Shock Spring Lock Ring - Lube threads?

1 reply to this topic
  • Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted July 25, 2000 - 09:32 PM

Say that title fast 10x...

anyhow, I removed the shock spring the other night (I'm changing to the heavier "Big Boy" version) and I noticed that a) the lower ring was a real bitch - under load, go figure :) because it is under load there were small shavings coming off as I loosened the ring.

Should I use a some sort of lube on these threads? (I'm sure Mitch will say lube is good everywhere). If yes, anything in particular? My factory manual does not say to lube these threads - why?

Brian

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MotoGreg

Posted July 26, 2000 - 06:07 PM

Before you do anything you need to clean the threads off so that you aren't trying to turn the ring over dirt and crap and buggering up the threads. I just clean it off with a couple squirts of brake cleaner, then lube it with WD40 and then turn it. Once you have the locknut loose, you can put it on a stand or just tilt it onto the kick stand to lift the rear wheel off the ground and then you can just wrap your hand around the spring and turn it. It'll turn the ring along with the spring.
Posted Image

------------------
MotoGreg - The voice of a new millennium
'99 WR400 - 'cause thumpers rule!
'92 GSXR 7/11 (But I wanna trade it for a dope 916)
You can visit my photo album for $1 - ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK
Sportbike fans, join us at www.insanespeed.com

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.