How is Mobil 1 MX2T premix?

43 replies to this topic
  • RideRaceLive123

Posted August 02, 2007 - 11:26 PM

I know acouple of you guys use MX2T so I thought I'd post in here? So how does it lubricate, is it clean, is it hard to jet for, does it smoke alot?

Thanks

• dtkiko

Posted August 02, 2007 - 11:40 PM

I know acouple of you guys use MX2T so I thought I'd post in here? So how does it lubricate, is it clean, is it hard to jet for, does it smoke alot?

Thanks

dude, read chokey's report; mobil1 MX 2T is right below:

This isn’t exactly a scientifically conducted test, it’s just my opinions and observations about several different oils that I have tried over the last few years, on both my KX250 and my KDX250. All of these results are obtained running a 26:1 ratio, with jetting as close to perfect as I am capable of. Each oil was used through the life of at least one top-end. I only use Wiseco pistons and rings.

Golden Spectro: This oil did a good job of protecting the piston and cylinder. The piston was a little shiny on the intake side, but wear was within specs, and the piston and cylinder otherwise looked OK. There was a good coating of residual oil in both the top and bottom of the engine. It is a dirty-burning oil, however. It leaves a lot of carbon deposits on the piston crown and head, and really gums up the ring grooves and the power valves. And this oil spooges! No matter how sharp you try to jet, the spooge simply can’t be completely eliminated. I wouldn’t run this oil again unless I had no alternative, it’s just too dirty. As a side note that may or may not be related to the oil, this is the only pre-mix that I have ever had an engine failure while using, with the thrust-bearings on the KDX250 crank pin seizing. It was probably just a fluke, and I can’t pin it down to lubrication failure, but it’s always stuck in my head.

Maxima Super-M: This oil didn’t protect the piston as well as I would like to see in my engines. The piston was noticably shiny and scuffed on both the intake and exhaust sides, and the top-end was almost dry upon tear-down, although the bottom-end seemed to be well lubed. The ring grooves were reasonably clean, but the piston crown and head had significant deposits, as well as the powervalves, although not as bad as the Golden Spectro. Another oil that I just can’t recommend, it just doesn’t seem to leave the engine well lubricated or clean. I also felt this oil left an off-color on the plugs, making jetting a little more difficult.

Maxima Castor 927: Very slight scuffing on the intake side of the piston, but over-all everything looked good. The ring grooves had slight deposits, and the piston crown and head had slight build-up that was well within reason. The powervalves were gummy, but not to the point of seizing or failing, again within reason for a non-synthetic oil, and excellent for a castor-based oil. Both the top and bottom-end of the engine were very oily and well-lubed with plenty of residual build-up. And the smell of this oil is wonderfully sweet, better than any other oil I’ve used. I liked using this oil just for the smell! Overall a good oil with no real bad points.

Redline: This was a strange oil. The piston and cylinder looked good, with minor shiny spots but no scuffing, and everything was reasonably clean and well-lubed. But this oil actually left surface rust on the crank wheels, and tarnished the carb brass. It also had a tendency to gum up the carb jets for some reason. How a metal surface can be both oily and have rust on it is beyond me, but clearly this oil lacks any proper corrosion-inhibitors, or it has such a high ester content that it has hygroscopic properties. Whichever is the case, I would never use it again, nor could I recommend it.

Mobil 1 MX2T: The piston and cylinder looked great with this oil. No noticable shiny spots or scuffing on the piston at all. The top and bottom of the engine were well lubed with plenty of residual build-up, and even the powervalves were oily and lubed. No other oil that I’ve used compares to the cleanliness of this oil. The piston, head, and powervalves were nearly spotless, the valves didn’t even really need cleaning. If I were a serious racer, this would be my oil of choice. The only reason I no longer use it is the awful, acrid-smelling exhaust it produces. Since I just play-ride with my buddies, they all complained srongly about the smell when they were riding behind me, and my brother-in-law went so far as to tell me he would ban me from riding with him if I didn’t change oils.

Bell Ray H1R: This oil was similar to the Super-M in every way. It left the piston shiney and scuffed-looking, although the top-end wasn't left as dry looking. Deposits were less than with the Super-M, but still heavy enough on the valves to be a problem for riders that run their top-ends for extended periods of time. I could see this oil gumming up the valves enough to cause them to stop functioning. An acceptable but un-exceptional oil.

Yamalube 2R: For a dino-based semi-synthetic oil, this is an exceptional product that performs as well as any full-synthetic that I have used. The piston and cylinder always look good, with no significant shiny spots or scuffing. The ring grooves, piston crown, and combustion chamber were very clean, with only a light circular carbon pattern on the crown and head. The valves are almost as clean as with MX2T, although not clean enough to not need removing and cleaning. The top and bottom of the engine are always well lubed with plenty of residual oil, even on the powervalves. This is my oil of choice, and I whole-heartedly recommend it to everyone, racer and casual rider alike.

These are only a few of the oils on the market. There are plenty of great oils out there for people to use, these are just the ones I have personally used.

...also, wait 'til he post his findings about motul 800 offroad 2T, which at the current, he's using :thumbsup:

• UpAllNight

Posted August 03, 2007 - 02:52 AM

Changed its name to Mobile 1 Racing 2T

Been using it... Got my engine apart as we speak.

Everything looks good as far as engine wear. Best part is it is very clean.

Smokes very little also.

• Pothole

Posted August 03, 2007 - 07:50 AM

Changed its name to Mobile 1 Racing 2T

Been using it... Got my engine apart as we speak.

Everything looks good as far as engine wear. Best part is it is very clean.

Smokes very little also.

