XR650R Fork Re-Spring Help

1 reply to this topic
  • deminimis

Posted August 02, 2007 - 03:00 PM

Hey Kids:

Going with a 4.3 tank, plus I'm bigger than your average bear (around 2 bills). Need to increase the front springs with Eibachs. I've never messed with forks. I do not wish to re-valve. I've already spent more on this bike than I should have, so trying to balance cost and performance. I have the manual. So a couple of questions. It seems changing out the springs would not be a big deal. Just pull the cap, replace the springs, pour out and install new oil, new cap seals/o rings and put it back together. Right? No need to mess with the shims, etc.? Also, I read somewhere that going with 47 and greater springs requires a re-valve. Really? Could it be more of a recommended procedure and not necessarily required? I'll have to look up the chart again, but seems I wanted 47 springs, but again, don't want to re-valve if I can help it. Riding desert and dirt roads/trails mostly. Went with an 11 shock spring already. Thanks.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BWB63

Posted August 02, 2007 - 04:14 PM

Revalving is a very good thing on this bike and is the number one most needed mod. Thinner fluid is a big, big improvement. If you are not a fast, hard rider you might get away with not revalving for a while but, stiffer springs need more rebound control. This is Physics.

There is a lot help on this web page on how and what;

It is vary important that you keep the front and back spring in time with each other. There are spring charts on that web site.

Change the fluid!!!!!! It is whale snot and will rust your rebound shaft. It is very little money to port and reshim the valves if you do it yourself. It is not that hard but, does take some time to make the tool and make sure you read/understand everything as you do it.

Related Content

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

• Hot  37 replies

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.