Rebuilt engine finally back

Hi all,

Last december my engine seized. 3 months prior a local dirt bike shop did an oil change (I just got the bike), checked bearing, made sure it was mechanically sound. Well, the retards put the oil filter in there backwards....

Anyway, in feb I ordered a crank, piston, etc. It took 2.5 months to arrive!!! Then another shop that put it together took 10 weeks to do everything. Now I have the engine,on the ground by the bike. My question to you guys is: How long should I run it (km)before I change the oil/filter? I'm asking just because there might be old crap there from when it seized. Is there a specific time before I make a secong oil change? I have a manual but since the bike is not new, I'm not sure what to do.

Also, I thnk I will sell the motard. Does it have greater value with 0 miles/0hrs or should I first break it in and then sell it? What do buyers prefer?

Thanks in advance for the answer on the few questions

Lubos

if your that worried about it i wouldnt hesitate to do a quick oil change just after a few minutes of warm up and a few miles. i would change filter and pull the downtube screen and check it out for sure also.Do you have magnetic drain plugs? prolly a good investment if you dont already and can be a good indicator if your having any engine problems.

"should" is the keyword. i would do it after a couple hundered miles, then 500, then every 1000. use honda oil, non synthetic for the first 2500 then synthetic.

Thank guys for the quick reply. I took the bike to the best mechanic I know. He works on HOnda superbikes that race here in canadian nationals. The guy, is as good as he gets, at least I hope. The bill said he's best:bonk: $12 hrs labour times $75...ouch.

The cases were split, so I think he cleaned it out, I just wanted to be cautious.

I'll change the oil after 2 or 3 hundered miles, with the filter, right? You also mentioned using HOnda oil for the first 2500 miles. I thought I should use some generic bike oil for the first 800-1000 miles, but you guys probably don't recommend that, eh.

Man, I've waited for ever for this bike. NOw that the SM is days away from being ridden....I don't even want it anymore. The whole deal left a bitter taste in my mouth. I think I'll go back to sport bikes....:foul::excuseme:

Lubos

Thank guys for the quick reply. I took the bike to the best mechanic I know. He works on HOnda superbikes that race here in canadian nationals. The guy, is as good as he gets, at least I hope. The bill said he's best:bonk: $12 hrs labour times $75...ouch.

The cases were split, so I think he cleaned it out, I just wanted to be cautious.

I'll change the oil after 2 or 3 hundered miles, with the filter, right? You also mentioned using HOnda oil for the first 2500 miles. I thought I should use some generic bike oil for the first 800-1000 miles, but you guys probably don't recommend that, eh.

Man, I've waited for ever for this bike. NOw that the SM is days away from being ridden....I don't even want it anymore. The whole deal left a bitter taste in my mouth. I think I'll go back to sport bikes....:foul::excuseme:

Lubos

yes with the filter. also clean the downtube screen, be carefull use a quality 6 point box end wrench or socket. its easy to round off the nut. NO!! the first few miles are most critical to an engine's reliability. use a high quality conventional 4 stroke motorcycle oil(no synthetics either!). too bad your experience was bad. give the bike a chance- she will make it up to you!?