I'm running it as well and would have to disagree with the comment about it smelling bad. The odor isn't any worse than any of the other oils I've run. It's not as good smelling as Castrol, but it's not bad at all.

• skipn8r

Posted August 03, 2007 - 08:04 AM

I had a chance to ride two bikes with MX2T recently. I'll have to agree that I didn't find anything bad about the smell. The only problem we had was that the MX2T didn't contain dye, so the pre-mix looked just like straight gas. If you have 2-strokes and 4-strokes, that could be an issue. A little attention to detail should solve that one.

• JJC62879

Posted August 03, 2007 - 08:11 AM

The new formulation of Mobil 1 two stroke oil is dyed red.

• Modmotoman

Posted August 03, 2007 - 08:13 AM

Its has red dye.. You must be using the old kind.
Ok chris be honest....if you had to estimate wear what would be better, CaSTOR 927 or mobil 2t stuff????

• JJC62879

Posted August 03, 2007 - 08:19 AM

The new stuff comes in a Liter bottle and is dyed red. It's not longer called MX2T either, it's just Racing 2T now.

http://www.mobil1.co..._Racing_2T.aspx

• UpAllNight

Posted August 03, 2007 - 09:14 AM

Ok chris be honest....if you had to estimate wear what would be better, CaSTOR 927 or mobil 2t stuff????

Cant really tell a difference except now everything inside the engine is dyes redish brown (fromt he red dye). I will say though... I do feel rings last longer with the Mobile VS the castor... all else seems the same.

• Denn10

Posted August 03, 2007 - 09:27 AM

no doubt full synthetic mobil over 927 castor oil. i use the 4t in my streetbike but havent used the 2t premix but i have used 927.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RideRaceLive123

Posted August 03, 2007 - 10:11 AM

Well, the thing is I was talking to moto814(2-stroke engine builder) and he said he felt that there were better lubricating oils than MX2T but he did say it was clean, but recommend acouple oils that were better than MX2T. And I heard good reports about it here on TT, so I think I'm gonna run it.

What premix ratio do you MX guys run with MX2T? UpAllNight, is there usually a good amount of oil residue in the crank case for the crank?

• Denn10

Posted August 03, 2007 - 10:16 AM

32:1 like your manual prolly says i would stick with that if thats what your running already, cuz im sure your jetting is set for that.

• UpAllNight

Posted August 03, 2007 - 10:16 AM

Well, the thing is I was talking to moto814(2-stroke engine builder) and he said he felt that there were better lubricating oils than MX2T but he did say it was clean, but recommend acouple oils that were better than MX2T. And I heard good reports about it here on TT, so I think I'm gonna run it.

What premix ratio do you MX guys run with MX2T? UpAllNight, is there usually a good amount of oil residue in the crank case for the crank?

I run 26:1

With the YZ250 it has never had alot of migrating oil at the bottom of the crank but there was always some (with the 927 castor). I seem to be getting the same amount of migrating oil at the crank with this Mobile oil that I did with 927.

The older bikes used to really migrate oil in the crank area... but they also didnt run as clean either.

Moto814... sells Amsoil.

• APBT

Posted August 03, 2007 - 11:37 AM

I have been running Racing 2T for two years at 24:1 with excellent results in my 06 YZ250. I would keep the pre-mix ratio in this range, or where UpAllNight is running it. I would NOT recommend any less oil that 32:1.

• moto814

Posted August 03, 2007 - 12:08 PM

Moto814... sells Amsoil.

... And Maxima ... And BelRay ... And Castrol ... And Motul ... And Klotz ... etc...

The Mobil MX2T is a fine oil that burns extremely clean. There are better lubricating oils. But MX2T is far from a bad oil. I wouldn't hesitate to run it in my own bike at all.

Personally I run Klotz R-50, but that is what works best for me and the type of riding I do.

-Steve

• Modmotoman

Posted August 03, 2007 - 12:55 PM

peekAboo i see you

• rusky

Posted August 03, 2007 - 08:04 PM

What kind of riding do you do?

... And Maxima ... And BelRay ... And Castrol ... And Motul ... And Klotz ... etc...

The Mobil MX2T is a fine oil that burns extremely clean. There are better lubricating oils. But MX2T is far from a bad oil. I wouldn't hesitate to run it in my own bike at all.

Personally I run Klotz R-50, but that is what works best for me and the type of riding I do.

-Steve

• moto814

Posted August 03, 2007 - 09:09 PM

What kind of riding do you do?

When I get to ride, it's all motocross. VERY rarely I will go for a run in the woods. But mostly on the track.

I ride a KTM 200SX, but like to run it like a 125.

-Steve

• RCannon

Posted August 04, 2007 - 08:33 AM

Moto814, good to see you back.

I hate to pin you down like this, but not that badly!

If you were concerned with the ultimate lubrication in two stroke oil, what would you use???

• Nitroused383

Posted August 04, 2007 - 10:18 AM

Moto814, good to see you back.

I hate to pin you down like this, but not that badly!

If you were concerned with the ultimate lubrication in two stroke oil, what would you use???

I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that Moto814 said an old silkolene formula from the 90's was the best 2 stroke oil. As far as current 2 stroke oils I beleive Klotz R-50 is #1.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Kx 250f vs yz 250 vs yz125 by kxrider1001

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Everything for a beginner! by danieljames

• 6 replies
Forums
Photo

85 2 stroke or 150R by Bill_B

• Hot  80 replies
Forums
Photo

Worth rebuilding a '00 YZ250? by mr.boombastic

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 10 replies
Forums
Photo

2014 yz250f reliability? from 2 stroke to 4 stroke by Anderay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR/YZ 250F
  • 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.