New Oil Spec? XRL

6 replies to this topic
  • axarob44

Posted August 02, 2007 - 05:11 PM

Just got my new manual for my 07' XRL. I had a 93' manual from when I had a 93'. I ran into some problems when I replaced my left side cover, the 93' manual showed some things that were not on the newer model. Anyway's, the old manual had a graph that showed all the different weights of oil that you could use compared with the temp. of your operating area. The old manual said you could use 20w-50 safely for higher temps. The new manual shows only 10w-30 and 10w-40 as the only oils that you SHOULD use. I'm assuming this has more to do with fuel economy than anything else, bit I have HEARD that it COULD be from closer machining tolerances. I'm thinking the former not the later. Anyone think I shouldn't run 20w-50 in the summer weather? It's been pretty dang hot here in OH, and I am going to 10w-40 this fall. So, what do you think?

• martinfan30

Posted August 02, 2007 - 05:17 PM

i use 20w-50 in the summer here, it can get well into the 100's. then in winter im using 10w-40. it gets pretty cold. winter riding to work i will ride until its 25 deg. fahrenheit. there have been several updates to the manual's over the years. there are several pages that have updated pages stuck ovver the top.

• Denn10

Posted August 03, 2007 - 05:24 AM

that is also the case on some honda street bikes ie cbr600rr and i have heard people saying that was from closer tolerances too, oil recomendation went from 10/40 to 10/30 i dunno sounds like a good ?? to email honda and see what they say.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cleonard

Posted August 03, 2007 - 07:00 AM

Closer tolerances? I don't know about that. Unlike car and many street bike motors many of the bearings are ball type not plain babbitt type bearings. The balls don't even get pressurized oil. The largest number of oil fed non ball bearings are in the trans and I really doubt that the clearances have changed at all there. The manual has all the same clearance numbers on the trans for the 93 or a after 2000 bike.

Don't get me started on the thinner oil will pump more. The pump in the 650L is a lobe type and it is a positive displacement pump. It pumps a fixed volume for every turn. The viscosity makes little difference on how much it pumps. If there is a pop off regulator it could make some difference there.

• martinfan30

Posted August 03, 2007 - 07:23 AM

+1 on cleonard.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted August 03, 2007 - 08:08 AM

Well Cleanard, I don't know where *you* went to "oil-school", but I've been in the bike and oil industry for 35 years *each*, and I have to tell you...

Sorry, couldn't let an oil thread go without some flamin'!!

;-)

Dave

• cleonard

Posted August 03, 2007 - 08:48 AM

Well Cleanard, I don't know where *you* went to "oil-school", but I've been in the bike and oil industry for 35 years *each*, and I have to tell you...

Sorry, couldn't let an oil thread go without some flamin'!!

;-)

Dave

:lol:
Oh man, it happened again. I just innocently come to TT and then it happens. I read a post like this and I laugh. Unfortunately I just took a sip of coffee and now it's all over!:eek:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.