Dunlop 606 -- The 1600 Mile Tire??

5 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted July 20, 2000 - 10:15 PM

Has anyone tried the Dunlop 606 rear tire? Dirt Rider -- April 2000 -- did a report on it and gave it a 9 out of 10. Says great traction and extremly long lasting. One guy put on 1600 miles before replacing :). Another was used in the Vegas to Reno desert race (Husaberg FC 501) and came through in great shape. Seems I saw that Clark (our Clark) uses one these. Anyone have an experienced opinion on this tire for a WR?

• Sigster

Posted July 21, 2000 - 03:28 AM

No opinion on a WR with the 606, but I do have one for the 606 on a DRZ. I put my 606 on to get it inspected, I had read and heard from various sources that it was the way to go in DOT tires. I would rate the tire a 6, maybe I was expecting too much from a DOT tire. Granted all I can compare it to is non-DOT knobbies. The lack of traction left my bike spinning and fishtailing. We ride in areas that have loose, hardpack, gravel, rocks and the 606's enemy, mud. Plus the 120/80 is smaller than it should be for bikes this size I feel. I love Dunlop tires I was just expecting more traction from this tire. But then again I'm used to soft terrain knobbies so my experiance could be tainted. If you want to try one I'll give you a good deal on one that has about 50 miles on it. It does appear that you will get good wear from this tire. Hardly any wear from the two times I rode on it.

• RR@ARS

Posted July 21, 2000 - 12:00 PM

I too have used a 606 on my DRZ. All I can say is it is a great dualsport tire if you have to have a DOT knobby. However, I have never heard of anyone getting a ticket for their tires. My experience is that if a cop pulls you over, they check the basics(registration, license, ect.) as long as your cool to them!

The 606 has been the best DOT tire I have tried!(long lasting, good traction in rocks, pretty good in sand). However, from now on I'll mount up D756's to my DRZ S model. Even though they are a soft rated tire, they wear very well and do very well in soft and rocks!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Clark_Mason

Posted July 21, 2000 - 06:30 PM

I like the 606 for my summer riding conditions. I works great and seems to last forever. I would not recommend it for mud or soft terrain. But for dual sport and forest riding in the summer its great--fire roads, trails rocks roots as long as its dry and not muddy. In the winter for desert I run the 756 for the desert version of the 739.

Clark

• GPS Dual Sport

Posted July 23, 2000 - 10:07 AM

I have been using the 606 for awhile now. Great wear performance and excellent cut resistance. There are other tires with better traction in soft terrain but they don't last as long as the 606. The only other tire with this type of long life is the Pirelli MT21. The MT21 sucks on high horsepower machines. The transition from going straight to starting to slide the rear is very abrupt. When you start to slide the rear of the bike will step out very suddenly before it will begin to hook up again.
The Dunlop 606 is a good general purpose with very good wear character. Great dual sport tire.

Originally posted by John in Granite Bay:
Has anyone tried the Dunlop 606 rear tire? Dirt Rider -- April 2000 -- did a report on it and gave it a 9 out of 10. Says great traction and extremly long lasting. One guy put on 1600 miles before replacing :). Another was used in the Vegas to Reno desert race (Husaberg FC 501) and came through in great shape. Seems I saw that Clark (our Clark) uses one these. Anyone have an experienced opinion on this tire for a WR?

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted July 26, 2000 - 09:05 PM

Thanks for the feedback. Decided to give it a try and mounted one today. Will probably also get a D-756 to switch out for slugging through winter's muck.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.