400 but not much, not nearly as light as a 250 two stroke.

Also, I got a chance to ride a Cannondale a little yesterday. I don't think I'm supposed to be giving my two cents on it but don't go selling your Yamaha for one!

------------------
MotoGreg - The voice of a new millennium
'99 WR400 - 'cause thumpers rule!
'92 GSXR 7/11 (But I wanna trade it for a dope 916)
You can visit my photo album for $1 - ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK
Sportbike fans, join us at www.insanespeed.com

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted July 28, 2000 - 06:38 PM

MotoGreg,
How do you rate? Are you married to Cannondale's sister or something?

• MotoGreg

Posted July 28, 2000 - 06:50 PM

Actually my buddy gets everything, he lives next door to a magazine editor and rides test bikes all year, free gear, free race entries, you name it... Yesterday we went riding after work, he went by home to pick up a bike and it was just sitting there...

------------------

• MotoGreg

Posted July 28, 2000 - 07:45 PM

Too bad they didn't do same to 520SX. I'm thinking of buying one anyway and figuring out how to retrofit 6 speed anyway...

Supposedly the six speed is a direct replacement for the four speed, no modification is necessary to do the swap.

I think now that Erik has a KTM he isn't allowed here anymore? Isn't that the way it works? Or does he have until he sells his WR to stay here? I better shut up before he takes back his offer of letting me ride his new bike... Luckily he said he'll let me take it for a spin on my local track where I've done probably atleast 500 laps in the past three months on my bike, so I'll be able to compare bikes without other variables. I hope I don't like it too much because I really don't have any money for a new bike right now, I was kinda planning on waiting another year for the Honda four stroke.

I think we all are comparing the 250F to our bikes and to 250 two strokes. If that's the case, I like my 400, but... it wasn't designed to run with 400's. It was built to race 125's where IT WILL dominate... bet on it!

------------------

[This message has been edited by MotoGreg (edited 07-28-2000).]

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted July 28, 2000 - 07:47 PM

That game of misinformation and hype has been going on forever..... Remember the magazines get you to BUY the magazine by printing all that pre-release hype.... The manufacturers don't have to pay them anything to get them to do that stuff....They do it all to stir the pot and create interest in general for the sport that makes them their living... To find out the truth you have to wait for the real live full test, with the bikes being weighed and hopefully dynoed and ridden long and hard by several people.... If they lie to us in the real test, they go out of business because we won't buy their mag anymore... But that pre-release stuff is like listening to politicians running for office.... You shouldn't believe a word.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JAFChE

Posted July 29, 2000 - 04:16 AM

Gentlemen,

239 lbs or not, and knowing the WR250F will be heavier yet, I still take solice in knowing that the HP is still going to be much greater that what I had on my old XR250R!!

Bring on the 2001 WR250F, I can't wait until February!

• PSC

Posted July 29, 2000 - 08:18 AM

According to Yamaha official blurb, the *dry* weights are as follows (no weights for new 426 yet)

2001 - YZ250F - 96.5kg (212.75 lb)
2001 - YZ250 - 97.5kg (214.95 lb)

Paul

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted July 29, 2000 - 09:41 PM

On Yamaha's '2000' Product website the weight for the YZ250F is listed as N/A........http://www.yamahausa.../spec_body.html...... and if you believe the 212 pound figure then Oprah must weigh 112 too....... The real weight of the '98' YZ400F was 257 pounds according to Dirt Bike.... same as the XR400 and Husaberg 600... And that is the number I believe..... I don't believe any manufacturers claims for anything... And I don't believe any weight till it's put on a scale by people I trust.

• PSC

Posted July 29, 2000 - 11:08 AM

DeBarker,

The figures are quoted from *Official* Yamaha press releases (not their US web page)and are quoted as *DRY*

They do not specify exactly what they term "dry", and it is a point open to interpretation, normally it would mean without fluids.

Worst case take the 96.5kg's and add

Fork oil - 0.9kg
Coolant - 3kg ??
Grease :) - 0.05kg
Engine Oil - 1.6kg

~ 102.5 Kg's (~ 224.51 lb's)

If you apply the same factors to the Official Yamaha 2000 426 weight you get ~ 111.05 Kg's ~ 244lb's

There are a plethora of factors affecting weights quoted by magazines, when they all start coming up with similar weights I will start believing them ...

Paul Card

• MotoGreg

Posted July 29, 2000 - 04:01 PM

Don't really know what a dry weight is for Dirtbikes, but for streetbikes it's like this...

No coolant
No suspension oil
No engine oil
No brake fluid
No battery!!!
Take another 10% off of that just to be safe

------------------

• Clark_Mason

Posted July 29, 2000 - 06:34 PM

To me there is only one way to weigh a bike and that is completely ready to ride with no fuel in the tank--that is the way I have weighed evey bike I have ever owed. The lightest 4-stroke I owned was a 1991 Husaberg 499Mx 231lbs and a rocket when it was running. The 499 was a special motocross version with hotter cams and more compression then the 501 for a stock bike it truly would fly.

Clark

• Dave_VanBrocklin

Posted July 29, 2000 - 07:25 PM

Don't start looking too much into "specs"!! You can sit on and ride 2 different bikes that are identical weights, and they may feel entirely different. Ride a DRZ400 and a WR400 back to back. These bikes have almost identical weights(In fact the DRZ electric start is a little heavier). You would swear that the DRZ is lighter by at least 20Lbs. What really matters is where the weight is on the bike, and how the bike is laid out ergonomically. I have to believe that Yamaha put some thinking into this bike if they plan on entering the supercross circuit with it. Numbers can be very deceiving. That's my opinion anyway.Oh, and the DRZ will not handle the whoops and jumps half as well as my HEAVY yet nimble WR400

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.