spark arrester question

This may be entirely obvious but I must ask. From a functional perspective, ie: not starting the forest on fire, how important is it to get a muffler with a spark arrester? I do almost entirely trail riding and am looking at getting the Stroker SX1 pipe.

Well trent, this is how picky the forest service is being in my nck of the woods.

In the 11 years I have been riding in the woods in my particular riding area, not one person has ever stopped to check to see if anyone has had a spark arrestor. Untill last month. I heard some forest ranger checked all the bikes in the campground by running a wire of some sort up the exhaust and if there was no screen the that was an automatic $50 bill.

The way I look at it is the rules are getting tighter but as long as it doest affect performance and its avialable to you, why not use it?

------------------

Darin from Missouri 1999 WR400F

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

I live in Canada and have yet to be stopped, nor do I know of anyone having their bikes checked. My main concern is not setting the forest on fire. From a practical, not legal, perspective, does a pipe without a spark arrester actually allow flame or spark out of the pipe?

Believe it or not yes, especially if your jetting is a little off, I have seen bikes without spark arrestors shoot a foot long flame out on decel!! It doesn't take a major flaw in jetting for this to happen. Do yourself a favor and get a spark arrestor. They really don't hinder performance and are worth the few extra bucks.(One ticket would cost you more!!)

If you ever see anyone without a spark arrestor out in the forrests, you should give them a $50 fine yourself and a slap upside the head.

I'm sure you have been seeing many forrest fires in the news lately, especially here in CO where we are experiencing the dryest summer in recent history.

I'd hate to be the one who started one of these fires that destroys 20,000 acres of land and many homes because I didn't use a spark arrestor. More than a fine would be levied. Jail time would be mandatory. And they always seem to track down the culprit.

OK, that was my moral rant for the day. Thanks for listening. I hope I brought a little elightenment into someones two stroke life.

------------------

Dougie, '99 WR400

Mods: YZ timing, Race Tech Suspension, FMF PC IV, FMF Hi FLo Moto, YZ seat, IMS 3.3 tank, One Industries Graphics, Renthal bars, 14/52 gearing.